• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I am tired today

Started by Hawks Feather, June 17, 2021, 07:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

So, I have a part-time (retirement) job as the County Weights and Measures Inspector.  It is sort of fun to be out and about and I can stop and talk with anyone and am on my own schedule.  Basically, I test every commercial scale and gas station in the county.  For the past three days I have been checking gas pumps and yesterday I hit an all-time high one day total by pumping and hauling back to the storage tanks 675 gallons of gas, diesel, and kerosene.  Today, that is not going to happen.

Coyotes-R-Us

???????????? Was the fuel contaminated or just not what they were claiming it to be?
Too much additives? I never hear of Halling back Fuel for storage?
:shrug:
old is the new young

Hawks Feather

It is part of the 'measures' part of my job.  I draw 5 gallons and check it to see if it is within required specs (+ or - 6 cubic inches).  After it is checked it gets returned to the storage tank for that product.  I don't test for the purity of the product, only the measurement that the pump is calling 5 gallons.  I had one on Tuesday that was probably a -25.  Which was a guess on my part because my tester tube is only marked to -15, but judging on how much lower it was to the fuel it was probably at least a -25. That pump got shut down.  They brought in a calibration team yesterday that got it back to a +1.  The + or - 6 sounds like a fairly high number till you think that there are about 1,160 cubic inches in a five gallon tester.

nastygunz

FinsnFur

You don't draw the fuel to check the measurements and then dump it on the ground?? [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 17, 2021, 07:59:34 PM
You don't draw the fuel to check the measurements and then dump it on the ground?? [emoji23][emoji23]

I tried dumping it back in my truck, but it ran down the side and removed the wax.

nastygunz

Do you get a gun and a badge?  County Weights and Measures Inspector, freeze mother trucker!.. :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Badge yes, gun no. The words 'Weights and Measures' strikes fear in the hearts of installers and calibration teams.  I found a station that had new pumps installed and sent a message to the company contact that I had asking about it.  Within five minutes I received a reply that while it had been their company it was the Ft. Wayne branch and not their branch.  Told me how sorry she was that this had happened and that she would forward my email to the Ft. Wayne branch and let corporate know of the problem as well.  From what I have learned there are some Weights and Measure Inspectors that are real jerks and go out of their way to make it difficult for anyone and everyone. 

I was on a zoom inservice and the inspector that was giving the lesson was on the National Office.  He calmly stated that Weights and Measures have the authority to pull over trucks or stop them when they are leaving a plant.  I said that there was no way that I was going to walk out in front of a truck, calmly hold up my hand, and expect the truck not to run over me.  He agreed and said that he wouldn't either, but that we did have the authority.  I said that I have the city police, county sheriff, and State patrol on my cell phone and if I really want a truck to stop I am calling one of them. 

FinsnFur

Jerry's shooting at the tires holding up his badge [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com