• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Decoy Dogs in the East

Started by Jerry Hunsley, August 23, 2006, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Hunsley

For those areas some of you guys hunt in the Eastern States , I'm betting a decoy dog will work for you where you have a lot of timber and they don't want to show thereselves in open areas. I hunt some river bottoms with timber right along side open fields. Sometimes they are reluctant to show theirselves and with the dog they come right out. Something to think about.  :wink:

keekee

I agree Jerry. I have worked some with a little JR I have here and he did ok. They are just to aggressive for decoy dogs.

I been looking at some Cur dogs for the last couple months and even talked some to Cal Taylor on this topic.

I will be picking up a Cur puppy as soon as I can find one that I think will work for me.

My only concern is putting enough coyotes in front of the dog to get it trained right, I may haft to make a trip out west to get the dog allot of coyotes to work with. Then maybe not? It will also be hard to train in the thick woods here because I wont be able to see the dog all the time.

But I do have some open country up north I work the dog in that would be perfect!

Brent

Bob D

I have a boykin spaniel that I've trained to hunt with both dove and quail. He is very smart and loves to go with me anywhere. I was wondering how he may do as a decoy dog for coyotes? I have a collar that I use on him when he needs it and thought i might use it while decoying to make him return to me before he gets tangled up with a coyote. I think the coyote would whip his tail and his Momma ( my wife) would whip mine if he got hurt! What do you think, should I try it or not?
Bob

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: keekee on August 23, 2006, 11:36:42 AM
I agree Jerry. I have worked some with a little JR I have here and he did ok. They are just to aggressive for decoy dogs.

I been looking at some Cur dogs for the last couple months and even talked some to Cal Taylor on this topic.

I will be picking up a Cur puppy as soon as I can find one that I think will work for me.

My only concern is putting enough coyotes in front of the dog to get it trained right, I may haft to make a trip out west to get the dog allot of coyotes to work with. Then maybe not? It will also be hard to train in the thick woods here because I wont be able to see the dog all the time.

But I do have some open country up north I work the dog in that would be perfect!

Brent
  You are right about putting them on enough coyotes and open country. I was thinking after I started the topic , training them in heavy cover wouldn't be the best way. If you talked to Cal, he probably told you a lot about training them. Takes a lot of time in the field and a lot of patience but it is well worth it and real enjoyable. Good luck and keep me posted on how things are going. Jerry

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: Bob Dickson lll on August 23, 2006, 01:12:08 PM
I have a boykin spaniel that I've trained to hunt with both dove and quail. He is very smart and loves to go with me anywhere. I was wondering how he may do as a decoy dog for coyotes? I have a collar that I use on him when he needs it and thought i might use it while decoying to make him return to me before he gets tangled up with a coyote. I think the coyote would whip his tail and his Momma ( my wife) would whip mine if he got hurt! What do you think, should I try it or not?
Bob
  I'd say give it a try. My only concern would be when he saw a coyote he would run right up there thinking it's another dog and let the coyote get ahold of him. I would watch him pretty close but if he will come back to you when you use the shock collar it might work.  I wouldn't let him get out of sight though.  Good Luck

Rick223

Im really interested in decoy dogs I tried it once with a blue healer we managed to get one yote (heres a pic)but do to unfortunate events she was sent down the road.
I would like to start from scratch with a pup but Im wondering whats the better breed for decoyin and whats a good way to train.
What I did with my dog was first train her to stay close and to come back when I called her then I would take her out keep her on a long leash like 100 feet so that way I could control her if needed my thinkin was once she realized what was out there then I could let her go It worked once but then I had to get rid of her.
Rick :yoyo:
Sorry Jerry I clicked yor post by accident to edit mine but I didnt change yours.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Bopeye

I'm gonna give it a go myself.....

Here's what I'm gonna try with...  http://hawkshawcurs.tripod.com/

Just hope I don't get one killed. Kids would kill me and wife........well let's just say I'd be camping for a long time. :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

canine

A couple years ago i went with a friend behind his house. Well, his dog followed us out in the field ,  it was a red healer.

I started callin, the dog just ran around within 20 yards of us the whole time, about the 15 minute mark i see a coyote exiting the cover of the woods. It came up the waterway we were setup in and when it saw the dog, it froze. Layed down and watched the dogs every move. The dog never did see the coyote which was about 80 yards away from us. After about 2 or 3 minutes the coyote stood up and that's when i shot it. Scared the crap out of the healer when the gun went off too .LOL..

That has been the 1 and only dog on stand experience i've had, other than with Rich Higgins out in AZ. would definately like to get a dog to work with but right now just can't find the time to work with it..

Soooo, hurry up Brent and get that Cur dog!! :roflmao:

JD

keekee

I am looking dude! Just cant find one that fits me good yet, not many cur guys around this area. Im talking with a guy in Tenn now, may stop in and see them on my way back from SC!

Brent

centerfire_223

Brent one of my best friends has some black mouth curs. I don't know if he has any puppies right now but I can ask for you if your interested.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Greenside

If any of you have a friend or neighbor with a border collie, take him along for a couple hunts for summer cornfield coyote. Probably not the dog to buy, but it would be a good chance to see how it works.

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: Greenside on August 25, 2006, 07:59:01 AM
If any of you have a friend or neighbor with a border collie, take him along for a couple hunts for summer cornfield coyote. Probably not the dog to buy, but it would be a good chance to see how it works.
Border Collies  would make a good decoy dog. My friend has one that was half way good. He just didn't get used enough, but he sure would let you know if there was a coyote around. He wouldn't go out  to meet the coyotes though, but with more training I think he would have made a great dog. If you have ever watched Bill Austin's tape on doggin," Radar" was a border collie in that video.

keekee

coyotehunter_1

Ok, guys....I don't have any true decoy dogs...  How about a cat?  :shck:

:rolleye:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

Brent,
  The "Original Mtn. Cur Breeders Assocation" that was started by my preacher's grandpa in 1957 is just about 10 miles north of me in Jamestown, Tn.
  Robert Kemmer, who started the "Kemmer Curs", lives about 5 miles south of me in Grassy Cove. According to Robert's son, Roy. They send a lot of Kemmer Curs out west for hunting coyotes.

Just thought I'd give ya a little heads up about the curs located in this county and surrounding counties. Tons of cur breeders in this area.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

keekee

Bop,

If ya talk to any of them and they got any pups, please let me know!

Brent

Rich Higgins

Rich Higgins

You don't really need any specific breed of dog. Just find one with good intelligence and the passion for the coyotes.  Train it to use a camera and send it out to take some pics.

Rick223

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

coyotehunter_1

Rich Higgins...  No, yours are great photos! :congrats:
Smart dog you got there too!  Critter cam?  :biggrin:

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.