• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

1st blood

Started by Yotehntr, June 27, 2010, 09:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Well I got a new coyote rifle a couple months ago...been dying to see how it'd do.  I have to admit to being a little nervous about the killing power of a 25 gr pill...even though it clocks at 3940 fps.   :eyebrow:   Well me and Doug, (WldWldWest) hit the fields this morning.. he took off walking into a different area than we usually go...said he had a hunch they'd be in a lower corner... well he spots 2 and we head for cover... now I have to admit to being a little anxious on this one... we agreed to wait and shoot together....couldn't see 'em for a little rise in the field, andl the coyotes didn't come in as quick as usual when I called...finally one showed...about his upper 1/2 @ about 120yds .... I was itching pretty bad so I whispered to Doug...."can I take him?"  he said yeah... so I squeezed away....cool as heck getting to watch the yote when you hear the bullet "thwap" and see him drop... :biggrin:   I was shocked at the exit of the little .17  not to much damage....about silver dollar size... we didn't see it but he did get back up and run about 50 yds.  Have to say an extra thanks to Doug for letting me take the shot, guess he knew I'd been dying to draw some blood with that rifle.  :yoyo: 

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

cityslicker

FinsnFur

I dont think you have to be nervous anymore :nono:
Nicely done :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Really cool. :yoyo:  Good story and Doug must be either a good hunting buddy  :biggrin:, or mad as [L] :argh:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Frogman

Good shooting!  That barrel looks heavy?

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Yotehntr

Yep Jim,  that stopped the wondering for sure! lol

I'll have to let him speak for himself Barry!  :laf:  He's a pretty good ol boy, he just don't want anyone to know it.   :wink:

...Hard to say a 17 rem barrel is "heavy" Jim... you have to remember the caliber... a bb gun is a .177 cal.... this is .172.... a sporter barrel looks heavy on 'em.  :laf:  The gun weighs about 8-8 1/2 pounds if that helps answer that one.   Not a bad carry at all. It should keep me honest being a single shot though. 

Bills Custom Calls

Great Job Brad!!!!! Good to see you guys getting out
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HaMeR

That is a sweet looking rig for sure!! And deadly as all get out apparently.  :yoyo: :yoyo: A lot of fur takers swear by the 17Rem.

I'm surprised Doug could even see that far anymore.  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Way to go.  :yoyo: :yoyo: That sure is a beautiful rifle. Good to see you guys getting out. Too hot and too many ticks for me this time of year.  :madd: Congratulations again.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

weedwalker

Congradulations Brad!! :congrats: Way to go. That's a nice looking rifle too. :yoyo:

Yotehntr

Thanks guys!  I've always heard the same HaMerr, just wanted to see for myself what the damage would be... just have to be careful on bullet selection.  

The ticks were out in full force Pat!  They were about ready to carry this yote off! lol  We got there, and Doug had forgot his bug spray... (I sprayed off at home) Told him not to worry there weren't any ticks around there anyway.  :biggrin:  Bet he didn't find 1 on him.  This was a very early morning hunt because of the heat.. and cut pretty short, we just had the itch to get out there.  

vvarmitr

That is so cool you got first blood on that gun!  :yahoo:

Did ya anoint it w/ blood?  :wo:

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

WldWldWest

The Yotehntr put the Smack down on that one! Our number's seem to always look better when he's on the trigger! I was able to have some fun though....When the second one was running across the field after the massacre I fired 4 or 5 over his head in celebration of the Yotehntr's kill with his new rifle.

HaMeR you Old Goat, I still have my eyesight if nothing else! :biggrin: 
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Yotehntr

The gun didn't get anointed James. lol  Unless the stink from my hands picking him up counts.  :laf:

Quote from: WldWldWest on June 28, 2010, 02:36:08 PMI fired 4 or 5 over his head in celebration of the Yotehntr's kill with his new rifle.

:yoyo:  See there Barry he was happy for me!  :yoyo:

vvarmitr

Nope, that don't count.  :nofgr:
It is a serious ceremony reflecting the Trinity.
The rifle causes the blood to come out & the life is in the blood.
You take the blood on your hands, finger in this case, for its blood is on your hands.
Then anointing the gun creates the bond between you & it & completes the cycle of the 3 involved.

So by not doing so you've really muffed it up. :pout:
I just can't believe you'd be so sacrilegious!  :noway:

coyotehunter_1

:yoyo: :congrats: I say, Sir Bradley... rather nice shooting ol' chap :highclap: :biggrin:

and a :thumb2: to Doug too.  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

vayotehowler

love guns not an enthusiast thought what the effective range on a 17, thought about getting one myself

Yotehntr

:confused:  step away from the keyboard Vv!  :laf:

Not really sure what the effective range is vayotehowler, guess shot placement would play a large part in that question. I wouldn't hesitate to take one at 250yds after seeing how it did on this one. That said most of my shots are under 100 yds... heck calling 'em in close is part of the fun... I did get a little anxious on this one though.