• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Big female at sunset, big male tomorrow at first light

Started by possumal, November 10, 2009, 10:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

I feel real lucky to be the first coyote hunter in the world to kill a coyote using a new sound by Rich Cronk.  Kind of a secret weapon Rich developed to deal with call shy, PhD coyotes. It is a duet of his hand/lip squeaks and I knew it was pure poison when I first heard it.  Made a late afternoon stand today in one of my favorite spots near town here in Nicholasville, Ky.. After about 30 minutes with no customers, I decided to hustle my possum butt off and I may just have time to make one more last bit of daylight stand.  So, I gathered up decoy, etc., and headed double time to my second and last spot.  Made a dumb rookie mistake, leaving my rifle and shooting sticks by the tree in the fencerow where I was going to sit, and slipped out about 50 yds to place the caller and the decoy.  Just as I was getting ready to get up and slip back to my seat, I look up there about 150 yds, and a big male was standing there looking at the decoy and what was a big hunk of possum on his knees.  I didn't move and the breeze was in my favor, so I let him go through the fence, and crawled all the way back to my rifle. No sooner than I turned the CS-24 on with Rich's new sound, I see the big female coming down the edge of the grain field where the male had travelled just seconds before.  I put a little woop on her, stopping her at 190 yds, and put a 70 grain Blitz King right in her left shoulder. With her standing at a slight angle, it opened up a considerable hole in her right rib cage, resulting in a bloody mess.  I slipped out the way I came in, and have lots of hope I'll get hubby tomorrow morning at first light. Lesson is don't ever leave your rifle behind, but don't stand up and walk or run if you screw up.  Crawl fast and avoid cowpiles.  Here are some pictures of a really pretty 40 lb. female with a white tip on her tail.  The male is one big rascal so I hope to get him lined out tomorrow morning.  I might invite him for coffee (lol)

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Todd Rahm

Dang Al there for a moment I thought ya had a date.  :innocentwhistle:

NIce look'n coyote.  :congrats: But, man that looks like a boat load of stuff to carry to a stand.  :shock2:

GunDog

possumal

Todd:  Not much at all when packaged up.  Everybody has their rifle, shooting sticks, ecaller, and their decoy, don't they?  Well, maybe not their decoy and maybe not their shooting sticks. I personally wouldn't be without shooting sticks, especially at some of the longer ranges I encounter on some of the land I hunt. As for decoys, some people don't believe they are necessary. I believe that too on some stands, but on others they are an essential element for me, especially on problem yotes which I deal with a lot.  :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

JohnP

Well it's now tomorrow and long past first light, so..........

Nice coyote and nice shooting.  We don't normally grow them that big out here.  Without looking through my log book I think the biggest one I killed was either 35 or 37 pounds.  Most are in the 25 - 27 pound range, with the YOY considerably less. 

All I carry anymore is a rifle, caller and camera.  But I can appreciate you using sticks, If'n I was as old as you I would be kinda wobbly also. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

possumal

John P, if you were as old as me, you might be worse than wobbly!  :laf: :eyebrownod: :nono: I just like exact bullet placement at long range, kind of hard to do offhand.  I can shoot across my knees on a lot of setups, but sometimes you'd have to be a contortionist to do that in our terrain.

Todd:  I realize I forgot to mention that I don't carry those big old yotes in to the stand; they are in the picture after I kill 'em!   :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

Quote from: JohnP on November 11, 2009, 10:04:24 AM
  But I can appreciate you using sticks, If'n I was as old as you I would be kinda wobbly also. 

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

It is a dandy coyote, I'll give ya that. Nice job. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

possumal

No luck on the big male next morning after a major wind switch.  Some kind of animal did steal my keys out from under my truck though.  Wonder if it was a possum?  :laf: :eyebrownod: :nono:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

nastygunz

"Crawl fast and avoid cowpiles."............THEMS WORDS TO LIVE BY  :yoyo: :bowingsmilie:

alscalls

That big male musta caught them keys on his appendage as it must be a good sized one to be able to see his gender from that far away...... :hahaha: :hahaha:
AL

possumal

Alscalls Al, a big old mature male up here is built entirely different from the female, much wider at the shoulder and taller, a noticeable difference especially at 200 yds or so.  They move different when they get 4 or 5 years old and broad at the shoulder, kind of a posture thing.  Look at the pictures of some of the big males I have posted and compare them to the females and you'll see a marked difference..
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

alscalls

No need to get all High road on me AL......Just busting yer chops a little buddy.... :wink:
Did ya find your keys?   :laf: :laf:
AL

possumal

I didn't mean it to be high road, Alscalls Al.  I thought you were serious.  I guess a raccoon is trying to drive one of the big oaks out on that farm with my keys, but I'll bet it won't turn the motor over. Sure taught me a tough lesson, for sure.  Doing something a certain way for 40 years or so tends to get you habit bound, but this creature broke this possum from  sucking eggs.  There were keys on there to lots of locked gates on racehorse farms, big cattle farms, etc..  I can eventually replace them all, but Lordy, what a job it is. :laf: :eyebrownod: :nono:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

cathryn

when i saw the title "big female at sunset" i thought Al had been sneakin round takin pics of me at dusk  :wink: :roflmao:

real nice job,possumal.

do you ever skin them and sell the hide if they arent damaged badly?