• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Decoy Dogs in the East

Started by Jerry Hunsley, August 23, 2006, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Higgins

Coyotehunter, yes, that's a critter or helmet cam on the right side of Mattie's neck. Her backpack contains the battery pack on one side and a small camcorder as a recording device in the other side. This still is from some of the video that she has shot. There is a section in our DVD that has quite a bit of footage that Mattie shot.This year I'm adding another C'cam to her pack aimed backward to pickup the coyotes trying to bite her butt. Like this.

vvarmitr

[/url][/img]
This is my boy Ruger. And like was said it's hard to get coyotes in front of him here in Ohio.  He's tugged on some coyote hides & likes marking their posts. :hahaha:
I haven't used the shock collar for awhile, but all I gotta do is tweet & he's back. He roams w/in 100yds which can be alot in the thick areas. Had him out scouting a new farm today.
I'm wanting to get a golden female Kemmer Stock Mtn Cur & run 'em together so they don't get ganged up on. :whew:
When the puppys come I'll let ya'll know. :wink:

FinsnFur

So......let me be the dummy here and ask what....if any... is the difference between Mtn Cur and Black Mouth Cur?

I've got access to and been offered some good blood line Black Mouth's and have always refused them assuming this isn't what we wanted.
The guy that has them runs them strictly for coon, but I wouldn't think a fresh pup would be too difficult to turn on yotes.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

There's really not a lick of difference in any of them Jim. Folks have just bred them more to their liking of what they want to hunt.

If I remember right. The Black Mouth curs were started by a guy by the name of Ladner.
The Kemmer Curs were started by a guy right here in town by the name of Robert Kemmer.
The Original Mtn. Curs were started here in town in 1957 by a man named A.D. (Dewey) Ledbetter. His grandson is my preacher.

Mr. Ladner that started the black mouth curs and Mr. Ledbetter both started up around the same time with about the same stock and knew each other fairly well. I believe Mr. Ladner was instrumental in helping  the Original Mountain Cur Assoc. get it's start.
Not sure of why the split, but for whatever reason they did.

Robert Kemmer got his start out of some of Mr. Ledbetter's last few curs.

I kind of chuckle when folks say they want this one or that one........I believe they are all gamey and intelligent. You can do like you said with a new pup. Train it the way you want it.

I have three Original Mtn. Curs and all three of them go back to some of the same dogs that Mr. Kemmer and Mr. Ledbetter raised.

Hope that is clear as mud. I have a book around here somewhere. I'll try to look up some of this info. and clarify if need be.

:whew:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Yeah, you better find me the book, cuz all I got outta that was a family tree history lesson and a preacher that hunts.  :huh:  :roflmao:

:wink:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bopeye

Ohhhh.....for the love of Pete....... dense yanks.  :roflmao:

Let me try this one more time grape seed.  :confused:

:wo: They all came from the same dogs originally.

I have a male pup who's daddy is a Super Grand Squirrel Champ and 2 time Ky state champ. He is also very good on coons.

My male pup has a half brother from another litter out of the same sire.
He is used to hunt bobcat and bear.

He has several half brothers and half sisters, out of the same sire, that are used for hog hunting.

I am trying my level best to introduce this pup to coyote hunting. That's why I have him.
He's just four months old right now, so I'm hoping to put a coyote on the ground for him soon.

My two cur females will be used for squirrel hunting with the kids and just being the kids buddies.

Am I any clearer?  :whew:

Just go to my page......it has a bunch of links on it. www.hawkshawcurs.tripod.com/

If that doesn't work......I'm just gonna kick myself in the nads and go to bed.  :holdon: :sneer:

FinsnFur

Hold still, I'll kick em for ya  :biggrin:
I've looked at your site before. I enjoyed reading some of the stuff you have on there.

It didn't tell me what if any difference there was between Mtn and Black Mouths, but that was where I headed first when I considering looking more into it.

Now.... :huh: about the grapes.....
:eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Rich Higgins

Back in the early 70's there was fellow in Salinas, Ca. that I hunted hogs with that used Ledbetter curs as trail hounds. He had an interesting mix. His coldnose/strike dog looked like it was mostly German shepherd , and his catch dog was mostly pitbull. Whatever works best.

bearmanric

this is very good stuff.  i would like to get a dog like Bobmc let me know when a cougar is coming in. Jessieb got a cur last year talked how smart they are. great stuff.  i had hound's for three year's. take's alot of work. Rick

Bopeye

Holy Smokes Rich. Poor old Mr. Ledbetter would have rolled over in his grave if he saw a dog with his name on it that looked like a German Shepherd. :eyebrownod:

Here's some sites to learn about the cur dogs.

Original Mtn Cur Breeders Assoc. = http://www.omcba.com/

Kemmer Stock Breeder Assoc.  = http://centralpets.com/phpscripts/PrintFriendly.php?AnimalNumber=3432

Black Mouth Curs = http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/blackmouthcur.htm

This info. is used by most curs. http://www.blackmouthcur.com/FAQs.htm

vvarmitr

Quote from: Bopeye on September 17, 2006, 01:13:15 AM
I am trying my level best to introduce this pup to coyote hunting. That's why I have him.
He's just four months old right now, so I'm hoping to put a coyote on the ground for him soon.

My two cur females will be used for squirrel hunting with the kids and just being the kids buddies.

This may sound hypocritical, but don't you have that backwards? :confused: Shouldn't you use the 2 females for decoying & the male for squirrels? :eyebrow:

I know I'm using a male for decoying, but that's because he's all I have. I'm just a  poor yank. :shrug:

Bopeye

Your probably right if I was going to use him for a decoy. I wouldn't think it would matter much unless they were in estrus or something, but I don't know much about it.  :shrug:

I'm thinking more along the lines of using my dog as an early warning, hunting buddy type dog.

Set with me on stand, maybe venture out ten or fifteen yards, but not much. I like using a shotgun when I hunt, so letting him get out too far would leave them out of my range of protection.
Also in this thick stuff, it's hard to see what your dog's doing and I sure don't want to get them chewed on.

My male just seems to have a little more sense than the females do and he should be in the 60 lbs range when full grown. The females will probably be in 40 lbs range.

My two females are gamey as can be......the littlest one of the bunch I do believe would try and fight a Polar Bear.

Like I said though, I'm just learning all this using dogs for decoys type stuff. Hopefully, if the dog is a few yards out from me that will keep the coyotes eyes on him so that I can bring up the big 10 to put the smack down on him. However, we all know that it rarely happens like you plan it. :innocentwhistle:

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: Bopeye on September 17, 2006, 11:14:01 PM
Your probably right if I was going to use him for a decoy. I wouldn't think it would matter much unless they were in estrus or something, but I don't know much about it.  :shrug:

I'm thinking more along the lines of using my dog as an early warning, hunting buddy type dog.

Set with me on stand, maybe venture out ten or fifteen yards, but not much. I like using a shotgun when I hunt, so letting him get out too far would leave them out of my range of protection.
Also in this thick stuff, it's hard to see what your dog's doing and I sure don't want to get them chewed on.

My male just seems to have a little more sense than the females do and he should be in the 60 lbs range when full grown. The females will probably be in 40 lbs range.

My two females are gamey as can be......the littlest one of the bunch I do believe would try and fight a Polar Bear.

Like I said though, I'm just learning all this using dogs for decoys type stuff. Hopefully, if the dog is a few yards out from me that will keep the coyotes eyes on him so that I can bring up the big 10 to put the smack down on him. However, we all know that it rarely happens like you plan it. :innocentwhistle:

Bopeye, your male dog will probably work fine. The main thing is not getting a dog that is to aggressive whether it be a male or female. My dog is a male and works just fine. He weighs 62lbs and is solid muscle.

vvarmitr

Cooool pic' Jerry! :congrats: :highclap:
Is that a Black Mouth Cur?

Man Bopeye, I'd have to start 2hrs early to wear Ruger down before I could get him to set w/ me. :rolleye:
However he doesn't get too far & if he does a tweet brings him back.
I'm not too bothered w/ him getting bit (it might be a good thing) as I am about him getting ganged up on. :argh: That's why I want another dog.

Jerry: are you using one or two dogs?

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: vvarmitr on September 19, 2006, 08:37:15 AM
Cooool pic' Jerry! :congrats: :highclap:
Is that a Black Mouth Cur?

Man Bopeye, I'd have to start 2hrs early to wear Ruger down before I could get him to set w/ me. :rolleye:
However he doesn't get too far & if he does a tweet brings him back.
I'm not too bothered w/ him getting bit (it might be a good thing) as I am about him getting ganged up on. :argh: That's why I want another dog.

Jerry: are you using one or two dogs?   Most of the time just one dog. My friend has a mountain cur  and we use two dogs sometimes but they are quite competitive. Yes, my dog is a black mouth cur.  I never have to worry too much  about my dog getting ganged up on. He got bit early in his training and stays his distance.  I think it would be nice to use two dogs though.  In our case they have a tendency to range out too far, where they could get into trouble.