• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

"The good neighbor"..

Started by HuntnCarve, August 17, 2012, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Walking out onto the back deck this afternoon, I casually glanced over towards the neighbors shed.  For a couple of weeks I’ve noticed some fresh excavations showing under the door of his garden shed?  I figured it was the work of a hog.  Well as it so happened, my suspicions were correct.  For starring back at me was a plump grey hog.  He was coming around the corner of their shed about the time I spotted him.  He quickly darted into the hole under the shed door.  Unbeknownst to him, I just so happened to have the .22 propped just inside the door of my deck.  Easing my way over to the gas grill, I rested the rifle on the cover and took up vigil.  About 5 minutes into my wait, I saw his grey head appear at the mouth of the hole.  I had to wait a few seconds till his mind gave him the “all clear” signal, at which time he inched a little further out smack into the crosshairs!  A wooden tie provided a perfect backstop for the slug in the event of a pass through.  Delicately placing the crosshairs on his ear, I touched off a round.  The hog collapsed in the scope.  Eyeing him up in the scope I observed a bright red trickle exuding from the new hole a hair below his ear.  Just about that time he wilted out of sight at the mouth of the hole.  Upon arriving at the front of the hole I saw where his death throes had worked him back into the den just out of reach.  Dang it!  Figuring I would have to do a little excavating myself in order to retrieve my prize, I figured it best I inform the neighbors?
His wife and he greeted me at the door.  When I told them of my accomplishment, they joined me at the front of the shed to partake in the festivities.  Peg told me that this particular hog had scared her a couple of times while she was working in the garden down below, when it would saunter down “bold as brass” from the back of the shed.  The little fiend would scare her no more!  With the aid of a flashlight and a grappling tool, I soon latched onto the chuck’s hind leg and pulled him from his subterranean haunt.  To the delight of the neighbors, I extended them the courtesy of back filling the chuck’s diggings with some rock and dirt.  Good as new!  My work was done…
So here he is, No.9 for the year.  Until next time.  Good hunting!

HuntnCarve
Dave

FOsteology

FinsnFur

Beautiful work.
So if you dug the hog outta the hole, and filled the hole, what'd you do with the hog? :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Nice job on grilling that hog Dave!!!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

CCP

I love reading these post and viewing the pictures. :congrats: We have very, very few here and only see 3 or 4 along the highway a year. I had never killed one until earlier this year. I tried to miss it by swerving but the rear wheel caught it. I really wanted my first groundhog kill to be with a rifle.

One of these days I will sneak into Yankee territory to hunt these little buggers. :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Dave

Nice shootin Dave.  Have you been back there to re-open up that hole for new tennants?   :biggrin:

HuntnCarve

Richard, you don't have to "sneak" up here.  Anytime you are up this way you are welcome to go out chuck hunting with me.  Guess we take them for granted, and consider them varmints in these parts.  I cut my shooting teeth on groundhog hunting starting with an old .22 rifle over forty years ago. :laf: Reached the "zenith" when I was able to purchase a real groundhog rifle, a Remington 700 BDL in .222 Remington.  From there it just escalated. LOL!  Now I got a whole bevy of varmint rifles.  I gotta say, that my .220 Swift is undoubtedly a groundhogs worst nightmare when serious chucking needs to be done. :laf: But then again?  HaMer and Diane seem to get the job done with the .17's and the Fireball. :wink:

Dave

HuntnCarve

Thanks Dave!  Fortunately, the back of the shed has an emergency hog exit that somehow got overlooked? :innocentwhistle:  Can I help it that it provides an excellent chuck shooting spot...Oh well, Summers not over yet. :wink:  Good luck out your way.  I know for a fact your chucks are on constant "life alert" vigil. :laf:

HnC Dave

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers