• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Propane tank troubles.

Started by vvarmitr, July 25, 2010, 08:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

I was going to put this in the plumbing section, but figured it would be more fun in here.  :eyebrownod:

Here's my problem; I'm annealing my brass & I switch tanks. Now as I'm using the new tank I keep getting yellow flame. Sometimes a lot of it.
I notice sweating around the stem above the valve.  If I turn the valve more open I get what looks like steam coming out of the holes. :confused:

My thoughts are #1 A bad tank & #2 it's to humid to work right.   :wo:

Well smart guys any clues? :shrug:

5 SHOTS

It sounds like you are getting liquid instead of vapor. If you set the torch on a flat level surface does it burn normally?
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Yotehntr

The burners I work on are a lot bigger than propane tanks but the same property's should apply... yellow flame means not enough air/oxygen.  Are the air holes clogged up with something restricting air flow from the back of the burner? ... As far as water, that's just a by product of burning gas....ever notice driving behind a freshly started car water coming from the tail pipe?   The exhaust hasn't gotten hot enough to turn it to steam yet.  :wink:  I honestly don't believe humidity should have any affect.  The burners I work on are for Air supply houses and ovens (Paint plant stuff).
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

vvarmitr

Got to wondering if I ever answered back to you guys.  :wo:
Guess not. :doh2:

The problem was I was tilting the bottle/ tank down hill. Once I bent the tubing so I didn't have to do that; it worked fine. :thumb2:
Got 200 25WSSM all prepped & ready to go plus 100 225Win.
They could pass for those Lapua jewels now.  :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

:doh2: yeah that would do it. You cant turn a propane tank upside down while your using it. If you do, you get liquid, and it doesnt burn.
Propane is funky stuff. Most dont know it but it's only flammable when mixed with air at a rate of somewhere around 2 to 9 %. So you were basically smothering the flame out with lack of air and an over abundance of liquid.
Propane wont ignite in the air like everyone thinks either unless it has a source to ignite it thats over 900 degrees
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

Gee Jimbo, you're soooo smart! Over a month late, but smart.  :iroll:
If it weren't for Art & Brad I'd still be rubbing two sticks together to anneal my brass.  :sarcas3:
:laf:
Good info there.

FinsnFur

:laf: never seen the thread :shrug:
My Stepdad taught me torch 101 when I was 15 laying under my 1973 Duster trying to heat the exhaust manifold bolts with a torch.
I siad this is freaking ridiculous, I can reach these a whole lot better from the top. He says as much as I'd like to see you try, we aint got time. And it wont work because blaa bla bla...

See Dad...I was listening. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

vvarmitr

Ah-ha! You had one of those Dads that taught you how to work.  :biggrin:
:yoyo:  :yoyo:  :yoyo:  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

:eyebrownod: As much as I hated it because I had other things to do...yes sir.
By my 16th birthday I wanted my own roller cabinet. What kinda crap is that?
But what I learned from that man and engines has taken me a LOoooong way in life, and saved me thousands.

I can't even count the number of junk cars I bought and got em running just cause I had to have another motor to tear down.
I enjoyed it  :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers