• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.270 thunder!

Started by nastygunz, November 17, 2019, 07:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on November 19, 2019, 04:01:54 AM
One of the biggest bucks I ever shot was after I spent the whole day hiking all over the mountain in Vermont behind the camp never even saw a deer started pouring and thundering out so I started heading back towards the camp and I was about a half a mile away on the edge of a powerline leaned my rifle against the tree was taking a leak  and here comes an old Mossyback buck across the powerline coming straight at me.
   I put the little gun away and picked up the big gun leaned against the tree and waited about two minutes and shot him walking by me about 15 feet away. Sheer luck :yoyo:

Another time I stopped on an old logging road out in the woods I was looking at a big steaming pile of moose crap and about 30 feet away from me a big buck stood up out of a brush pile and looked me right in the eye and I plugged him to.
    I call it luck but it's mostly about putting your time in the woods. And I do mean woods because there's not much open space up there solid forest .  That's why I am a poor shot because I have never had to shoot very far.  :biggrin:

Great stories!  Yep, you gotta be out there and if you are, good things happen sometimes.  Put time in the woods and you see a lot of interesting things.

My buck this Fall I was bulling through noisy thick brush in pouring rain, not trying to be quiet, and the buck stood in the open waiting for me to come out.  Who knows but my guess is that he waited to see what was making the noise coming through the brush.  Stalking skill???  It was blundering luck, but I'll take it.

We've likely all got such stories.  A friend and I on a spring bear hunt stopped on a spur road in the middle of a clear-cut to cook a big midday meal in bright sunshine.  We had the skillet going when a large black bear strolled by on the main road 20 yards away.  We were so disorganized we never got a shot off.

nastygunz

I was sitting on the very top of a hardwood ridge on Pine Mountain miles and miles away from any houses one time and heard something come crunching down the draw in the dry fall leaves and said to myself here we go.

I saw movement and put the scope on it and of all things it was a great big goddamn sheep!  He kept trucking right on down by me, to this day I have no idea how or why that sheep got up there on the mountaintop. You definitely see some strange things in the outback occasionally. 🕵

remrogers

Until I turned 19, I always used my dad's 03-A3 in 30-06. Heavy old military rifle that we finally put a scope on. Decided I needed my own weapon and purchased a third had Remington 728 in .270 with a 4X Weaver on top. Still use that rifle and have taken a pile of meat with it. That was almost 60 years ago and I have no idea how much powder I have burned in it. The .270 is a great round and was a favorite of Jack O'Conner.

JohnP

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 17, 2019, 11:58:14 AM
I bought a new Ruger 77 in .270 on 02/09/1992 with plans to make it out west for Prong Horn or Mule Deer. but that never happened 

And who is at fault for that?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Nice deer nasty.  :yoyo: Do you process it yourself, or take it somewhere?

Quote from: nastygunz on November 19, 2019, 04:01:54 AM
I call it luck but it's mostly about putting your time in the woods.

Seems, the more time you have, the luckier you get.  :biggrin:

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Only flatlanders dont clean their own kill... :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.