• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

17 degrees F, still and frosty....

Started by Arkyyoter, December 04, 2006, 01:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

This morning it was still, extremely frosty and 17 degrees here in Ozark, America....Dustin had worked the late shift, not in bed 'till 3:00 am and has to go to court on his day off....go figure...anyway, we couldn't stand it anymore!!

We get up, and we simply have to go make a stand or two....we don't have long, but we gotta give it a shot.

We drive out to a place about 6-8 miles from the house. Is is private property and posted, but we have permission and a key, haven't messed with it much this season,so......

We set up at the juncture of two rights of way....one traverses in an easterly direction, while the other northerly, together they form an "L" shape. Dustin sat at the junction, facing easterly. I went on over a little crest to the north, 30 yards or so, and sat facing northerly. a slight breeze has made it's presence felt, but it is in our favor as to direction. I break out Buck Gardner's little "Raspy Cotton Jack" ( Yes, I said Buck Gardner's   :innocentwhistle:  :wink:  ) and start to make some ailing, sicko bunny music...I continue off and on, changing sounds and varying pitches for about 20 minutes...I am just about to get up, so I give the topography one more once over....I see a coyote crossing the right of way, north of me about 250 yards...it crosses and gets into the edge of the woods on the easternmost side of the right of way, and starts in my direction. I am calling gingerly with my left hand, rifle up and looking through the scope as I call....I can see she is looking intently for whatever is making that racket....she keeps coming 20-30 feet and stopping...holding her head up high and looking about.....at about 175 yards, I drop the RCJ and  pick up Buck's Super Loud Coaxer, the TUC...still holding the call in my left hand I begin to coax her softly...she responds and comes as if she is one a string....she checks again at about 125 yards....she is facing me dead on....I squeeze the trigger and the little 55 grain Vmax from my AR finds it's mark....she goes down as if struck by the hammer of Thor....not even a kick. I immediately change calls and go into a KIYI....after about 30 to 40 seconds of KIYI I hear Dustin bark..."WOOF"....I look behind me to see if something is coming my way....I can see Dustin is up on his little Remmy Model 7...looking to the east....he barks again, and this time fires simultaneously with the bark.....I again go into KIYIs as I don't know what he is seeing....after a few seconds...I can't stand it anymore ( still a kid about calling yotes)...I whistle at him....he looks my way...I give the thumbs up and shrug my shoulders as if to say....WELL?????? He nods and gives me a thumbs up with a big smile.....We have two down....within a minute....from different directions....Dustin's was a large male, taken at 297 yards..... mine an average little female.

Us and the dogs...

Looking down Dustin's lane of fire...if you look closely you can see him down there...yote is past the second yellow post, in the dark stuff on the ground to the right of the open line of fire...just to his left.

Looking down my right of way....yote came from left to right near the end....

The second stand was dry.....

Thanks for reading our story!!!

Joe

Bob D

WhiteHare

20 - 25 minutes -- Two Yotes -- I have just one thing to say....NICE WORK

Richard
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

Hawks Feather

Joe,

Way to go.  It read like you had a pretty good day.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Nice job :yoyo: Thanks for taking us along  :wink:

hey, am I reading between the lines right by assuming your calls are now Buck Gardner specials?  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Arkyyoter

Jim.....first, thanks for that cool pic ya made me!!! I love it and wish I had that talent..... :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:

Yes...in a manner of speaking...... I am now designing/developing predator calls for Buck  :biggrin: ... be watching for some really neat new stuff.....SOON!!  :innocentwhistle: The TUC......the Raspy Cotton/Jack and another to be released this month,  hopefully  :wink:

Joe

FinsnFur

You slyyyyyy dawwwwg, burrying that info in a "frosty day" post  :innocentwhistle:  :laf:

Good job...I hope all goes well.

I spose I gotta change the wording on that picture now  :rolleye:  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Arkyyoter

Nope!!! That Kat Kaller is an Arky call....you leave that wording alone  :eyebrow:  :nofgr:  :whew:  :biggrin:

Joe