• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Reloading failure (with pics this time!)

Started by KySongDog, November 13, 2009, 05:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

An ex-cop who now runs a firearms training school sent me this.  A word to the wise about reloading............

For those of you that reload you will never have a problem if you use common sense and do not go too far with trying to make your homemade rounds more powerful.  However, some people do not realize that stuffing too much powder, the wrong powder, or mixing powders can be not only dangerous, but lethal.  Here is a case involving one or some combination of these problems that culminated in a near tragedy for some unfortunate soul.

A person (not named in this email) brought a Smith & Wesson Model 629 into police HQ and told the officers he wanted to dispose of his handgun.  He told officers he was testing a new load when he heard a loud bang and the gun flew up and struck him in the forehead leaving a nasty gash.  After he regained his senses this is what he saw . . .

Now this is what you would call a catastrophic failure.  The bottom line is that reloading is safe as long as you are not stupid.  Buy a reloading book and learn what the maximum loads are for your cartridge and stay well within those limits.  This could have been a whole lot more serious than it was.

Carolina Coyote

AMEN!!!

slagmaker

cant see the pics for some reason or other.

But you are correct! Follow the rules and guidlines and problems are few
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: slagmaker on November 13, 2009, 09:30:25 AM
cant see the pics for some reason or other.

But you are correct! Follow the rules and guidlines and problems are few

Ditto to the above.

Jerry

GunDog

Hummm.........what button to push for the pics.......... :confused: :shrug: :confused: :wo:

FOsteology

FinsnFur

Looks like the images were pasted from the context of a Google email account.
That wont work as you were logged in when you were viewing it, were not. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

:doh2:  Got lazy and tried to take the easy way out.   :nono:    I fixed the pics, sorry about that.   :eyebrownod:

5 SHOTS

My personal opinion.....that is NOT a reloading failure...it is a reloader failure. I hope no one was hurt seriously.
This is the sort of thing that gives reloading a bad name.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

FOsteology

If the guy walked away with just a bump on his noggin'.... he better rush out and purchase a lottery ticket.

centerfire_223

Now that is a perfect example of loading them HOT!!!!!!  :biggrin:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Wow, it didnt just bust open the cylinder it took out the neighboring rounds. :holdon:
Holy crap
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Wouldn't want to have been next to him on the firing line!!  :rolleye:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell