• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Craziest Deer Hunting Story

Started by FinsnFur, November 27, 2012, 08:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Lets hear the craziest thing you've ever seen, or experienced, while deer hunting. No holds barred.

I'll start, since mine is the stupidest and probably shortest.
I dont even remember how long ago it was...I'm going to say 2002 to 2005. Last day of the Wisconsin 9 day gun season. Just me and a buddy driving a piece of set aside land blanketed with tall wheat like vegetation.
A doe pops up about 50 yards in front of us and bolts in the opposite direction. More luck then anything, I assessed the backdrop, raised my rifle, put the cross hairs on the back of her neck followed her and squeezed.
She dropped, kicked her legs for about 15 seconds and became still.
Now your expecting me to say she got up and bolted before we got to her, but  :nono: she didnt.
When we got there we looked her over wondering where she got hit, gutted her and drug her home to skin...........NEVER did find an entry wound or an exit that I recall.
In fact I can remember my buddy saying he wondered if it went up her arse and exploded inside.
How is this possible?
Only god knows! :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Here's mine:

Quote from: coyote101 on November 09, 2008, 09:23:56 PM
I went out last month for the earlly muzzleloader season and shot a pretty nice doe for the freezer. I lost sight of her in the smoke cloud and didn't have much of a blood trail to follow. It took nearly an hour to finally pick up the trail and locate her. I found her at the bottom of a ten foot deep sink hole. All four legs were down in the drain hole at the bottom. Getting her out of there was not much fun.This is my doe at the bottom of the sink hole.

If the hole had been just a little bigger, she would have dissappeared underground!

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Good story!

I have a few.  A friend and I were hunting with mule deer doe permits in the Canadian Rockies in the snow.  By mid morning in the sun the snow was melting and it was hot in long underwear.  I killed a doe below a skid road we could drive to and by the time we got her dissected and loaded, my friend was so hot he went into the pickup camper to take off his longies.  I was messing around outside, unaware that he was changing clothes, when another doe walked by.  I called softly for him to come out and shoot it, hoping not to spook the doe.  It stared at me.  No response.  I called again, louder.

He was peeled to nothing when I first called.  He pulled on heavy German army surplus wool pants, stuck his bare feet in his boots and came out holding his rifle in one hand and his pants up with the other.   The doe edged away downhill, so he jumped up on a big fir log to see down over the slope.  He let go of his pants which started to slip down as the rifle came up.  Just as he fired his feet slipped on the wet wood and he fell in the snow.  I was looking at the deer, didn't see his slip and could not imagine how he missed her at 40 yards broadside.

It looked hopless to me but he hitched up his pants and took off on a run around the contour road as the doe ran a contour around the timbered slope below.  He ran to a vantage point and nailed the doe at 150 yards as she flashed through the trees at a run, an amazing shot.  He is a phenomenal shot...  when his pants stay up. :biggrin:

Okanagan

Pat, that sinkhole is amazing!  I haven't seen anything like that, and to have your deer fall in it is double strange.

weedwalker

Several years ago I was hunting in Indiana during the shotgun season. There was a fresh 4" of snow that fell the night before. I climbed a tree at daylight with my trusty Baker climber stand and got as comfortable as possible. About 9AM I see this guy in orange walking thru the woods straight to me. :argh: He walks over to my tree and in a very loud voice ask me if I knew where so & so store was. I said no, never heard of it. He said his pick-up was parked there and that he was turned around (lost) in the woods. I told him if he turned around and followed his own tracks in the fresh snow they would lead him back to his truck. :eyebrownod: He just looked at me like I was stupid, then took off walking thru the woods. Don't know if he ever found his truck. :nono:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

Sink holes scare me...I think I woulda took pics and walked away :sad3:
Okanagan...that woulda been some good footage.  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Several years ago I was muzzleloader hunting in a large thicket.  Five does came in so I picked out the plumpest one and fired.  Down she went.  The rest of the does just stood there.  So.....ball, powder, cap and fired again. Down went the next plumpest doe.  The rest of the does just stood there looking at each other like WTF just happened.   So.....ball, powder, cap and fired a third time.  Down went the third plumpest doe.  It was like the buffalo stands I saw on TV where the buffalo drop at the shot and the rest of the herd just stands there.  But before I could get loaded up for the fourth, the remaining two figured something was up and left the area in a hurry. 

I climbed down out of my stand and field dressed the three does.  That turned out to be a very long day and way too much work.  One I won't do again. 

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 28, 2012, 05:16:05 AM
Semp you was on a game farm :laf:

I ain't, I say, I ain't got that kind of money!    :laf:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hidehunter

Jimbo, you could have done like my little sister on her first deer.  60 yards broadside the 30-30 cracks and doe hits the ground.  Me and her go up to it and I dont see a hole but figure we will look later.  I reach her one leg and tell her to hold it.  I slice her open to remove the guts.  I reach up to grab her heart and lungs and when my hand gets up there I feel theheart beating rapidly.  About the time I got ahold of it the deer kicks its legs which knocks my sister over and just about rolled me but I didnt let loose of the heart.  At the same time the doe was trying to roll over and get her footing I rip the heart out of her and she kicks a few more times and its over.  We couldnt find a hole anywhere until I had her hanging in the garage and accidently stumbled onto a spot on the side of her head.  My sister had just knicked her and I believe had just knocked her out for a sec.  It was an experience I'l tell ya.  I asked sis where she was aiming and she said behind the shoulder  :confused: I guess the first deer fever had ahold of her cause she was doin great at the range.  I did learn to make sure they are dead before I start messing with them.
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

That would be friggin nuts Denver :holdon: Especially grabbing the still beating heart...day ummmmmm!

We wondered if she got knocked out, and there was talk of the shock of the shell going by her head, but I cut that theory by yelling for some dignity :alscalls:
But we never did skin the head to look for anything. Nothing on the outside that flagged us anyway.

Now tell us, what was it like to clutch that beating heart. Actually...never mind...dont tell us. :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Dave

Wow, there are some great stories here, a little bit of everything.  Everything. 
  I'm still thinking on mine. 

iahntr

I'm sure I can think of a few to add too.  One that comes to mind involves my ex brother in law, a shot deer that was running up to the road and he jumps out and shoots it, which later I find was on ground that he didn't have permission on, and the deer got loaded into the back of his '73 Blazer hastily, and I was driving back into town and as soon as we hit the edge of town I notice something, and look in the rear view mirror, to see the buck sitting up and looking back at me. About the time I have a "holy crap" look on my face  :shock2:, the deer goes berserk and starts thrashing about wildly, we're talking hooves and antlers through the back seat, pieces flying, my BIL trying to throw the spare tire on top of him and pin him down. Finally the buck sticks his antler threw the side of the blazer and pins himself down.  I'm not sure on a statute of limitations regarding the law and me incriminating myself  :innocentwhistle:, so we'll just end it at that.     Anybody remember the movie Tommy Boy where they hit the deer and it destroys there convertible ?   yeah, kinda like that  :doh2: :eyebrownod:
Scott

Hawks Feather

I do remember Tommy Boy and I am enjoying these stories.

Jerry

FinsnFur

That coulda got extra ugly, Scott :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Here's anothern I think I posted before somewhere.

When Code's Dad was about 11 and came along on a backpack hunt, I shot a heavy bodied mature 4x5 mule deer buck as it bounded away in sparse alpine cover.  It dropped as if dead.  I prodded the animal a couple of times when we walked up and it did not move.  I laid my rifle on a weathered bit of wood well away from the buck and took out my pocket knife.  When I grabbed the base of one antler and touched the blade to skin on the buck's neck, he jumped to his feet lunging at me.

I dropped the knife and grabbed the other antler, so that I had the bases of both antlers in my hands.  He would lunge and I would stumble backwards, using my arms to absorb his power. Fortunately his antlers were wide enough to pass on each side of my body, with his forehead butting into my belly. If I fell I knew I would be in big trouble. 

Also fortunately, the buck's hind legs were useless since he was hit near pelvis and spine, and he was driving me with just his front legs. I yelled for my son to bring the rifle but not to shoot.  The buck tired after pushing me about 40 feet, and I was able to twist him down like a rodeo steer wrestler and leap away.  I grabbed the rifle and finished him.  He was one of those massive bodied Canadian bucks.  Code's Dad has a wildly embellished version of this story but, Code, don't believe him.  :wink:

nastygunz

We did a deer drive in a cedar swamp one time and a doe ran out the side of the drive and smacked right into my brothers new 2 tone ford pickemup truck and put a big dent in the door, he was maddddddddd :yoyo:...we were all dying laughing...then one time I was way up on top of pine mountain deer hunting on a hardwood ridge, quiet n cold....sat on a log overlooking a clear cut....after awhile I happened to look down and there was a nice fixed blade Buck hunting knife stuck in the log!..with my youngest brothers initials etched onto the blade!

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on November 29, 2012, 06:55:50 PM
Code's Dad has a wildly embellished version of this story but, Code, don't believe him.  :wink:

I'd like to hear that version too :eyebrow:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nasty, you left out the best part and that is how you tormented your brother before giving him the knife back. I know dang well you didnt just walk up to him and ask him if he was missing anything. :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers