• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bedding question

Started by Yotehntr, October 12, 2010, 04:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Brad, that means, "yes, I was referring to the other post. Thanks for clearing that up for me Jim".
Sometimes ya just gotta read between the lines :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

:confused:  Hey Jim....  I think you're getting Semp and Vvarmiter, mixed up there..?  I was kind of picking at Semp there at the beginning on the Remy/Remington stuff..
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

Ohhhhhhh. I think he either missed that or didnt see it.  :laf:

Ok, I'll shut up and move on. :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 14, 2010, 07:29:18 PM
Ohhhhhhh. I think he either missed that or didnt see it.  :laf:

Ok, I'll shut up and move on. :biggrin:

Zoom!  Went right over my head.   :eyebrownod:

Yotehntr

I must've been "in the zone"   :laf: 

Okanagan

Thought of another factor in bedding a rifle:  how tight to turn the screws down while the bedding compound hardens.   I usually practice tightening the action into the stock a time or two before mixing the bedding compound.  It is good to even count the screw turns and draw a picture of where the screwdriver slots are turned when each screw is as tight as you want.  

Then when I tighten it with the soft bedding compound in place, I plan to stop tightening about a half to quarter of a turn before it is fully as tight as it will go.  Others may differ with my thinking.  I want a tiny bit more range of tightening ability after the bedding compound hardens, so I can really screw the action tight before bottoming out against the old stock surface.  Tighten screws alternately a bit at a time rather than cinch one end down all the way and then tighten the other end all the way.  I.e.  go back and forth between front lug screw and rear tang, etc. and pull the action into the stock and bedding evenly.  

Do not tighten screws and then turn them back:  not even a tiny bit.  If you have tightened more than you intended, leave it. Reversing the screws pulls a gap between action and bedding and makes bubbles, and if the sticky bedding compound adheres a little to the metal, it pulls it into weird skeletal strings, etc.  Tighten and leave it to harden in tight contact.

Yotehntr

All of that makes a lot of sense, Thanks!   :yoyo:

WldWldWest

I have all my Remy's Skim bedded with Marine Tex its not hard to do but there are a couple of tricks that are nice to know ahead of time.
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Yotehntr

Quote from: WldWldWest on October 15, 2010, 09:36:55 AMits not hard to do but there are a couple of tricks that are nice to know ahead of time.

:confused:  ....... :shrug:  Annnnd....you're just going to leave it at that huh?   :mad2:

WldWldWest

No.....I knew the rest was coming.

!

Yotehntr

:nofgr:  You ain't going to get stroked or anything for the info... so spill it beotch.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Yotehntr

:confused:  Well guess his feelings got hurt.  :shrug:

WldWldWest

Sorry Poodlespnkr, man I've been busy! Give me a call and I may hook a brotha up.......Maybe!

Oh yea-You aint big enough to hurt my feelings :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

!

Yotehntr

:laf:  I knew you'd been busy...just having some fun.  I'll give you a shout tomorrow....maybe.     :biggrin:

Yotehntr

Well I got the Adl to Bdl conversion kit from Brownells today... just put it together.. I haven't done the bedding yet mind you.  I'll be happy if I just maintain the accuracy I've had with this gun. It's always been a shooter.  :wink: ... sorry, I'm just not as concerned about camo as I used to be... I figure if'n I'm doing my job right the only thing they'll see is about a dime sized part of the gun anyway.  :wink:
Before pic:

After:

KySongDog

Sure looks good to me!   :congrats:

vvarmitr

Man I can see why you wanted a change. That "before" is fugly!  :puke:

Yotehntr

Well I finally got to carry it out to see how it'd shoot...  it's a windy day (10mph with 17mph gusts) so the outcome wasn't as good as I would've liked but stayed within MOC.  :wink:  I moved it to the right one click and headed home.

vvarmitr

Quote from: Yotehntr on October 25, 2010, 12:11:17 PM
... the outcome wasn't as good as I would've liked .....
:shock2: What you want - eggs in your beer?  :holdon:
I'm thinking that's 3/4" or a little less w/ no stringing.