• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

9 stitches but I'm not accident prone

Started by Okanagan, January 31, 2021, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Seems like I posted some pics of arm casts and stitches, etc. in the past few years.  Here again.

That folding pull saw Nasty likes so well cut me pretty good over a week ago.  A limb on a sagging alder sapling scraped my vehicle pretty good, so I hopped out to cut the limb.  Quck small cut, didn't put on gloves.  Springy limb, the big saw teeth caught so I yanked it and slammed the saw down into my finger on the off hand, with the blade sawing toward me.

First look, “Maybe I will wrap that and head home.”  Second look, “Maybe a pro should decide if it needs sewing.”

I had a first aid kit under the seat but quick wrapped it in a blue shop towel from a roll on the seat.  By the second towel bleeding slowed.  I drove to cell range and phoned our family doc.  They could get me in within an hour and a half so I went for that.  Stopped by home, dropped a rifle, switched to vehicle with auto trans and had a grandson duct tape the blue towel in place.

Two hours working on it, nine stitches. How dumb can a man get who knows better, than to put his off hand in line with a cutting edge tool?

The saw.  The blade. Shaky pic five days after the cut.  Not sure why they left long ends on the sewing stitches.

FinsnFur

Ooooowwwwwwchh!!![emoji15]
Oh oh man there's no way that didn't go to the Bone. Great big jagged saw on a soft little finger. I bet it had no problems at all ripping through that. That's going to leave a mark Clyde.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Yep, some bone chips cleaned out along with wood chips cleaned out before sewing it up.

nastygunz

I'm scared to use mine now  :huh:  that looks painful.

Hawks Feather

I guess I am now glad that I live in town so I don't need to cut any limbs.  That does look like a major cut and from the amount of time they worked on it, it is.

nastygunz

As a testament to the saw they really do cut like hell ! :innocentwhistle:

remrogers

Bet you used some words not "fit for family time".

pitw

It'd been easier to just cut the dang digit off.  We were born with too many anyway. :laught17:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

All you really need is your thumb and one finger  :wink:

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on February 01, 2021, 04:28:17 PM

...and a third hand once in awhile to put in the cotter key, etc.   :biggrin:

HaMeR

Dang Clyde!! That coulda been real bad!! I'm glad it wasn't!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

We veterans know all about teamwork! 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Quote from: Okanagan on February 01, 2021, 07:14:48 PM
Quote from: nastygunz on February 01, 2021, 04:28:17 PM

...and a third hand once in awhile to put in the cotter key, etc.   :biggrin:

msmith

Owchie! That saw sure done a number on the ol booger hook for sure. I'm likin' that saw though. Looks like it would make a nice Christmans/birthday gift...for someone else. I'm not allowed to have sharp objects  :innocentwhistle:
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Okanagan

Quote from: msmith on February 02, 2021, 03:44:59 AM
Owchie! That saw sure done a number on the ol booger hook for sure. I'm likin' that saw though. Looks like it would make a nice Christmans/birthday gift...for someone else. I'm not allowed to have sharp objects  :innocentwhistle:

If you put it on a gift list, make it a Silky saw rather than the Corona one pictured.  More expensive but a far better saw.

I got a Silky Pocketboy several years ago and carry it in my hunting daypack to trim calling stands etc.  I broke the blade on it last year and bought the Corona pictured for $14.  The Corona has bigger more aggressive teeth, good for cutting stiff limbs 2 inches or more in diameter, but too big of teeth for trimming the average small limbs I need to cut.  It grabs and pulls the springy limbs rather than cuts.  I think if I'd been using a Silky saw it would have cut the limb rather than grabbed and then cut me when I stupidly yanked it to free the bind.

Since this accident I broke down and bought a medium tooth replacement blade for my Silky.  $20 for the blade alone, about $40 for a new Silky saw.

Silky saw?  Japanese give odd names to stuff.  The most popular soft drink in Japan recently was "Pocari Sweat"  :shrug:

msmith

Quote from: Okanagan on February 02, 2021, 11:11:34 AM

The most popular soft drink in Japan recently was "Pocari Sweat"  :shrug:

Sounds delicious  :puke:
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

The branches under an inch I just use my teeth  :innocentwhistle:

Quote from: Okanagan on February 02, 2021, 11:11:34 AM
Quote from: msmith on February 02, 2021, 03:44:59 AM

If you put it on a gift list, make it a Silky saw rather than the Corona one pictured.  More expensive but a far better saw.

I got a Silky Pocketboy several years ago and carry it in my hunting daypack to trim calling stands etc.  I broke the blade on it last year and bought the Corona pictured for $14.  The Corona has bigger more aggressive teeth, good for cutting stiff limbs 2 inches or more in diameter, but too big of teeth for trimming the average small limbs I need to cut.  It grabs and pulls the springy limbs rather than cuts.  I think if I'd been using a Silky saw it would have cut the limb rather than grabbed and then cut me when I stupidly yanked it to free the bind.

Since this accident I broke down and bought a medium tooth replacement blade for my Silky.  $20 for the blade alone, about $40 for a new Silky saw.

Silky saw?  Japanese give odd names to stuff.  The most popular soft drink in Japan recently was "Pocari Sweat"  :shrug:

HaMeR

Quote from: nastygunz on February 02, 2021, 05:49:20 PM
The branches under an inch I just use my teeth  :innocentwhistle:

:hahaha: Or whoever they used to belong to anyway.

I looked at one of those pull saws today for the turkey vest. It wasn't the same brand as the one you used but it was just as aggressive tooth wise. I put it back on the hook and was hoping somebody made a finer tooth saw. Apparently they do so I'll be looking into the Silky's. Thank You for bringing up your old saw & the replacement blades for them.

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Silky has 3 grades of saw teeth:  coarse, medium and fine. I was tempted to get the fine, and would if it was mainly for cutting bone, but went with medium.  I wish it was a little less coarse but it cuts small stuff well.

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.