• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Incident at the EXPO

Started by Uncle Jay, August 26, 2008, 12:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Jay

Jim,
I sure am glad we had a chance to visit a bit.  It was good to see you.

I'm spamming a little in case any members here didn't read it elsewhere.
Barry and I were documenting this incident in KC as it unfolded.

Steve Dillon saw a coyote in the parking lot as he was driving back to the hotel.  They (Steve, Mike, Gerry and Beverly Blair) stopped in the parkway and Steve lip squeaked it over to the car.  It went to the door and then around the front of the car and onto the parkway median.  That's when we pulled up in a Suburban choke full of expert predator callers (Randy Black, Randy reeves, Barry, Barbara, Ernie and some fart from AZ with a camera).  We stopped on the parkway too right behind Dillon and all doors flew open. Predator hunters piled out like a Volkswagen full of clowns at a PT Barnum circus leaving the Burb in the middle of the road.

The coyote veered away only to be pursued by no less than 8 lip-squeakers.  I'm sure the coyote thought he had died and gone to mouse heaven.

Here's some pictures from two amateur photographers showing different views of the same coyote.

Some of these photos are from two vantage points.  We were out-flanking the critter and nobody had a rope or piggin string.  Obviously this coyote knew I was there but when he heard all those mouse squeaks he quickly forgot about me. Biggest dang mice he ever saw.  He's thinking hard on how he's gonna drag one off to his hidey hole.  Might have to go get more help.

That is none other than Randy RajinCajun in the photo practicing on his right handed two-finger suck technique.

Parking stalls are 9 feet wide so you can see that the coyote going to Randy's squeaks is only around 12 or 13 feet away when I snapped this shot.  It got to about 5 feet to Randy's right arm.  I took a photo but it disappeared in cyberspace or somewhere.  [color:"red"]Randy's eyes glowed just like a coyote. I'll do some thinking on that later.[/color]

With eight guys lip-squeaking the coyote had no chance BUT Ragin Randy Cajun Out lip-squeaked us all.

It was funny to see seasoned predator hunters hiding underneath streetlights.  Think about it.  The only ones to call in a coyote during the 2008 Predator Hunting Expo didn't win the calling contest.

The coyote finally decided we had nothing he wanted and left.  We went to the hotel front entrance and others went to retrieve their vehicles left out in the street.  Somebody said "Let's go call it back in and seemed like a pretty good idea so off we went.  I started calling and before long somebody hollers out "Here he comes".  Talking on a stand never works does it.  We caught glimpses of the coyote was coming back from the ambient lighting from street lights and such.  We noticed that it had something rabbit-size in it's mouth.  At 60-70 yards out it veered hard to his right and disappeared from view. 

If we'd only had a school-girl topper for the JIB I think it would have come right on in. 
As it was the Randy Reeves JIB Topper worked much better than we could have imagined.  It's only in the testing stage and I can't say when it will be available.[img]
Uncle Jay

Jrbhunter

That coonass is everybodies friend... ain't no tellin' how he made that connection.

Uncle Jay

LOL.
I never thought that he might have already known that dog.
If it turns out he set us up, there'll be he|| to pay.
Uncle Jay

alscalls

What kind of camo did yall wear?........ :roflmao: :laf: :roflmao: that is funny.......never happens in the East :nono: :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Uncle Jay

Not sure I know what you mean Al.
We were about as far east in Kansas as we could get.

Good thing too because we had to keep crossing over into Missouri to get beer. 
Kansas has some weird laws that change depending on time and day of the week.
Uncle Jay

alscalls

I have never seen or heard of a coyote doing anything like that around WV is what I meant I work hard at it and am lucky to see the few that I do.......everyone says out west it is easy and to me KC is west.
I would love to go and see for myself how it is hunting those western dogs  :shrug: I may find I just suck at it but ya never know....... :shrug: I might just need to wear blue jeans and a T shirt and work on my lip squeakin skills...... :laf:
LoL nice pics, I enjoyed them.
AL

golfertrout

Al you are right that is out west for us, I have had alot of folks say if you can kill a coyote in the east you can kill a bunch in the west. You know we could kill alot out there Al, There are alot more dogs and alot less cover. Those western hunters would give up hunting if they had to hunt here. I would like to see one of them come here and kill the numbers they do out there

securpro

CRAZY, man can you beleive that  :nono: :nono:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Uncle Jay

Al, I know what you meant.  I was just funnin' with you.
If coyotes were as hard to hunt out west as they are back east, I'd most likely take up quilting.

We see quite a few coyotes in and around the city out here at all times of the morning and evening hours. 
The opportunity and timing of running into a coyote with a Suburban full of predator callers during the Predator and Hunting Expo in Kansas City was too bizzar.

Later on after the incident during our mandatory beer bullsession, we all agreed that we sure would have been funny to catch it and let it loose during the calling contest.  If Randy had been carrying a net like he was supposed to, we'd have caught it but sure as shootin' it'd bit somebody and we'd have to blame it on FoxPro.
Uncle Jay

KillerCaller!

That cannot be mere happenstance. It was in the Runes! Pedicted by the Tarot!

AlsCalls, I am sure that situation, sans 12 or so legends of calling, occurs more frequently than one would like to believe. Even here in the Middle-East-Westish.

golfertrout

dont happen here in the east to much, but out west there are alot more dogs that is why you all kill the numbers you do, come here in WV and see how many you kill, there are alot less dogs and alot more cover

Uncle Jay

I think that's your problem.
You're hunting in the thick stuff when you really need to be in a nice empty parking lot.
Uncle Jay

George Ackley

dont happen here in the east to much, but out west there are alot more dogs that is why you all kill the numbers you do, come here in WV and see how many you kill, there are alot less dogs and alot more cover

It don't happen out there to much ether,
why is it more coyote friendly out there , higher density of coyotes - less hunter presure,,
most hunters out west kill high numbers because they are good hunters...
they could come here,, my belief is they wouldn't kill any more then a good hunters here, nor would they kill any less,
there is thick cover in all the states.

it not a east west thing it a coyote density and pressure thing..

If you kill them here regularly you can kill them anywhere,

here is not just get out the truck lay your smoke on the rock next to yea and blow..you can do that on some unpresured coyote that are living in a high density area . some you cant ..

here you just got to work harder that all. and most them cowboy can work hard if they need to.

just my thought not a argument
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

alscalls

It would seem as though they are a different breed almost........But I would have liked to seen ya catch him and let him loose while JD was howling........ :laf: He woulda made some elk sound and won anyway for callin one in... :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

George Ackley

same breed ,different mine set

i would of given my left arm  to make it to the expo  ,, and yes I would of like to have met jay, and some others.

FinsnFur

Yeah, I gotta admit, when I caught wind of that story..I said "Bullsht" :nono:

I heard it from like four different people before you approached me Jay, and you all had the same exact story.

Kinda funny when you think about it, expert coyote hunters hiding under the veil of a street light. :doh2:
Just goes to show....no matter how much we think we know about these creatures, we have to ask our selves, do they know  the same set of rules we preach on these boards. :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Uncle Jay

Aw hell Al,
He would'a screamed like a little school girl and won the contest hands down.
Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay

Jim,
I think that coyote was headed West cause he was kicked out of PA for being too easy.
Uncle Jay

George Ackley

WHY JAY WHY :confused: THAT GUY THAT'S GIVEN YOU THE HARD TIME ANT FROM PA

WHY PICK ON US  JAY,,,,, WHERE IS THE LOVE

HE SAID (((come here in WV and see )))))))))))

canine

Nice pictures Jay..By the way, thanks for the digital juice tip...my order is on it's way!!!!

Yeah..I double dare ya.....come here to ohio and see what ya think of our coyotes, You'll have a place to stay here too, just no beer though....I know how you like your beer, but that can't happen here, my wife don't know I drink... :biggrin:

JD