• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ice road fishing!

Started by nastygunz, February 13, 2021, 08:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

11° below zero with a good steady wind and the bite was on :yoyo:

Okanagan

Ring perch, burbot (spookaleetz in Okanagan), and I'm guessing whitefish.  Looks like mighty good eating.  You go catchum in that cold, and when you get back, I'll help eatum!

FinsnFur

Nnnnnice!
Those perch are definitely going to be some good eating. I'll help you eat them also LOL. What is laying in the snow there? Hard to tell what those are.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

We call them cusk,  they also called them poor man's lobster:

"The burbot is the only gadiform freshwater fish. It is also known as bubbot, mariah, freshwater cod, freshwater ling, freshwater cusk, the lawyer, coney-fish, lingcod, and eelpout. The species is closely related to the marine common ling and the cusk. It is the only member of the genus Lota"

nastygunz

Cusk fishing has some strange rules in New Hampshire :

"The usual method employed by anglers is night fishing with cusk lines. A cusk fishing line is defined as a device for storing line, which is not free running and will hold enough Dacron or squidding line to reach bottom in the area chosen to fish. The angler's name and address must be plainly marked on each device. On the business end, you must have a sinker or weight one ounce or heavier (if using 1 oz. sinker, must be lead-free), and not more than six inches above the single, baited hook. Each angler is allowed six of these cusk devices and the specificied angler must check them by visually inspecting the bait end of the line, at least once every 24-hour period. Sound confusing? It isn't really, considering this method is a "throwback" to earlier times when limits and methods for angling did not exist. Furthermore, the angler is prohibited from "jigging" or "bobbing" this cusk line in order to attract fish. Only cusk may be taken with these lines. All other species must be released by cutting the line, near the mouth, while the fish remains in the water."

Coyotes-R-Us

Good old ling. Love them. They spawn under the ice in late winter.
We have a lot of them. A big hunk of sucker mear a #4 hook right on the bottom 6" past the heavy sinker.
Find a sucker hole in the river and splash it in at night with a new moon. DON'T let any lantern light hit the water... :eyebrow:
old is the new young

nastygunz

FinsnFur

Cusk [emoji2955]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com