• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

coyotes upwind? With pics of hedge tree!!

Started by stevecriner, September 20, 2006, 09:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevecriner

I agree jimmie. But the coyote in the first pic ended up in the open on the other side of the fence row. Thats what was wierd. I turned to shoot him in the fence row when he opted to come that way, but he kept going ending up out in the field.  EDIT To say : This is when i kicked over my camera.
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

stevecriner

Heres My trophy Jim. It just a lil one but I did hit him twice with one bullet. The first pic it pinholed the branch. I would of still hit the coyote if it wouldnt of grazed the second limb in the second pic. I walked all the way down there to get this pic. I hope you like it.

Hunters Specialties

Jerry Hunsley

I just got one question and it's no big deal, but why didn't you set up in front of the trees. Maybe I didn't understand the situation. Anyway good filming. :yoyo:

fuzz624

guys i havent got pics of my tree kills.From now on i will.This is a real shame to,because i got one pope and young class white oak with a bow and never took pics. :roflmao:

stevecriner

Fuzz, I got me a white oak once with a bow.

Jerry. I set up to play the wind. And i expected the coyote to come from the dowind. I had a cross wind situation . I have learned  that i always watch the down wind side if i could. It was just what i thought was a perfect set up. The coyote came in right were i expected at first and then he crossed from the downwind side of the creek and headed to the upwind side of the creek. Wich was good because he came in close without smelling me but it made it hell to film. I just set up to film where i thought he come out at wich would be the downwind side.  I have sence learned that this was a mistake and i hope to not make it anymore. But as far as settin up in front of the trees , i couldnt. I was in front of a bush though,lol.

Hunters Specialties

FinsnFur

LOL!  :eyebrownod:
Oh I like it Steve, I like it.
This is gonna be good.....now I gotta bet busy. Bopeye put one up too.  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: stevecriner on September 24, 2006, 11:32:10 AM
Fuzz, I got me a white oak once with a bow.

Jerry. I set up to play the wind. And i expected the coyote to come from the dowind. I had a cross wind situation . I have learned  that i always watch the down wind side if i could. It was just what i thought was a perfect set up. The coyote came in right were i expected at first and then he crossed from the downwind side of the creek and headed to the upwind side of the creek. Wich was good because he came in close without smelling me but it made it hell to film. I just set up to film where i thought he come out at wich would be the downwind side.  I have sence learned that this was a mistake and i hope to not make it anymore. But as far as settin up in front of the trees , i couldnt. I was in front of a bush though,lol.
You know Steve, It's always easier to pass judgement before knowing the whole situation and that's probably what I did. Sorry, and if someone was to hunt with me , I'm sure they could find somthing tha I did wrong pretty easy.  Keep the pictures coming.

Jimmie in Ky

It's more a question of what the coyote sees as cover. I believe they use everything in diferent ways. I noticed in the pic the animal was in some sort of depression that ran close to the trees. WHether it was a water way or just a dip in the terrrain doesn't matter. It kept the coyote from skylining itself. I have noticed this habit even when they are traveling inside the woods.  Watch them when they travel across open areas, you will begin to notice these small changes, that we don't pay attention to in our own travel habits. We see things at our own eye level and have a diferent perspective. Try looking at things from the coyotes eye level and you will begin to see things much diferently.

Bow shots don't count, the trees heal sooner :biggrin: Jimmie

stevecriner

Jimmie, I called a coyote in this morning that was coming in on a string and moving from south to north east. Heading perfectly downwind like he suposed to . Now this coyote carried him self rather shy you could say. Comitted but not sure and i noticed this. Instead of shooting the coyote at 70 yrds i kept him coming. All of the sudden he droped off in a depression in the field that i have never noticed in 3 yrs. Just deep enough to cover his line and to keep him hid until i seen him top the hill at 200yrds after winding me.. Good trick this coyote played and it saved his self. Now i know about the small depression in the field. And what is better is that this is a spot ive filmed 9 coyotes on one 45 stand, called in 6 coyotes at once, and had several singles and doubles in less than 9 months and now i have a noticeably grey looking coyote with a limp that i can recognize later and he is educated ( maybe). Puts a good spin on things, hunting non virgin coyotes. The last reply you made put another good tool in my pouch and others that are reading.  The first thing i always tell folks when im talking coyotes is you can never learn it all, and if you do ?you probably forgot something so you get to learn all over again. Good replies to this post keep em up.

Hunters Specialties

Bopeye

I learned that your shooting sucks as bad as mine Steve....... :roflmao:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

stevecriner

Hunters Specialties