• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New "Yote gun"

Started by Yotehntr, March 28, 2010, 02:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

:biggrin:  Got me a new toy... bought it from someone I think a lot of too so this will be a life long keeper.  Measured the chamber as soon as I got it and worked up a few loads. I think this one will do for the coyotes.  The gun is a Cooper Varmint Extreme, in 17 Rem.  I put a Leopold VX3 4.5-14 on it... the target was shot at 100yds according to my range finder...figure that's more accurate than stepping it off.  I didn't chrono the velocity...I just did a proportional calculation...it usually get's me with in 50 fps.... I was to anxious to shoot it to drag out the chrony today.  :wink:  That and I was using my tripod for the new spotting scope I won as a door prize at the LBL... Thanks again Semp!!!
Pic ... a little over cast so you can't see the grain well

2nd load... hit it pretty quick huh!

Some pics.. (I didn't take these but they're better pics than I seem to be able to do)

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Palegroe

Beautiful  wood and a tight group.  Good shooting Yotehntr and congratulations on the Rifle.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

Todd Rahm

Man, that thing is beautiful. Ole Ladobe had a few of those perty look'n coopers laying around too.

Well, if ya ever have to fund a new lathe, and feel ya have to part with that rifle...............................look me up.  :biggrin:

Edited for spelling issues.  :innocentwhistle:

Silencer

she's a looker and a shooter, congrats  :yoyo:

HaMeR

It's tough to beat the looks of a Cooper for sure!! Especially that one!! Nice grab Brad!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bopeye

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

Wow! That is a tack driver for sure.    :yoyo:

I'm glad that spotting scope came in handy for you.   :wink:

JohnP

That truly is a nice looking rifle and shoots good too!  You'll have to go a far piece to find a better fur caliber, when I was collecting fur that was my go to round. 

Now, having said all that.  You do know that Cooper was a obama supporter, or do ya? :wink:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Yotehntr

Thanks guys! Funny it's pretty much a "sporter" sized barrel but with that tiny hole I guess it acts like a bull barrel.  Dang John, that sucks some of the fun out of this.  I did a search on the web and Dan Cooper is no longer a part of "Cooper of Montana", actually was ousted on account of that very thing.

HuntnCarve

Brad, sure looks like you got yourself a sweetheart there!  Makes it tough to look at my plain jane Rem.700 .17 Rem... :laf:
Hope it serves you well.

Dave

Hawks Feather

That is one beautiful (and accurate) rifle that anyone would be proud to own.   Now a comment that I heard once at a benchrest match.  'Well, it is a good group, but they missed the center of the target.'   I guess that happened to you as well.   :wink:

Jerry

pitw

That there gun is pretty enough to stop a blind man in his tracks  :laf:.  The last picture makes it look 200 years older too :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Yotehntr

Plain Jane huh Dave! lol  Never have thought of the BDL's that way, they'll always be one of the top contenders in my book.  :yoyo:

LOL I'll give her a few clicks to the left Jerry!...now that you mention it that happened here just recently!  :laf: I thought it had the look of an older gun too Barry.  This one was made in the mid '90's.  I'll have to do a little more work on the loads though... there are some pressure signs, the primers are flattened a bit... I'll hold my OAL and back off on the powder in .2 increments... hopefully find another "sweet spot".  :wink:

HuntnCarve

My .17 Rem seems to like Benchmark powder with the Berger 25g Moly (and non moly coated) HP's along with CCI BR4 primers.  And with the 20g V-Max,  Varget seems to be the ticket.
I've shot a dozen or so woodchucks with mine.  It's pretty impressive.  I sort of put it in the back of the safe once I got a .19-223 Calhoon.  I get 4000+fps with a 32g HP Calhoon bullet.  Very impressive on the hogs!  LOL!

FozzyBear

Good looking pice of artly :yoyo: :thumb2:

vvarmitr

Ya gonna put some rookie signature rings on that gorgeous hunk of lumber?  :shrug:
:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:

I was gonna pick on ya yesterday, but I wanted to find some pix to show ya. I just got back from looking again. No can find! :mad2:

Anyways it was a piece of 8" well casing that someone set up at the range.  It was dented all over from people smacking it w/ their bullets.  I had some 29gr Gold bullets from Todd Kindler, of the Woodchuck Den, to try.  I shot a sweet little group w/ 2 touching ........ right through the one side! :eyebrow: 
That 17Rem is an excellent round in my book! :wink:

Yotehntr

I've never shot one of the Calhon's Dave, I'm wondering how the 17 will do on the yotes... careful shot placement I'm sure.  :wink:

:laf:  Actually I'm going to have to drill some holes in it James! It doesn't have any sling swivels. I don't care for carrying it in my hands the whole time so I'll be doing some very careful measurements pretty soon.

WldWldWest

That's a pretty stick of wood on that Obama rifle! Look's like it's got potential in throwing a group too! One Saturday when I'm not doing anything I'll shoot it for ya and we'll see what it'll really do!

Teasing ya Yotespnkr! Beautiful rifle man and I cant wait to shoot it........Even though it aint Black :yoyo:......Like a real Predator rifle!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

vvarmitr

Quote from: WldWldWest on March 30, 2010, 10:10:08 PM
.Even though it aint Black :yoyo:......Like a real Predator rifle!
:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:

Quote from: Yotehntr on March 30, 2010, 07:02:13 PM
I'm wondering how the 17 will do on the yotes... careful shot placement I'm sure.  :wink:
I don't care iffen you're shooting a 45-70, shot placement is still important.  :readthis:
You'll be amazed at that little speedster.  The hydrodynamic/hydrostatic shock it creates is phenomenal!  :eyebrow:
I've shot g'hogs that when you picked 'em up they sounded like slush inside.  :puke:

May I suggest trying some of the 30gr HPs.  Woodchuck Den has a 30gr Gold that was copied by Berger.

Yotehntr

:laf:  I hear ya Doug! 

I did quite a bit of surfing before deciding what bullet to use.  Most that coyote hunt with this caliber use the Berger 25 gr match bullets.  I'll have to look around at the Woodchuck den, never been there.