• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Venison summer sausage

Started by msmith, March 15, 2021, 07:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msmith

OK, nothing special but I thawed some deer burger and picked up a pork loin and ground it up. 12# of deer and 3# of pork. I just used a cabela's mix and casings.

One hour @ 135*
one hour @145* with smoke
45 minutes @ 165* with smoke
finished at 190* until they had an internal temp of 156*

My daughter just about polished one stick off when she came home for spring break.

I have a couple of other sausage mixes I gotta try. One is hot and the other has jalapenos in it.

Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

pitw

I'm thinking your daughter has good taste. :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.

msmith

She won't eat beef but can be hard on the deer lol
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Hawks Feather

I would say your daughter has GREAT taste!  Looks delicious. 

FinsnFur

I love venison sausage and venison burger. Pretty tough to beat  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

msmith

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 24, 2021, 07:52:56 PM
I love venison sausage and venison burger. Pretty tough to beat  :eyebrow:

That it is. I'm out until this fall though.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

I have one pack of venison steak and one pack of burger left,  I think I'm going to finish it off in a big stew.

FinsnFur

What time do we need to be there Nasty and should we bring a dish to pass?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

One should always bring a dish to a stew fest  :wink:

Okanagan

msmith's summer sausage looks terriffic and I'll bet it tastes fabulous as well.  Good on you for making it yourself!

These days our extended family all go to a local meat cutting shop that makes sausage.  We cut up our own meat but it is easier and not a bad price to have them make our sausage.  We share at times when it comes to summer sausage and the like, to get the right size batch. They mix our meat with that from other people if it is less than 40 (?) lbs. so we do our hamburger and sausage grinds in even 40 lb. batches.  We know how our game was handled, and that it is clean.  Last Fall several of us saved frozen burger meat till the end of the season and took in a  big order.  When it was done we divvied it up and paid for the percentage each of us wanted.  Yep, with grown grandkids we we processed a lot of game meat last Fall.

We did a majority of summer sausage, but some bratwurst that is excellent, some landjager, pepperoni, jerky and I have a custom 25 lb. batch of Thüringer sausage still not finished.  My wife loves Thuringer.  Her Dad liked it so it has memories plus she likes the taste and it is hard to find in stores. Hope she does not read this because it is a surprise.

I've been lazy and had the same shop grind our hamburger even though I have a grinder and like the way our home grind turns out.  Grandson Code got a good sized batch of breakfast sausage that we cook in patties and what I poached out of his stash was delish.

Mother Nature's only mistake was to produce Morel mushrooms in spring and venison tenderloin in the Fall...

msmith

Quote from: Okanagan on March 25, 2021, 11:15:58 AM

Mother Nature's only mistake was to produce Morel mushrooms in spring and venison tenderloin in the Fall...

I second that. I’m hoping to have some leftover in the freezer next spring waiting for morel season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori