• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Kentucky squirrel huntin

Started by KyBoarSlayer, October 11, 2014, 06:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyBoarSlayer

Hi y'all,
me and the boy got out on the creek behind the house for a memorable hunt. In Ky, you can hunt squirrel from a boat. and it works quite well. Here's a few bushytails we knocked down, actually he knocked down, i let him do the shooting, i just drove the boat lol. I put in a full choke, as most of the shots are out there at 50 yards or more. Used #6 remington long range shells, and didnt lose a squirrel.

Equally as important , we had an amazing meal of Brunswick Stew, an old Southern recipe. It was spicy, healthy, and downright delicious. Okra, lima beans, corn, potatoes, hot sauce , and other good stuff. Oh yeah, and cornbread too!  I cant remember ever having any better squirrel, it was off the bone and tender, and SO good.

All in all a great hunt.

Billy Jack

coyote101

Looks like a great time Billy Jack.  :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

That sounds like fun, especially with a son!  Any chance of posting that recipe?  It sounds delicious and looks good though I might leave out the okra.  My folks loved it and I picked up many of their southern tastes-- but not for okra.   :biggrin:

msmith

Sweet! Looks good. Now you got me hankerin' squirrel pot pie.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

FinsnFur

Very nice!. Thats quite a haul :congrats:
Mannnnn that stew looks good
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Big ole squarrils! We like to float down the connecticut river between NH and VT squirreling, big oaks n cornfields, lotta grays.

Frogman

WTG!!  Good to see the young'uns getting out!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Dale

yessir... fine day all around... that Brunswick stew looks absolutely wonderful...    :highclap:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

KyBoarSlayer

Thanks, y'all,
and about that recipe, I looked at several sources online,  and combined what i thought were the best of each. I let the squirrels soak in a salt water solution over night in the fridge, i think that helps a lot with pulling the gaminess out. Also got to brown the squirrel in a pan before putting it to the stew. I let it stew for an hour or two, then pull the squirrel out and debone it. then put it back and stew for a while more. Dont add the vegetables, especially okra, till like half an hour before eatin'.
Heres Duck Dynastys version, captures the spirit pretty much, except i cooked on low heat for longer period of time:

Duck Dynasty Brunswick Stew

Print
Ingredients

3 medium squirrels, cleaned and cut up*
    2 teaspoons salt, divided
    1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoons bacon grease, divided*
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 (28-oz) cans whole tomatoes in juice
    3 cups chicken broth
    4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
    16 oz bag frozen lima beans
    16 oz bag cut okra
    10 oz bag frozen corn
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon hot sauce, plus additional for serving

Instructions

Pat squirrel dry and sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
    Combine flour and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish; dredge squirrel in flour mixture.
    Heat 2 tablespoons bacon grease in a wide heavy-bottom pot over medium-high heat. Add squirrel and cook 3 minutes per side or until browned. Remove squirrel from pot.
    Heat remaining 1 tablespoon bacon grease in pot. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until tender.
    Add tomatoes, broth, thyme and squirrel. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
    Stir in lima beans, okra, corn, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender. Serve with additional hot sauce and cornbread.
    Notes: Substitute 1 (3-lb) whole chicken, cut up, for squirrel, if desired. Vegetable oil may be substituted for bacon grease.

nailbender

Now you did it.  I'm starving for squirrel stew! :laf:  Kudos on hunting with your boy, I sure miss those days.

possumal

You are bringing back a lot of fond memories for me, Billy Jack. Sharing quality time with your son is as good as it gets.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

JohnP

My squirrel hunting buddy does a very similar stew, only he does his in a pressure cooker.  He starts by first browning the squirrel, then puts it in the pressure cooker with some red wine, about 10 minutes later all the meat falls off the bones and he then adds all the other ingredients, back on the stove for another ten minutes and it's ready.     
When they come for mine they better bring theirs