• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Snake season

Started by bigben, May 31, 2013, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Ues chet its a eastern timber
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

I would love to live in an area where there is a possibility of finding a rattlesnake under a tarp.    :rolleye:    How about you Jim?  Maybe we could move FnF over there and keep the computers under a tarp.

Jerry

FinsnFur

:nono: Not happenin :sarcas3:
I noticed tonight that Larry the Cable Guy dont like snakes either. LOL
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

Found 6 females and possibly one legal male and three copperheads

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

I wonder what a Fiskars X27 would do to something like that. :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

CCP

QuoteFiskars X27

Had to look that one up. Cool axe..
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bigben

Took my second cousin danny up this morning. Found this nice looking yellow. But it was a female. She was long enough though.

KySongDog

That snake stick doesn't look long enough to me.   :eyebrownod:

I've accidentally come across water moccasins and copperheads over the years but never went intentionally looking for them.   :nono:

bigben

Well me and danny went back upstate this weekend and after a 30 minute hunt we both tagged out. I wasnt planning on actually keeping a rattler unless it was a yellow phase that was decent looking and legal. Most are females and small. Well i found him which i have never found yet in the last three years looking.  I really looked at this snake for a while and wasnt sure if i wanted him or not because he looked like a cross were they have a chestnut color. But i noticed a spot of freshly shed skin and it was bright yellow.

We had only walked about a 1/4 of what i wanted and we seen 5 rattlers. One was a baby and the other 4 were full size males. Thats a good day of snake hunting and we didnt look for long.

He was 48" long which isnt huge but not a little puppy either

Him showing his bussiness end off

Shot down the tube.

bigben

Here is dannys black phase

WldWldWest

Y'all are Nuckin Futs! :confused:
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

KySongDog

I gotta ask.  I've never seen a tube used before.  How do you get its head in the tube?  Looks like it might be a bit dicey to me.   :confused:   Might be a good youtube video project. 

Is the tube made specifically for snake hunting?

bigben

The tube is a cover for flo lights to keep em from making a mess if they break. Getting them in depends on a lot of things. If the snake is warm it is dicey. If someone is makig too much movement then they get aggressive.  Im still trying to get a good tubing technique down that is safe but i think i got i figured out. I lay the tube down with their head slightly in. Then lightly brush his back with a snake hook. Experienced guys use their hands and kinda tickle em in the tube. Im not that brave and prob never will. I keep striking distance in mind and stay further then that. Its a commitment tho once hes in ya gotta grab him and the tube. I might video it when we kill this one just to get aome more practice.

FinsnFur

Will the tube fit over the barrel of a shotgun :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 25, 2013, 05:30:45 AM
Will the tube fit over the barrel of a shotgun :sneer:

That's pretty funny.  :alscalls: :alscalls: They scare the crap put of me.  :sad3:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Yep, I'll ditto that the tube project sounds a great idea for a You Tube video.   Keep the You in you tube when it comes to putting a rattlesnake in the tube!

I've hunted rattlesnakes a few times.  I always wind up jumpy and dreaming about them for the next few nights. 

Dave

It's ridiculous that there are that many in PA - tagged out and seen 5 of em in 30 minutes. 
How the heck did they end up here in the mountains, anyway?   :mad3:  Shouldn't they be in the desert in the S.E. where they belong?
I used to think it was kind of cool to have them here in PA, but just not that many where you might stumble into one.   

bigben

I'll see what i can do as far as the tubing video

bigben

I got the video hes to ownry to handle killing and cleaning him till tommarrow when i get help.

bigben