• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Question

Started by slagmaker, December 21, 2006, 10:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

OK, With all this rain we have been having I thought of something interesting.

Just exectally what do YOU do when you have gotten your firearm cought in a soggy mess. Be it fell in the lake or just cought in the rain. What steps do you take to insure it stays in top shape?

Me Wood stock non-stainless...... Wipe down as quiclkey as posssibel, DO NOT put back in sheath/case til it is dry. Once home Take case and open it up let fan blow across it till it is througly dry. firearm gets wood taken off and throughly dried, mechanism gets doused in aclohol and soked for a few minutes. Alcohol will displace any moisture that may be in there. After alcohol spray with your favorite lubricating oil. Reassemble and clean and oil as usual.

May be drastic steps or not enough what you think.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

My Ruger is stainless, but I just douse it good with WD-40 which also displaces water. Then stand it muzzle down in the corner to prevent any sweat, WD40, or moisture, from settling into the action.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I was shooting a varmint target match a few years back when it started to rain – really hard.  It was blowing rain in under the cover, but since we were all having fun, we continued.  I was shooting my Ruger with the laminated stock, so why was it of any concern to me?  When I got home I noticed some whiskers on the stock, so I pulled it out of the stock.  They had not finished the channel at all and it was a mess.  I ended up refinishing the stock.  So, after that, I made sure that all of my stocks were well sealed.  I also now take "all weather" firearms when it looks like rain.  When the inevitable happens, I make sure to wipe down as much of the metal as possible, without taking the barreled action out of the stock, and then check it a couple of days later.  I have a golden rod in the safe, so that also helps.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Yea, that reminds me...the Boy'ds thumbhole I put on my all weather Ruger was unfinished inside the barrel channel and action slot also.
Gotta watch that.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com