#11 for 2011 in Tenn.

Started by Teamroper, July 15, 2011, 08:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamroper

Hunters: Teamroper & 37L1
Time: AM
Temp: 74
Wind: Slight
Other weather conditions: We just had a big rainstorm come in the night before and early into the morning. Actually Lon got pounded for a short while on his way to my house. Still sprinkling here and there as we drove to our first stand location.
No. of Stands: 2
No. of Coyotes Seen: 4
No. Shot: 1
Calls used: Female Howl, Lightning Jack, Wounded Pup, Pup Screams

Notes:

1st Stand- Extremely humid right from the get-go. Already pretty warm at 6 AM and there were a lot of bugs out. Went to a favorite honey-hole that Lon and I love to hunt and set up. This time we were only about 6 ft away from each other and could see a complete 180 degrees.

Started off with a female howl and we were immediately answered by about 3 or 4 pups to my extreme right about 150 yds off. Tried a couple of other female howls and they still continued to respond but refused to come any closer. After I finished my regular howl sequence I went to the rabbit distress. On the 8 minute mark I had a large coyote come in on my right side along a fenceline. He was headed right for the decoy but stopped about 50 yds to the right of it. I knew that if he came in another 10 yds we would not be able to get a shot because of the herd of cattle that had surrounded our decoy. With this being the only time to get a safe shot I decided to take it. Unfortunately I missed him/her at 120 yds. And yes, I was sick and cussing myself for missing such an easy shot. It bolted up the fenceline and out of sight.

I finally got my wits back together and continued to call. This time I was angled a little more to my right so that I could cover my whole right side and Lon could take care of anything else that tried to sneak in from another direction. On the 20 minute mark here came another coyote a mere 40 yds to my direct right out of the woods that we were backed up against and he was headed right for the decoy at a slow trot. I could see a cow and calf below the coyote a fair piece but knew that I had to get him stopped quick or I would have to forget it. I “woofed” at him once and he stopped. The 22-250 dropped him in his tracks and ironically I could never find an entrance or exit wound on this yote. I guess another one that died of a heart attack. I felt good that I had redeemed myself after missing the first coytoe. We weighed him in at 35.85 lbs. What a way to start the day off but it wasn't over.

2nd Stand- We traveled about 10 miles up the road to the second stand. We entered a fresh cut and baled hay field and setup on a round bale myself and a treeline for Lon. I did my regular routine with the female howl and in less than 3 minutes I saw a coyote sticking his head out of the edge of the woods. As I pulled the gun up to put the scope on him he took about two steps out into the field and then decided he didn't like something and left. I never got a chance to get a shot on him. I kept an eye peeled on that part of the woods in case he changed his mind.

I then went into the rabbit distress for about 10 mins and then went to the pup screams. On about the 18 min mark a darker looking coyote came running out of the woods heading straight for the decoy. He got with 30 yds of me, stopped for a split second and then did a 180 and headed back for the woods. I woofed at him and finally got him stopped at about 130 yds and took a shot. Missed again. Bummer!
No excuses. Yes it was extremely hot and sticky and I was tired from a long work week, but other than that no excuses. Overall it was a great day. I got to hunt with one of my favorite hunting partners, we heard a small pack of coyote pups, saw 4 coyotes in 2 stands and killed one. To top things off I came home and pulled my trail cam only to see a great pic of a bobcat. What a day. I know it's hot and miserable out there but they're still out there and they're still “coming to the call” LOL. See ya in the woods.

When you stop learning from everybody else you are going backwards.

There's nothing like roping, riding and shooting, but boy, my horse hates it!-Teamroper

FinsnFur

Very Nice!
I'm walking around in my flip flops and shorts cause it's so hot out, and people like you are in full fatigues killing coyotes :yoyo:

Your a bigger man than I.
Thanks for sharing the outing, and congrats on the furdown :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Great write up.  :biggrin:  Nice looking coyote too. Well done.  :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Way to go.  :highclap: :highclap: Nice write up, thanks for the story.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

riverboss

Good job  :congrats:   ive been trying to get out but when its in the 70s at 6am im stayin home, by the time summer is over i believe i will have enough reloaded ammo to kill coyotes for years.

Frogman

Good calling and shooting, well on the second one anyway?!?!  Thanks for the story and pictures!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bambam