• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hurricane Hog..

Started by HuntnCarve, October 27, 2012, 10:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

I was on the phone this morning with our buddy "Dave" and we were discussing the upcoming Hurricane Sandy that is forecast to smack right into us about Monday.  Well as we were talking, I kept glancing out the back deck door.  Something over across the soybean field about 65 yards away had caught my eye?
After hanging up with Dave, I grabbed the binos and took a good look.  A clump of dried grass was jerking about, even though there was no wind???
Well Lo and behold, it was a chubby chuck!  Seems he was gathering up some grass and battening down the hatches to his home in the face of an oncoming storm. Little did he know he had other immediate worries? For Hurricane "HaMer" was about to descend! :eyebrow: Identification made, I raced for the rifle and set up shop on the deck.  Precious minutes ticked by as I watched the hog make repeat trips to and from his den.  I could never see his face, as there was always a mouthful of grass obscuring my vision. -In his mouth, not mine. :laf: Finally he turned broadside and paused long enough for me to attempt a boiler room shot.  At the crack of the rifle, he hunched up, then wheeled around in a tight circle.  A second later he was rolled on his back, give a kick, and was done.  So here's No.10 for the year.  I apologize for the Bopeye quality :laf: blurry picture, as it was taken through the lense of my spotting scope across the way. You can see his black arm pointing upward. The soybeans are in a delicate state, and I wouldn't dare attempt walking through them to examine a expired hog.  But I know how you all like photos.
I do fear I've reduced the resident hog's numbers down quite drastically.  For this one was the first I've seen in a good while.  Meantime, the red fox will be banqueting tonight.  Good hunting!

HuntnCarve
Dave

FinsnFur

:congrats: :yoyo: and he even takes a pic through the spotting scope for us.
Nicely done Dave.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

It sounds to me like a good shot and a classic case of over hunting.  Give them a rest for about 4 or 5 years and you will be able to double your number.   :innocentwhistle:   Around here their numbers are down to where I got all excited when I saw one outside of town last week.  I made more of a fuss over that groundhog than I do when I see deer.

As for the storm, button down the hatches, stay on the high ground, and keep all that water out of this area.  I might be able to go deer hunting next week if it stays dry.

Jerry

Dave

You rescued his ass from drowning.  :highclap:

HaMeR

:confused:  Is that the same "Dave" that was making fun of your deer nuggets Dave?? I'm assuming it was the same "Dave" Dave. "Dave" should be glad you still call him "Dave" Dave.    :alscalls: :alscalls:

Nice shootin Dave!! #10 in the books with winter on the way. I think you done rather well!! You even dropped the HaMeR on a couple long range hogs this year!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

Yep!  It's the very same Dave.  Can't seem to duck him (or vice versa) ever since I met him at college thirty years back.  Can you believe that one year he even challenged me to a "hog" shooting contest.  He shot off his land, and I off mine.... Well, I let him jump ahead with an early lead...Then I dropped the HaMer on him.  Ended up winning the contest. LOL!  Meantime, I could not ask for a better friend all these years. So for that I'll put up with his making fun of my deer hunting abilities.  :laf:

HuntnCarve
Dave

HaMeR

:laf:  You guys sure have a special friendship for sure Dave!! And I know better than to challenge the Master of the Honey Holes to an outright contest!! I would however run it past the Huntress & see if she had any interest in one.  :innocentwhistle:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

Just finished reading all your GH exploits.  They are enough to keep a guy coming back everyday, if for no other reason than just to see if a new story has been posted.  Thank you Dave.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

Hey Mr. John,

Glad you got caught up.  Folks in these parts are pretty ticked off at the groundhog predicting a Early Spring?  Well Spring arrived, and we've had two snows! :huh:
Meantime, I'm up to two hogs this year already.  Both taken a few weeks back out across the field.  It was too muddy to hike over and get a photo.  I saw one out in the same area today.  It's got a den dug out under a log like a bunker.  I think they are on to me? :laf:  Hopefully I'll be able to write out a few hog hunting tales as the season progresses.   :eyebrow:  Glad you enjoy them.

HuntnCarve
Dave

Frogman

They are just about extinct here.  I think the coyotes got them.  I saw one behind my house last summer.  Left it for seed!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!