• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Lord, didn’t it rain! And snow…

Started by Okanagan, November 19, 2021, 11:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

By my calculation it rained 20 inches (maybe over 30) in our elk area during our 11 days of elk season.  That’s down at the nearest town, and it rains more up where we hunt.  Nobody keeps records up there.

We had floods all through this NW corner of the US and nearby Canada.  Forks, WA, a town of 4,000, was totally cut off for a few days, no roads in or out.  We normally go through there to hunt elk.  Merritt, B.C. where several of my friends live is totally evacuated.   

Son and I went elk hunting the last two days of season.  No elk.  Son wanted to tag a one horned bull he’d seen the day before season opened, but could not find him.

Normally we drive around the north end of the Olympic Peninsula but the only two roads that way were both closed.  The whole middle of the Peninsula is mountains and wilderness with no roads, with salt water on three sides.   People drive around the edge of it.  The land side is south, and we drove around that way, an extra couple of hours.  Many trees down and we had to cut a few when we got to back roads.

We hunted in rain and snow and then torrential tree rain from melting snow in the huge tall trees.   No elk.  During the hours of tree rain it was raining hard anywhere in the forest.  The only way to escape the rain was in a clearing out from under the trees, but I could not find such a clearing with elk in it though I tried. The last morning the sun came out in frost, but no elk.