• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

An actual predator hunting story

Started by pitw, October 28, 2019, 10:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

At noon yesterday I found myself sitting on a hill overlooking a 15+- acre pond that had about 500 Canada geese standing on the fresh ice.  A coyote came out on the ice and got within 50 yds of the geese that didn't fly :shock2:  away.  I watched as it sat down to study the situation and I was thinking why didn't the silly bugger come over to my end of the  pond and sneak out to an island that would have put it within say 20 yds.  Another coyote came on the ice and went right to the first[a pup perhaps I thought] which prompted them both to walk off the ice to the North.  I sat watching and maybe 15 minutes later a coyote[looked like the first one] went out on the ice behind this little island like I had figured it should do.  The coyote disappeard in the willow on the island and for 10 minutes all was quiet.  Then that coyote came outta them willow doing mach 10 and slid into the flock, grabbing the first one within reach.  The geese close to the attack raised up and took flight but very much to my surprise most of the birds remained on the ice like they felt safe.  Only about 50 birds that were within say 10yds of the one who got caught flew and I couldn't believe it.  I never thought ol' wiley had a chance on that slippery surface but it took it only a couple seconds to have a fresh warm dinner that he took back to the island.  What a great way to spend a couple hours fella's.   
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

You didnt shoot the yodeler and eat the honker?🐺🐣

pitw

Quote from: nastygunz on October 28, 2019, 02:59:43 PM
You didnt shoot the yodeler and eat the honker?🐺🐣

Nope.  Was to much fun watching the show.

nastygunz

I saw a coyote try that on a hen turkey out in a cornfield once, close but no cigar !

pitw

Nasty, I have watched many coyotes sneak geese out in the fields and never seen them retrieve one[I believe they do but I ain't seen it yet].  When they do this the entire flock heads to the air and that is why I was soooo surprised when the ones on the ice didn't.  I believe now that the second coyote went out in the field for a try at the 150 or so that were there.  These geese were heading into the pond when the coyote attacked.  Was dambed near as cool as seeing the coyote swimming years ago and I was expecting this coyote to swim too as the ice were not thick.

nastygunz

I have a friend who is in his 70s who has a house right on the lake and one day heard a loud ruckus and looked out and some coyotes were chasing a doe on the ice and she was having a hard time of it until he unlimbered his .270 deer rifle and laid down some cover fire. 👊👊👍 :yoyo:

riverboss

Cool stories! Coyotes always find away to scratch out a living.

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk

JohnP

Great story, obviously living out here I have never seen a coyote stalking anything on ice.  But wife and I did watch a mountain lion stalking a deer, unsuccessfully. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

During icefishing season here usually when the fishermen are done they dump their minnows on the ice so you get all kinds of critters coming out on the ice after the bait like eagles and Fisher cats hawks owls coyotes foxes .

Okanagan

Rare opportunity to see something like that.  Thanks for relating it to us.  Would have liked to see it but your telling is almost as good.