• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Dangerous Creature

Started by JohnP, June 01, 2012, 07:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I was sitting on the patio enjoying a nice cold glass of sun tea when I caught a flicker of motion in the flower garden.  After looking for a minute or two from 15 feet I thought it was just these old eyes playing tricks on me, nothing there John.  Back to my ice tea and just a few seconds later again I thought I noticed movement.  Into the house for the tripod and 20x50 Zeiss, from 15 feet away this glass is well worth the money.  I cautiously moved forward using the concealment of the patio post to see what was going on.   Binoc  steady as a rock as I scanned the foliage.  Then I saw it! Slowly raising my Crossman high-powered big game pellet rifle I took careful aim knowing that this was a once in a lifetime shot for a real trophy.  At the sound of the shot “the creature” dropped out of sight â€" could I have missed? Dropping another precision made .177 lead pellet in the chamber I slowly approached the garden.  There he is, dead as any pocket gopher can be.  After a few fist pumps and some dancing it was time for the hero shot. 

Pocket gopher, six inches from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail, what a trophy, he is in the fur shed as I type this.  I am not certain if I’ll have a rug made, full mount or just a head and shoulder for the trophy room. 
P.S.  Tenderloins fried in bacon grease â€" to die for, as they say in Hollywood.  Life is good and all is well on the Arizona border.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

I was so into the story I dropped my damned chalupa..hes a beauty! :yoyo:....I never heard of them had to google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_gopher

Okanagan

Sounds Boone & Crocket size to me compared to his ilk.  Good eye, good stalk and steady shooting:  can't improve on that. 

I discovered precsion air rifle pellets and never looked back.  I shoot Beeman Silver Jet pointed pellets for grouse in my pellet pistol.  Each one looks like it was turned on a precsion lathe by a Swiss elf, and they shoot tight groups from the 10 inch rifled barrel.

HaMeR

WOW!! It's a good thing you seen that rascal moving Mr. John!! The destruction could have been devestating!! Congratulations on a great stalk & a well placed shot!!!!!!  Looks like you chose the correct round under these immensely trying circumstances & were able to pull the shot off with minimal hide damage.  I'm thinking full body mount in a ferocious pose of sorts with it laying over a rock like it's sunning itself.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

Looks to me like a scout?  Probably laying the ground work for a full fledged invasion?  Glad to know you are prepared John.  Here's hoping you have a Summer full of opportunities.  Best brew up another pitcher of iced tea and settle in....
Good shooting by the way!  A fine trophy. :highclap:

Dave

iahntr

I'm pretty sure, if you can swing it, and have the room for it, I'd do a full body mount on that one !    :biggrin:
Thanks for sharin the hunt with us  :highclap:
Scott

nailbender

shaddragger

:innocentwhistle: What does he score on Boone & Crockett?
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Hidehunter

:highclap:  :highclap: Great shot!  You could have been killed  :whew:
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

I would have liked to seen the victory dance :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates