• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

"The Sirens Song"....No.14 HH1

Started by HuntnCarve, October 15, 2009, 08:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

A rainy, cold morning here in PA.  I had already downed my first cup of coffee and poured the second, when I decided I best open the curtains downstairs.  Drawing back the curtain like I do every morning, I cast a mechanical glance over towards the neighbor's pumpkin patch along his shed.  Like everything this time of year, it was browned up and on it's last leg.  "What the hell!!!" I gasped as a whopper of a chuck ambled out of the patch and made a beeline for my shed.  He paused momentarily to cast a wary glance at the grizzled figure in the patio door..I froze.. Then he moved towards my shed.  I knew I must act quickly!  Bounding up the stairs, I grabbed the Ol' Mossberg from the bedroom, and sprinted to the deck door.  Quietly opening it, I grimaced at the "creak" it made...Looking towards the shed, I did not see the chuck?  Turning my gaze towards HH1 I saw a plump dark blob sitting atop it's welcome mat.  "Ah, he's fallen victim to it's sweet Sirens Song..."

About the time I acquired him in the scope, he decided to take a stroll uptown to take in the Autumn foliage...  I waited agonizing hours (actually was only a second or two) for him to come out around the Hackberry tree.  Finally he stepped out broadside.  I quicky placed the crosshairs behind his shoulder and squeezed off a CB.  "Whop!"  The hog dropped and rolled onto his side like he was hit with a .460 Weatherby!  Jacking another round into the chamber I prepared for any subsequent escape attempts?  Good thing I was ready, for I noticed he had rolled onto his belly, then onto his back, belly, back...Obviously a para military move to try and find concealment, or acquire the Honey Holes bunker like protection...About the time he oriented himself and had a head on bearing on HH1, I fired off another round at his chest. "Plop!"  Down for the count!

The wife was in a good mood, and said "yes" to taking a hero shot (or else she was checking out how muddy my shoes were before I came into the house???)  So here you be.  Chuck Number 14 from Honey Hole 1.   Seems only yesterday that I was contemplating putting up the "Closed for the season...Reason...Freezin!"  sign on the Honey Holes.  I believe I'll extend the season a few more weeks..Good hunting to you all!

Dave

Post Note:  He was big boar chuck.  He had a fresh bite mark on his back leg.  Probably a souvenier from an earlier "eviction" encounter..
I went in through the garage, and washed my shoes off in the utility sink..Saving myself a thorough tongue lashing, and possible "eviction" encounter!  LOL!

vvarmitr

Way cool Dave! :thumb2:

The Missus must have been in a good mood, or started drinking a little earlier than normal.  :huh:
:roflmao:

pitw

Good report once again Dave and I can't get over how big them things can get :yoyo:.  What do they eat at this time of year and do they hibernate?
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HuntnCarve

Barry,

I'm guessing on this one, but he probably tipped the scales at 14-15 Lbs.  They eat clover, grass, all farm crops... They usually hibernate for the Winter. Heading to the den about the end of October into November.   But will occassionally awaken, and wander outside their Winter dens.  I've seen them in the snow in January.  And occassionally on a sunny day mid Winter. About February the males will start roaming around looking for a female in these parts.

nastygunz

Haha....great stories and pix...I love hunting chucks...we grew up riding around with our .22 rifles looking for them in the fields, it was a very popular way of life amongst the men and boys...nowadays the gas gets pretty expensive...theres one near me driving me nuts cuz hes very brazen but in a non shootable spot...I always drive by and look at him...and think...GRRRRRRR... :wink:

pitw

Quote from: HuntnCarve on October 15, 2009, 09:32:49 AM
Barry,

I'm guessing on this one, but he probably tipped the scales at 14-15 Lbs.  They eat clover, grass, all farm crops... They usually hibernate for the Winter. Heading to the den about the end of October into November.   But will occassionally awaken, and wander outside their Winter dens.  I've seen them in the snow in January.  And occassionally on a sunny day mid Winter. About February the males will start roaming around looking for a female in these parts.

Thanks for the info Dave :yoyo:.  If you guys keep teaching me all this neat stuff I'm learning, one day I'll be able to post on these forum thingy's like I know something :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Congratulations on another one.  No not the groundhog, but learning to go to the garage and clean your shoes BEFORE entering the house.    You did well.

Jerry

P.S. Nice work on the hog too.

timbertoes

:eyebrownod:
Now you have to carve the Chuck story into your next call  :laf:
Meet your adversary on a common ground of wits and skill.
Leave the E-caller at home with the video games.

Carolina Coyote

Way to go Dave, can't wait to see a story when you kill a Coyote or Bobcat.  :biggrin:  :yoyo: cc

HaMeR

:laf: :laf:  Another good HH story Dave!!  :yoyo:  Altho I sure do miss the days where you trip over everything in sight on your way to grab ol Mossy.  :innocentwhistle:

:roflmao:  Glad you didn't get hurt this time & that you've made amends with the little Missus.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

NNNNNNNnnnnnnnice!
You HAVE GOT to have a freezer full of them bad boys by now. You folks are set for winter. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

LORDDAL

para military move  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Dave you crack me up awsome story and great job on the pasture Grizz

Charlie
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

JohnP

Thank you for the story. If hunted on a regular basis do they become nocturnal?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

JohnP,

If hunted regularly, they become super wary!  We're talking bolting down a hole at the mere sight of a human at 400 yards plus!  Crouched in their burrows, they'll only show the top inch of their heads (eyes are close to the top of their head) as they assess their surroundings.  It's said they have very good eye sight. Definitely a "riflemans" target.  I've only ever seen one out at night, and was surprised.  Too many night time predators roaming around.  So they've become a day time animal. 

Dave

Todd Rahm

Man sounds like I need to move to chuck country with the 17 HMR.  :biggrin: Dave, I really enjoy your chuck stories and pictures and ya sure have a fun writing style.

What can we find ya to do through the winter to write about?  :innocentwhistle: