• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hog double

Started by coyote101, July 12, 2013, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

My mother in law lives on a farm a couple of hours from me. She has been complaining about a couple of groundhogs that have taken up residence under an old shed by her barn. My wife and I went to visit her for a couple of days, and I thought I might try to help her out with her hog problem.  :eyebrow: I took along a .22 rimfire and a .22 Hornet in case an opportunity presented itself.

We got there right at the tail end of a severe thunderstorm. It wasn't more than ten or fifteen minutes after the rain had stopped before they showed themselves out by the shed. I was able to get into a good position about ninety yards away with the Hornet. They were two or three yards apart and I dropped the one on the left with the first shot. The other one didn't seem to be alarmed by the shot and just looked around for a few seconds before going back to her groundhog business. I put the crosshairs on her and pulled the trigger. It was clearly a hit, but she didn't drop in her tracks. Obviously wounded, she crawled a couple of yards and disappeared under the wall of the barn before I could shoot again.

I loaded up the rimfire and headed out, hoping to avoid a confrontation with a wounded hog in the confines of the barn. :sad3: When I got out there, I found her stone cold dead just inside the barn. :whew: Two up, two down.

I checked several times over the next day and a half, but never saw anything else. Problem solved?  :shrug: Only time will tell, but if the mother in law calls, I'll do my best to help her out.  :wink:

Pat

There they are, frolicking between the shed and barn without a care in the world:

The first one dropped at the shot.

The second one crawled through a puddle before expiring a few yards away.

Resting comfortably in the barnyard.
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Wow!  Jim Corbett of groundhog hunters!

(That's an unalloyed compliment, not anything else).   :yoyo: :highclap:  Also, that's sure a pretty spot.

Hawks Feather

One shot, one kill.

Two shots, two kills.

Way to go!

Jerry

Dave

Nice shooting!  :congrats:
Somehow I have a feeling they'll have followers.  That's too nice of a view with two vacancies just opening up. 

Frogman

WTG!!  Good shooting!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Nice shooting, Pat.   I found a big ol ground hog hole in my neighborhood and have seen the ground hog but haven't figured out how to shoot it without bringing the sheriff down on me.   I wish silencers weren't so expensive. 

coyote101

Quote from: Semp on July 13, 2013, 10:50:31 AM
Nice shooting, Pat.   I found a big ol ground hog hole in my neighborhood and have seen the ground hog but haven't figured out how to shoot it without bringing the sheriff down on me.   I wish silencers weren't so expensive. 

Crossbow   :eyebrow:
Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

WldWldWest

Good shootin Pat!
Pretty sure HaMaR is gonna be jeolous.
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

HaMeR

Nice job on the eradication efforts Pat!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

So when do we get to see the old Hornet??  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Nicely done :congrats: I'm with Dave in saying that looks like too nice of a place to stay vacant too long. :laf:

HaMeR, you can see the Hornet in the corner of the third pic :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 14, 2013, 09:47:06 AM
HaMeR, you can see the Hornet in the corner of the third pic :eyebrow:

Good eye Jim, but that's actually the barrel of the Glenfield Model 60 that I took when I went to see if the second one was still alive in the barn. The Hornet is a stainless Ruger 77/22 with laminated stock.

Here it is:

Pat
NRA Life Member

kyfuzzyface

WTG Pat that little Hornet is wicked on the hogs, I have a old Savage 340E that has droped several in it days.
Fuzzy

HaMeR

That sure is a purdy little rig Pat!!  A real groundhog stopper in these parts for many decades now.  Thanks for posting it.  :yoyo: :yoyo: I'm thinking I would like a Hornet too but I'm leaning toward the 17HH.

Jim-- You gotta admit pics of a tube fed Hornet woulda been great to see eh?  :eyebrow: :eyebrow: 
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Quote from: HaMeR on July 20, 2013, 09:56:35 AM
Jim-- You gotta admit pics of a tube fed Hornet woulda been great to see eh?  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Well, I kinda thought so. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

WTG Pat, good shooting , looks like the area around there is getting rain like we are here in SC. cc