• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Got in a little salmon fishing

Started by Okanagan, September 16, 2011, 10:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Work sure gets in the way of a man's fishing!  I missed most of our sockeye run but got in a little action after pink salmon the past few days. 

The most fun was one day with four grandsons, who each caught fish though it was slow by my (spoiled) standards.  The 8 year old caught the biggest one, and he was so excited by the time he held it up for a hero pic that he was shivering all over like he was cold!  We all went to Disneyland a year ago and nothing there gave these boys such a high.  I don't know whether it was more fun to watch them fight a fish, watch them grin when they held it up, or listen to them tell their Mom about it when we got home.

I sat up two nights awhile back and tied up dozens of leaders with hooks and we went through them faster than I could tie them on.  We finally cut it down to two rods fishing so I could keep up.  Man those kids can hang up and lose tackle!  And worth every bit of the fun.

I fly fished a couple of evenings for salmon, releasing pinks and hooked a nice Chinook for a considerable fight before he came off.  He had peeled out all of my fly line well into the backing and then held in the current and sulked like kings will do.  I was too busy to take pics with grandkids though the 14 year old took some that he has not sent to me.  Here's a couple from a solo evening.

One smallish pink salmon I kept to eat.  Likely four pounds., maybe five.

The kayak gets me away from crowds, like to the island in this photo.  A local pilot often lands his plane on the gravel bar beyond the kayak and wades out to fish a good spot.   

Hawks Feather

It sure sounds like you had fun with the grandkids.  With four of them fishing at the same time I can see where you were busy and having a ball.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Solo Fishing? Thats my kind of fishing. Off away from the rest where you can take in some peace and quite.

Sounds like the Grandkids had a good time, and that usually means Grampa did too. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Scott

Okanagan

I'm getting a few of the pics my 14 year old grandson took of the fishing.  Below is a pic of his 12 year old brother into a strong fish.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com