• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ice Fishing report

Started by FinsnFur, January 01, 2015, 10:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

No ones ice fishing? Ben? Nasty Gunz?
Here's my results of fish caught through the ice so far this winter up here.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Jim,

That looks just like the ones that have been caught around here.  But people here are still using boats.    :biggrin:   But the past couple of days has gotten about a quarter of an inch started.

Jerry

nastygunz

Ain't barley gut know ise sur :doh2:

bigben

we have no ice.  Anytime it gets cold enough to get a skim on to build on it warms up again.  to be honest I would rather hit the fast forward button to mid march.  im ready to get the boat out and run the river and creek again.  everyone kept telling me that it was going to be a cold winter this year.  We have only started experiencing winter weather which is unusual for pa.  Usually it is high of low 30's all through dec jan feb.    it was 60 deg one day last week and I almost pulled the boat out to head to the river.  I got a new bait caster that needs some time on it. :yoyo:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

We had good ice for a couple weeks, but then it got warm for a while and the only thing left was soft ice in the back waters. This week it's been makin new ice since Monday. I havent been out yet either, havent had a chance...but I'm pushing for an outting before Monday  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

let us know how you make out.  I doubt I will get out for this year.  I am going in for surgery(umbilical hernia) the 15th and am on light duty for 8 weeks after that.  Not sure if it is worth pushing it to fish for a few weeks.  the timing is about perfect for me.  I have been so busy for the last two months between work and life it will be nice to relax for two months. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

coyote101

Good luck with the surgery Ben.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Ben, sorry to hear about you needing surgery, but if it will help then you need to get it done and relaxing for a few weeks is seldom a bad thing.  I hope the surgery goes good for you.

Jerry

HaMeR

Good Luck Ben & take care of yourself before & especially afterwards!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Quote from: HaMeR on January 02, 2015, 06:54:48 PM
Good Luck Ben & take care of yourself before & especially afterwards!!

Yep, especially the take care of yourself till you are really healed.  As the doc told my 35 year old rodeo friend who thought he would be healed from a broken leg in 6 weeks, "You're not 18 any more and the healing will take a lot longer."

JohnP

Some good advice here Ben:  "Yep, especially the take care of yourself till you are really healed.  As the doc told my 35 year old rodeo friend who thought he would be healed from a broken leg in 6 weeks, "You're not 18 any more and the healing will take a lot longer."   Us old guys know what we are talking about  -  most of the time. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

pitw

Quote from: JohnP on January 02, 2015, 11:55:58 PMUs old guys know what we are talking about  -  most of the time.

BS  We did dumb[stuff in the bottom of an outhouse] and got old.  Their turn.
I say what I think not think what I say.

bigben

Thanks fellas. I will def be taking it easy.

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on January 03, 2015, 01:12:43 AM
Quote from: JohnP on January 02, 2015, 11:55:58 PMUs old guys know what we are talking about  -  most of the time.

BS  We did dumb[stuff in the bottom of an outhouse] and got old.  Their turn.

The dumb stuff we did is why we know what we're talking about, as you well know!   :alscalls: :doh2:   I'd love to hear more of your young doings, at least the ones you can tell.

Molotov cocktails, scuba gear with zero training, breaking into sealed off mines to explore them,  jumping off of the barn with army surplus parachute -- those are all dumb ideas, though I freely expect young people to ignore my opinion and take a turn at such activities themselves.

The painful results of pushing my vehicle to a better position in the garage last year with a stitched up arm a few days after surgery had something to do with my recommendation to give it time to heal.  And I'm old enough to be supposed to know better!   :biggrin:  Part of the fun of older age is knowing what we survived!

Todd Rahm

Couple of pike so far, nothing big.

FinsnFur

I managed to find enough for a fish taco this morning. Pretty slow going but I sure loved being out there.

Caught a 13 inch bass on a redworm while I was out too. I only use 1lb test on my ice poles so this was a pretty sketchy lil stunt. lol Still cant believe I pulled it off. Especially since I only put about 6 foot of line on these poles. It was quite a rush. Up.....then down....then back up....then back down....at one point I had my pole down in  the ice hole up to my hand cause I knew I was outta line on the spool. The whole thing lasted maybe 4 minutes...felt like 40 minutes.
I didnt take a pic because I hate drawing attention to myself (while im fishing) and I had people walkin up and standing beside me while I played this thing, waiting to see what it was. The last thing I wanted to do was whip out the phone an take a pic. I actually wanted to pop the line to get them away from me. LOL
ANYWAY...we cant keep any bass under 14" on boundry waters...so I got my jig back and he got his future back.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Love that pic of bluegills in the bucket for some reason.  Great account of your tussle with the bass, and skilled playing him with one pound line!   :highclap:  I've never used line that light, not on purpose anyway!

It is getting daylight here this morning and we have a skiff of snow for the first time this winter.  Will wander out to see if that translates into tracking snow where it counts.

Edit a half hour later:  storming and snowing so will wait till after the storm, maybe tomorrow, and give some time for critters to make tracks.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 04, 2015, 12:51:42 AM

Congrats on the fish, but a fish taco doesn't sound like anything I would ever eat.  I hope someone got a video of you fighting that bass.  I would love to watch it.

Jerry

Okanagan

Fish tacos are good!  My wife hates them so I suppose there might be a little personal taste and preference involved!  :huh:  She orders only a drink when we stop at Taco Del Mar (like a Taco Bell chain but it features Mexican fish menus).   Fish burritos are even better.

A diver I hung with in So. Cal. liked lobster tacos as his favorite way to eat the ones we caught.

Hawks Feather

Lobster and butter sounds pretty good to me!

Jerry