• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hog No.3

Started by HuntnCarve, July 14, 2016, 11:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

The wife was out on the back deck reading, when as usual, I went out to annoy her.  She proceeded to ignore my comments and ramblings on the state of the natural environment around us.  " The Downy Woodpeckers are fighting with the Catbirds....Wonder if we'll get any rain?....Sure is humid!...Glad I cut the grass the other day....I fixed the old leaf blower yesterday...Saw the fox again this morning...."  -Not even a head nod out of her, though I thought I saw her eyebrow twitch?  She always seems to develop a twitch when I'm around?   :shrug:
Oh well, I figured I would sit down a spell and think up some new things to enlighten her with.
It was during this lull in the activity that I spied a big hog sneaking out in the far corner of the hay field down below.  "There's a big groundhog just come out.  Sit still and don't move while I get the rifle."  "What was that you said dear?"   :doh2:
Darting into the back room I grabbed the rifle and headed back out onto the deck.  The hog had sauntered out into one of my few shooting lanes visible through the tree branches down below.  I quickly placed the crosshairs on it's neck and squeezed off a shot only to have the hog duck down just as I fired.  The slug flew right over it's head kicking up a splash of dirt beyond the bewildered hog.  It sat upright and glanced warily out that direction.  " You missed!" said a voice behind me.  Oh sure, now I have your attention!  Getting back to the matter at hand, I hurriedly reloaded and and focused the crosshairs on the hogs ear.  PLOP!  Down it went.  DRT!
"You need to go dispose of that thing from the farmers field" my beloved said over top of her book, suddenly now fully aware of my presence.  "I think I'll just leave it right there for the fox" I retorted.  "Wanna bet it's gone by morning?"   No comment? 
Ah well, this makes No.3 for a slow year.  Oh, and the hog was gone by this morning. :yoyo:
Happy hunting!

HuntnCarve
Dave

HaMeR

I would say you've tripled our team total for the year already but 3x0=0 sooooo,,,,,  :rolleye: :rolleye:

Good shootin & glad you got to bust a couple Dave!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

As usual the story was wonderful.   :yoyo:

50% ain't bad.
I say what I think not think what I say.

HuntnCarve

Thanks for the support guys!  Meantime, I got knocked off my high horse today.  Yep, I missed a 30 yard shot at another hog.  :sad: I spotted a roundish object down near HH 1 this afternoon.  The binos confirmed a meandering hog checking out the area.  I grabbed the rifle and in an attempt not to spook the hog, tried an offhand shot.  Instead of the confirming "Whack!"  I watched said hog gallop off into the thick vegetation.  I hiked on down the hill to look for signs of a possible hit?  Nope!  Nothing...
Oh well, I believe it will be back sometime in the future.  I'll make sure to use a rest when I take the shot. :laf:
I did see a hog the other day at the other end of the property.  Been keeping an eye open for him.  But unfortunately, he had his eye on me and bolted the last time I saw him.  All in due time. :wink:

HuntnCarve
Dave

Hawks Feather

All hogs come to the Dave that waits!  Now go give your wife a hug and make her wonder what you have been up to.

Good story.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Jerry your bad! lmao

Slim pickings this year Dave, You think they are catching on?
Feeding the fox :congrats: I love it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

:laf: :laf: @ the galloping groundhog!!!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 14, 2016, 09:26:14 PM
Jerry your bad! lmao

Slim pickings this year Dave, You think they are catching on?
Feeding the fox :congrats: I love it.

Hogs have become an endangered species in HuntnCarve's area!