• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Coyote behvaviors

Started by 1snafu, January 14, 2024, 06:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1snafu

This topic is most interesting to me. Of course everyone has their own experiences, opinions & theories. One time I was involved in a conversation with a coyote houndsman. It was his opinion, coyotes do not jump fences. "They dive through or dive under them". Myself I have seen them jump fences, as well as dive through fence openings when pursued mainly. He denied my claim they jump fences. lol! well ok then.

I met a area farmer quiet a few years ago. Coyotes started slaughtering his sheep. Which were kept in a fenced coral attached to the side of his barn. Quite abit of his flock were killed. Few of them were eaten upon. I told him, I believe that behavior. Occurred because the parents were teaching their young to kill sheep. As it happened in late Fall. Of course that was speculation on my part. That same farmer. Then added another 4' of fencing on top of the main fencing. Which was roughly 4' tall. So 8' of fencing total. Even that 8' tall fence. Did mot keep the coyotes from climbing that fence & continue killing his sheep.

Okanagan

Interesting theory that the coyotes were teaching their young ones to kill sheep.  Could very well be.

Sometimes I think that they kill a bunch of sheep just because it is fun.  An acquaintinance of mine who was the predator control man for a big area in Oregon knew more about coyote behaviour than anyone I've ever met.  I went with him a few times.  He told me that once in awhile a coyote or pair would kill 20 or 30 sheep out of a  pasture with 100, and either eat nothing or sometimes eat the liver from one sheep.  He didn't say why but I got the impression that he thought the coyotes enjoyed chasing and catching critters. 

1snafu

I agree with that analogy. I've heard it referred to as "frenzy killings". Domestic dogs also do the same. Typically that occurs when two or more dogs gather. But a lone dog (or coyote) may also do it. The thrill of a kill I reckon.

pitw

I would suspect the coyotes were going under the fence.  They can go under through very small dig unders.   
I say what I think not think what I say.

pitw

I've seen more coyotes swimming than I have seen jump a fence.  I ain't saying they won't, just that in my limited experience I've never seen one jump a fence.  I've watched more than a few rabbit chases where the rabbit jumps the fence but the chaser always went under/through the fence. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Don't know one way or the other, whether coyotes jump fences.  I'm trying to recall if i've seen one jump a fence.  They sure have the ability to!  I saw a cougar jump a fence one time.

I've seen several coyotes dig under fences, or at least have seen where they dug a bit to enlarge a place to slip or wiggle under, often just enlarging a slight gap or a low spot in the ground.  We watched two last summer that went through a hole under a chain-link fence, then stopped to look back at us.  There was a slight erosion ditch under the fence from storm run-off down a steep hill with the fence built just at the break off from flat ground.  The coyotes had dug it out a little, enough to slip under.

The one my grandson killed a year or so ago kept trying to dig under his chicken pen fence, and it was only 6 feet high or so, with no top.

Great place for a snare!