• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Google Chrome

Started by CCP, November 03, 2010, 06:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

Anyone using it??

I installed it a couple of days ago to try. I have been using firefox for a looong time and really like firefox. With the Chrome I have seen it to be even faster than Firefox and firefox beats Internet exploder by far.

Getting use to the new layout is a little of a struggle but not to bad of a learning curve so far. I really like being able to pick my search engine when installing and then just type in the browser box anything and it searches from there.

Any bugs or security holes I need to know about??
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

I dont think it's any faster, at least I never had any changes. Mine always did bang through pretty quick so it might just be tough for me to notice a difference.

Google Chrome is capable of more, but I think those new abilities are aimed towards developers, which leaves Joe Shmo wondering what all the hype is about cause it's not available on his browser....which is the majority right now.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

I installed it a few days ago when I was upgrading CCleaner ( a great program by the way).   So I haven't fooled with it much yet.   

My paranoia makes me distrust Google for some reason.  Chrome might be just one more way Google gets marketing info on us.   

Sometimes I run an anonymous proxy so I may use it before surfing the net on Chrome. 

FinsnFur

Quote from: Semp on November 03, 2010, 08:44:35 PM
My paranoia makes me distrust Google for some reason.  Chrome might be just one more way Google gets marketing info on us.   

Boy you couldnt have hit that any more square on the head.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Yotehntr

Sometimes I run an anonymous proxy so I may use it before surfing the net on Chrome. 

:confused:  What's that for?
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

It's kinda like switching the license plates on your car before you go rob a gas station.
Using an anonymous proxy hides your original IP address and displays another.

Why?   :shrug: privacy, security, etc.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

5 SHOTS

So, how does one go about this?   :confused: :shrug: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I have an idea.  :innocentwhistle:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

FinsnFur

• Google the words "anonymous proxy"
  • Take your pick from the results
  • type in the address you want to visit
  • ...your done, it takes you to the site with a different IP address

Going over to PM with a different IP......you'll be the first one to ever do that. :laf:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

5 SHOTS

:alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:

(Was it that obvious)?
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

CCP

Quotewhen I was upgrading CCleaner ( a great program by the way).
Semp CCleaner is a great program for sure and there Defraggler program is one of the best defragging programs I have run across.

Chrome seems OK but will need to keep playing with it. As for it being faster I am talking internet explorer opening a page on my network at around 6 seconds Firefox at around 4 seconds and so far Chrome is around 1 to 2 seconds.

Firefox has better add on's and a lot more of them.

No matter what Browser you use you aint hidden from the Google police..  :biggrin:

Quote(Was it that obvious)?

OH yes!!!
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

THO Game Calls

I hope you are all aware that Google is completely anti gun. 

Google Adsense polices state that

“AdSense publishers are not permitted to place Google ads on sites with content related to certain weapons and weapon accessories, such as firearms, balisongs, butterfly knives, and brass knuckles.”

Sites displaying Google ads may not include:
• Sales or promotion of weapons or ammunition (e.g., firearms, fighting knives, stun guns)

“Google believe strongly in freedom of expression and therefore offer broad access to content across the web without censoring results. At the same time, we reserve the right to exercise editorial discretion when it comes to the sites on which we choose to display them in our AdSense program.” 

Just so you know............

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

KySongDog

I am not sure I see your point .........

Google search does not restrict firearms from results.    I typed in "firearms" and got 17,000,000 hits in .24 seconds.   :shrug:

I have not heard of Adsense and don't really know what it is.   If it is pop up ads, I use a pop up blocker and never read them. 

I knew that Google, Ebay, and Paypal are anti-gun.   But I still use Ebay and Paypal when it suits my purpose as I have not found a good replacement for them. 

FinsnFur

Quote from: Semp on November 08, 2010, 10:22:45 AM
I have not heard of Adsense and don't really know what it is.   If it is pop up ads, I use a pop up blocker and never read them. 

:laf: :laf:

No actually Adsense is a way for webmasters to generate revenue from their sites. You set the code on your site, and Google displays small ads that are relevant to your content, in hopes to get a few clicks from your targeted visitors.
You get paid for every click, and a check sent out at every $100 dollar mark.

Get caught clicking your own ads, and your banned from the system.

On the flip side of the whole thing people are paying Google to display their small advertisements around the web to help promote their sites. This is where the little ads come from and that part of it is called Adwords.

It's actually a really keen little thing.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

THO Game Calls

While Google search doesn't restrict searches on firearms and related content  (though they do restrict a great deal of other content), when it comes to how Google actually generates it's income, through advertising, they restrict Firearms Content not based on law or prior culpability in a suit, but on what they claim as Editorial Control, which we can interpret as an anti gun bias.  While they will allow you to search for firearms related sites, they do not want their business to be associated with any site that sells firearms, again, based solely on their editorial control.  Ergo, they are Anti Gun.

It was informational in nature.  What you use is your business, but you might want to be aware that Google is anti gun.  That was all.  I too use their search engine almost daily.  I do not use any of their other products nor do I click on google ads because of their anti gun policies.  

As for E bay and PayPal, that is an urban legend that persists in the fire arms community.  PayPal is no more anti gun than Remington, Savage, Browning, Winchester, Colt, Charles Daily, Marlin, Mossburg, or Cabelas, all of who will not sell a fire arm over the internet.  

On the other hand, I can use my PayPal debit card, drafting out of my PayPal account, to buy both firearms and ammunition any time I want in face to face sales at the local gun shop.    

If you go back and search,(yes on google)  you will find references to why E bay changed their gun policy.   It will take a lot of digging since the court case was sealed, and the civil case was settled out of court with a non disclosure clause.   Basically, a seller on E bay sold a firearm, and sent it directly to the individual who turned out to be a minor.   Since E bay processed the transaction, they were held partly liable, were fined, and settled a civil suit.     PayPal was purchased by E bay and the policy followed to PayPal transactions.   There is a distinct difference between being Anti Gun and being prudent in your business dealings so as to not be sued or fined by the federal government.  

Really though, all you have to do is ask yourself, if PayPal were really anti gun, would  you find Sarah Palin, John McCain, Mitt Romney, and a host of other notable conservative republicans as well as the TEA Party Patriots (the national arm of the TEA Party) use or have used PayPal to collect donations?  

Once again, it's just information you might be interested in.

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

KySongDog

Yes, that was informative.  Thanks.

I use GunBroker.com now for gun related transactions.   I haven't traded a lot on it but the ones I have done have worked out satisfactorily.