• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

coyotes upwind? With pics of hedge tree!!

Started by stevecriner, September 20, 2006, 09:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevecriner

How many have you all seen go up wind to get around ya. I was out filming this morning and on two diffrent stands i had a coyote come from downwind and cross to the upwind to get around  me. I was just wonderin if anybody else has bad luck,cause it made it a B%$##  to film these coyotes. Needless to say after kicking my camera over and shooting a hedge tree there were no kills. :yoyo: 
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

Jeb

LOL Steve  :eyebrownod: !!  Sorry to hear this bud. Down here they always go downwind :biggrin:  , trust me   LOL
                                     Jeb

FinsnFur

Steve, did ya happen to get any pics of the hedge tree?  :highclap:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jrbhunter

I have seen coyotes circle upwind in territorial and mating situations... when using coyote vocalizations... in the rut/pre-rut phases.   Never in the spring/summer months.   

Is it possible they were using thermals or did you have a signifigant wind direction?   Thermals change everything- with the temp changes I've seen this week it has really turned up the thermals and made animals less predictable.  We're a sunny 65-68 in the day and 38-41 at night. 

stevecriner

Hunters Specialties

FinsnFur

NNNNNNnnnnnnnice

What kind of camera ya using?....and when's this film gonna....I say when ya gonna be done with this movie?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

stevecriner

I shoot a GL2. And im hoping to have it out around febuary or march!!!  Got to waite on my montana trip!!

Hunters Specialties

Jimmie in Ky

With what I can see and making a fair guess, it followed the cover available. You were trying to force it out in the open if it went down wind. It followed the fencerow and the dip in the terrain to get closer to the sound.It used what cover there was available to it. Jimmie

stevecriner

Jimmie, I think you hit the nail on the head! I never thought about it that way. See you can learn every day.

Hunters Specialties

Rich Higgins

Jimmy is right. Look at it's posture in the top frame. It is in the open and in the light and it is uncomfortable. It's ears are in a defense mode back and to the sides. In the second frame it is in shade and closer to cover with it's ears in forward focus. If you had left it alone  and it couldn't get a visual ID on you, it would have eventually wound up downwind in the open.
Did you skin out the hedge tree you shot or did you leave it lay? :eyebrownod:

stevecriner

Rich, I left the tree laying i figured since i just wounded it , it would get back up! Also them are frames from two difrent stands. The bottom frame,that coyote ended up in my pants just about. Thus me getting excited and shooting the tree! :madd:

And in the top frame this coyote i do recall him acting diffrent,so i just learned alot. I still would of got that coyote killed if i wouldnt of kicked over my camera!

Thanks for the replies.

Hunters Specialties

FinsnFur

I got just a few more details to work out for our boards trophy page, and she'll be all set.
Steve, your tree will be the first entry. :highclap:

I just wish you would have gotten a picture of yourself kneeling by it with your rifle.  :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jeb

stevecriner

If i promise to get you a pic will you really let me be first?  LOL

Hunters Specialties

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

fuzz624

This seems kinda unfair to me.Why does steve get in first? Ive killed dozens of trees over the years and all of mine were bigger than scroney little twig. :roflmao:

coyotehunter_1

Yep. drilled a tree or two myself... It's simply amazing how fast those darned things can jump into the line of fire. 

:roflmao:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Mallardsr

fuzz,Do you have pictures of those confirmed tree kills? :roflmao:

FinsnFur

Yeah, fuzz do ya?
C'mon we need to get our trophy tree page up. You too Mallard.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jimmie in Ky

Rich has an advantage over the rest of us in the east. He has had the oportunity of seeing not just a few hundred animals come to the call, but a couple of thousand. There are things he knows that have become almost an instinct to him. So much so that he can just look at an area and decide on where to setup.He has spent the time and asked a lot of questions to learn what he has over th years.

I myself haven't learned enough yet on the animals postures. I have to go by what I see and relate it to where I am.Your photo shows things that are familiar to me. Pastures , terrain features and other cover.When you give a coyote the option of going into the open to get down wind or use the cover to get closer, it will use the cover everytime.If you do not give it a way to aproach the sound, it will go to the downwind to check it from a distance. This is just coyote habit, it's what makes them such a thrill to hunt. Most of the time we outsmart ourselves and miss the oportunity to learn more. I am still guilty as hell of this myself.

I guess I should go back and check on that last littel cedar I shot. It took most of the bb's in the pattern and was wounded severely. I should go back and confirmn my kill for the trophy room :innocentwhistle: