• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bunny hunt

Started by KySongDog, January 19, 2011, 04:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

A buddy of mine has access to some beagles so we decided to try our luck at a local WMA.  I didn't expect much action because I know this place gets hammered hard from opening day to the close of season.   I didn't really care because I haven't been rabbit hunting in many years and was really wanting to see and hear the dogs again.   

Here is a pic of the stars of the day:

Maggie, Katie, and Lucy

And the one lone bunny for the day.  Rabbit hunting with a scoped shotgun is interesting to say the least.   :laf:  I saw two more but only got glimpses of them running through the thick cover of the over grown fields.

We only got to hunt for about 3 hours but had a great time.  I had almost forgotten how much fun rabbit hunting with dogs can be. 

pitw

Pppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttt.

Now that I thought about it, maybe you weren't trying to make me think of Heff's hills and you really are just telling a story. 
  I would enjoy taking in one of those hunt's with you very much as long as you are packing the gun in the thick stuff.  Never ever been behind beagles :pout:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

I envy your hunt.  I haven't hunted with beagles for years, but it sure was fun when I did. 

Jerry

coyote101

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 19, 2011, 05:18:40 PM
I haven't hunted with beagles for years, but it sure was fun when I did. 

Jerry

I'm with Jerry, I only got to do it a few times years ago, but it was great fun. Glad you had a good day.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Quote from: pitw on January 19, 2011, 04:57:18 PM

Now that I thought about it, maybe you weren't trying to make me think of Heff's hills and you really are just telling a story. 

Barry, I do not have a clue who or what Heff's hills is or what you are talking about.   :nono:

FinsnFur

I'm seeing some gloves but no snow :confused:
The last time I hunted behind Beagles I used a 22lr. It was fun, and it was a looong time ago.

Sounds like you enjoyed it Semp :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Glad you got out with the Beagles Semp. Those are some nice looking rabbit gitters up there. I haven't hunted behind Beagles for,,  :wo:   :confused: hell I aint gonna lie,, decades.  :laf: :laf:  About 28-30 years it's been.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Quote from: HaMeR on January 20, 2011, 03:22:41 AM
Glad you got out with the Beagles Semp. Those are some nice looking rabbit gitters up there. I haven't hunted behind Beagles for,,  :wo:   :confused: hell I aint gonna lie,, decades.  :laf: :laf:  About 28-30 years it's been.

Sounds like most of us are in the same boat.  I used to hunt rabbits a lot when my friend John was alive.  He had some really good dogs.  I never kept dogs myself. Never seemed to have the time to fool with them. 

The dogs in the pic belong to my buddy's brother who lives in Indiana.  My friend picked them up and brought them to KY so we could hunt together.  I really appreciated him doing that.  That little trip through the fields yesterday brought back some great old memories. 

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 19, 2011, 07:34:15 PM
I'm seeing some gloves but no snow :confused:

The snow from the last storm has melted.   But we are due to get  2-4 inches today.   They have already called off school for today and the first snow flake hasn't even hit yet.   :laf:

Dave

Hunting w/beagles is a blast.  Brings back some great memories looking at those dogs.  It's been about ten yrs for me.  Thanks for the post.

dog dropper

Man does that rabbit look tasty! Great job
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!!!

shaddragger

My brother-in-law has a 6-pack of beagles and that has to be the most fun you can have with dogs! I used to coon hunt but beagles busting bunnies is much more fun.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen