• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Wisconsin Conceal Carry

Started by FinsnFur, May 05, 2011, 05:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

MADISON â€" State Representative Jeff Mursau (R-Crivitz) and Senator Pam Galloway (R-Wausau) announced Wednesday they'll introduce new legislation to allow concealed carry in Wisconsin.

Mursau and Galloway wrote two bills, one requiring licensure and one without a licensing component. Wisconsin is only one of two states and the District of Columbia currently prohibiting concealed carry by citizens other than active law enforcement.

“Crime goes down when concealed carry is legalized,” said Mursau. “It’s time for Wisconsin to fully recognize the right of all its citizens to preserve their security and the security of their families.”

The Wisconsin State Supreme Court recognized the right of people to maintain their security in their homes and businesses in State v. Hamden (2003). In that decision, the court advised the legislature to act or else risk having the entire concealed carry ban ruled unconstitutional in the future, the pair said.

“The time for arguing over the question of whether or not to allow concealed carry has ended,” said Galloway. “It’s time for state concealed carry statutes to catch up with the Supreme Court.”

The last time the legislature passed legislation legalizing concealed carry was in 2005. Gov. Jim Doyle vetoed SB 403 and an override failed by two votes.

Mursau’s bill retains current law prohibiting convicted felons, people committing a crime, people with restraining orders against them or people convicted of domestic abuse from going armed with a dangerous weapon.

I already called my legislator :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Good for you & good for all Wisconsonians!!  :biggrin: 

otherwise known as cheeseheads  :innocentwhistle:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

weedwalker

I guess an armed citizen of Wisconsin will still be a cheesehead. But now a crimnal has the chance to become a swiss cheesehead. :biggrin:

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Tikaani

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

shaddragger

Quote from: weedwalker on May 05, 2011, 06:41:47 PM
I guess an armed citizen of Wisconsin will still be a cheesehead. But now a crimnal has the chance to become a swiss cheesehead. :biggrin:

:alscalls: There we go!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

WldWldWest

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

FinsnFur

Conceal carry has passed in a senate committee and is now ready to go to the senate floor for vote.
I'm a bit leary, but excited...kinda like heartburn :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

:yoyo: :yoyo:  I'm still hoping for the best for you fine folks Jim!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Well the day has arrived.
My Conceal Carry license showed up today :biggrin:

I have to admit it was kind of fun and interesting to watch this thing progress since last May. The rules and requirements established, then tore down and rebuilt again, and again...etc.

With Wisconsin being the new kid on the block with CCW permits, it was interesting and educational both to read over the Department of Justice insert that came with it, explaining what you can do, and what you had better not even try.
Just a couple;
Taverns - yes but not if your drinking.
Schools - up to 1000 yards, but not on the property.
No government buildings (duh)
Your vehicle in the parking lot of a business with "no weapons" signs posted, is exempt. (interesting)

One thing I havent read is anything pertaining to how the weapon is carried. I'm still looking around the DOJ website. But as far as I'm concerned this is NOT information that someone should have to go hunting for.
Obviously concealed means just that, concealed. But what are the laws? I can bet there will be people calling a roll of fat, concealment.
How bout the state of the firearm? Loaded? One in the chamber? no?... yes?

Another thing that is a bit unsettling to me is besides the fact that in my opinion they made it way to easy for someone to get a CCW, why is there not anything in place to set expiration dates on these and requirements for renewals?
I dont want to come across as an anti, and I am 100% FOR the right to keep an bear arms, but maintaining a certain level of control over it would be a little more reassuring. I know people that could easily get a CCW now that I wouldnt trust with a ball point pen.

You have to go in every once in a while and take an eye test etc, and renew your drivers license, to make sure your still fit to drive, dont need glasses etc. But whether your old and decrepit or not, your more then welcome to walk the streets with a firearm in your pocket. :iroll: WTF!

I like the fact that Wisconsin is now a CCW state, I supported it, I wanted it, but now I feel like they intentionally left holes in the systems so they can obtain everything they need to revolk it later, like little traps.
I shoulda ran for senate :doh2:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

The right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution.  More over it is a right bestowed by God!   

You do not want more restrictions on what should have no restrictions to begin with.   :nono:

As for carry methods,  keep the gun CONCEALED at all times.  No printing or other easy giveaways that you are carrying.  ALWAYS carry.  The gun is part of your wardrobe.  Sort of like a belt or underwear. 

Carry with a round in the chamber.  If you need the gun you don't want to have to rack the slide under stress.   If the gun is a 1911, carry it cocked and locked. 

weedwalker

You also need to consider what kind of gun you want to carry.  :wo: If it's too large, you probably wont carry it much. Most situations where you would need one would be up close and of a very short time. Not an extended gun battle. A small frame 9MM, 38 special, or a .380 are good choices. I carry a Ruger LC9 myself.

FinsnFur

I havent decided what I want to carry yet. Been looking over the other thread started by johnoh which has some good feedback.

I'm thinking small...small. I found a real nice comparison picture on the web too.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

Congratulations on getting some of your rights back.

Dont shoot yourself in the foot.

I pray that you never have to pull your firearm on anyone but if you have to I pray that you can defend you and yours with authority and clarity of mind.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

I stand corrected. The permit expires in 5 years.
I guess I knew that too,  cause when I was applying a local friend ask me about the cost and I told him it was $50 bucks for 5 years.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

yotefever

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 25, 2011, 05:04:56 PM
Well the day has arrived.
My Conceal Carry license showed up today :biggrin:

Schools - up to 1000 yards, but not on the property.
On the WI 4x4 site they stated you can be in your car and you can carry by a school but don't get out of your car.

Another thing that is a bit unsettling to me is besides the fact that in my opinion they made it way to easy for someone to get a CCW, why is there not anything in place to set expiration dates on these and reOn thquirements for renewals?
I dont want to come across as an anti, and I am 100% FOR the right to keep an bear arms, but maintaining a certain level of control over it would be a little more reassuring. I know people that could easily get a CCW now that I wouldnt trust with a ball point pen.
I know what you mean, I have seen some really dumb things done at the range and while out hunting. I shoot pistol silhouettes and use them for hunting (they work great on WY mule deer and antelope and coyotes everywhere) but that is different then cc so I will be taking some training. And since I'm an electrician I will have to get a stun gun too  :laf:

http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

FinsnFur

Stun gun :laf: hey if your an electrician, you HAVE to right?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

CCP

QuoteThe right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution.  More over it is a right bestowed by God!   

You do not want more restrictions on what should have no restrictions to begin with.

+ 1000

Even a dumb ass should have the right to bear arms to protect himself and we the right to bear arms to protect ourselves from a dumb ass.I even think felons after serving there dept to society should have the right.. unless their from Wisconsin.. :laf:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

5 SHOTS

Quote from: CCP on December 22, 2011, 01:49:06 PM
QuoteThe right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution.  More over it is a right bestowed by God!   

You do not want more restrictions on what should have no restrictions to begin with.

+ 1000

Even a dumb ass should have the right to bear arms to protect himself and we the right to bear arms to protect ourselves from a dumb ass.I even think felons after serving there dept to society should have the right.. unless their from Wisconsin.. :laf:

I agree.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

coyote101

Quote from: CCP on December 22, 2011, 01:49:06 PM
Even a dumb ass should have the right to bear arms to protect himself...

I agree......

......they just shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing