• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Squirrel season opens in Kaintuckee

Started by KySongDog, August 14, 2007, 06:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

August 18 officially begins the hunting season for me.  Squirrel season is here!!   I have to go to Kansas this weekend but after that I'll be in the woods (with the heat, ticks, skeeters, and squirrels).   :eyebrow:

Bopeye

Have fun Semp....... :biggrin:

I don't mind the ticks, chiggers, skeeters and such..........it's those great big rattlesnakes that keep me out of the woods until the first frost. Sorry to be a wuss, but I ain't found nuttin in the woods worth me getting bit over...... :pout:

The copperheads can even leave a mark or two...... :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Bring some napkins..
They'll cook up nice in the ungodly heat and make s pretty decent meal out there.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

Semp,

How's the acorn and hickory nut crop looking like up there?

Lots of bushytails here ( at the moment) but their primary fall food supplies are looking pretty thin. Come winter they will be in bad shape. 
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

KySongDog

Chet
The white oak acorn and hickory nut crop was severely impacted by the spring freeze we had in West KY.  I expect we will be seeing the effects on most species (deer, squirrel, turkey for sure) this year and probably next year too.  The drought we are now in is damaging the oaks which were weakened by the freeze.  Not a good thing at all.

I haven't been in the deep woods yet to check on the squirrel population but I am guessing it will go down as we get toward winter.  Hopefully I can find a few early in the season.

Semp

Silencer

I enjoy hunting them tree-rats, our season isnt open till October sometime. 

bushmaster

Quote from: Bopeye on August 14, 2007, 06:21:30 PM
Have fun Semp....... :biggrin:

The copperheads can even leave a mark or two...... :eyebrownod:
I shot me 2 water moccasson and got a copperhead with the car in a month!  I hate and i do mean HATE snakes.  Like granddad always says, "the only good snake's a dead one!" 

Do you fella's ever call up squirrels using distress calls to emulate an alerted squirrel?  That has always been a favorite approach of mine.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Silencer

yep, I get em to pop out and take a look-see with a few raaaaaant's outta my crow/duck call.

FinsnFur

I thought about slippin out this morning and doing some calling and if that went to crap, bagging some squirrels. It's been in the 40's here in the morning.

I wanted Kyle to go with and he took off for the weekend with some friends, so I scrapped the idea and guess I'll play web host this weekend.

How did you do Semp?...did you get out?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Was able to get out once for an hour or so. Got three.  I've been putting a lot of time in to my club and have been traveling a lot.  I know, I know, excuses, excuses,.......  :doh2:

With the temps dropping I am going to make time come hell or high water.   :wink:

FinsnFur

Their talking in the high 80's to mid 90's here again this weekend. Man it's from one extreme to the next.

Kyle asked me last night when we were going to go squirrel hunting...I said when we dont have to do it in our swimming suits and sandals  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

I saw a few while waiting for my venison, but hated to possibly mess up a real shot by getting a squirrel.  Then again, I had a crossbow and probably would not have hit it anyway.   :wo: 

Jerry

FinsnFur

I heard if your a good enough shot and use the right arrow heads, your arrow can sweep the squirrel off the tree limb, launch him to the tree in the background and pin him to the trunk. Is that true?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

trappinjohn

Wow, your seasons start early.  Ours here in PA is mid-October.  Got my son a new Cricket 22 for this year, can't wait to get out there.   We have a SUPER mast crop this year and the squirrels are plentiful.