• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

63 days to go.

Started by trailtwister, July 12, 2015, 06:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

Squirrel season opens in 63 days from today. Looking forward to the day rain or shine. If it rains I will just set in one of my deer blinds and shoot a limit. If it is dry I will set in one of my deer blinds and shoot a limit.
You see when the squirrels think you are deer hunting they feel safe and are all around the blind even climbing up to look in the window some times.
I'll start out with one of my 22lr guns a Ruger 77-22 is a favorite along with a Remington 572 field master. Once they finally get spooky about being around the deer blinds I will switch to the Savage 93F 22 mag and extend the range. After about a month they will clear out of the area even for the long range 22 mag so I will have to move to sitting against trees here and there to collect a limit. this year they will be corn fed since I have a huge corn field right next to my woods.

I have tried different calls and had some luck with a bubble tube tapping on the leg sending out chirps.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

nastygunz

I have a few squirrel calls, but I went high tech and downloaded some squirrel sounds on to my cell phone and use those and they are awesome! :yoyo:  I used to get some response to the hand  calls but the electronic calls definitely get things moving.
     One of my favorite kinds of squirrel hunting is hard woods next to a cut cornfield and settle down with a tripod gun rest, .17 HMR with a big scope, and do some field sniping :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

I'm a fan of the bellow calls. You can get pretty creative and even mock them.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

I've never used a call for squirrel always just stalk around looking. I may have to give it a try.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

nastygunz

I have used the Bellows types calls and the squirrel whistle but I have had the best luck with the electronic calls, or maybe it's just my lucky squirrel hunting T-shirt?

trailtwister

For me I swear the looking like I am deer hunting method works best.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com