• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Took the trypod for a walk this morning

Started by Bob D, September 16, 2006, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

To see over the grass I use a portable tripod. It works pretty well for me. I can carry it with my rifle and calls. Set up this morning before daybreak.  Used my Brad H howler and my Tho rabbit distress with the Foxpro. Had a coyote appear at about 200 yards and sit then lay down watching the area where the ecaller was running. I watched her for 5 minutes or more then decided I would risk the shot cause she wasn't coming any closer. Old female with about half of her teeth worn out.
Bob

FinsnFur

Bob, did you make your tripod, or buy it? If you bought it, what brand is it?

RR- the tripod is from South Texas Tripods. It is the 10  ft. model, weighs 43 lbs with the shooting chair. It isn't too heavy to carry for a distance.  You can get in touch with them by calling 800-593-4422. They have 4 sizes up to a 16 footer which would weigh 69 lbs with the chair. That size is too heavy for me. I've enjoyed using mine.
Bob
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jerry Hunsley

I bet if you would have used the hurt pup sound after that coyote laid down you would have had her in your lap. But anyway nice job.

canine

Dog-gone Bob...Your gonna have to change your name to "killer"..LOL..good goin!!

Jerry makes a good point, I know that works more than not..

Did you switch to tripod do to snakes?

JD

Bob D

I tried the hurt pup. I was running a woodpecker distress when I first spotted her. I changed to the hurt pup cause that has worked before for me. The coyote wouldn't come any closer. I used the male challenge  a couple of times before I saw her. I  only used it because I had tried everything else and nothing was working. I called for 30 minutes or more. I have called them up using the male challenge on this stand before so I thought what the heck give it a try. I think she heard the male challenge and was afraid to come any closer because of it.

The tripod gets me up higher so I can see better than on the ground.  It also gets you away from the snakes.The coyote could not see me cause the sun was in her eyes. I changed call sequences several times.
Bob

Brad H

I love puting the sun in the coyotes eyes. With the sun behind me I can see everything better and the coyote can't see a thing. On a calm day there is nothing finer than having a stand lay out perfectly with the sun like that.

Great job, Bob. :highclap:

Brad

Jerry Hunsley

Your right Brad with the sun in their face you can see that ole white neck and chest a long ways out there, especially in the open country we hunt.