• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Saw a cat yesterday, not sure whether bob or lion

Started by Okanagan, December 26, 2021, 07:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

On my way up to a Christmas dinner at a friend’s farm yesterday, I saw a cat of some kind in the snow.  Almost no snow at 100 foot elevation but any higher and I was into two inches and more.  Friend’s farm is maybe 700 feet, on the edge of foothill forest where we see the most cougars.  His son killed one on their farm in September.

Halfway up to his place I saw a cat 250 yards out in a snowy pasture. It was looking at me, broadside under a tree which gave it scale, standing on snow with a snow background so looked like a black silhouette.

Instantly everything about it looked like cougar, except that it seemed kind of small, like a ¾ grown young one, and the giant omission was that I could see no tail.   I didn’t have binoculars in my car or would have stopped and glassed it.  I tried to make it into a coyote and then a bobcat, but it just looked like a teenage lion with no tail.  It did not move for the few seconds I looked at it (didn’t want to stop on the slick uphill road).  Maybe the tail was curled ahead on the opposite side of its body.  Mystery animal.

It may have been a BIG bobcat, definitely was not coyote nor farm dog.  Always fun to see critters, and  to speculate on the interesting ones. 

FinsnFur

Sounds like an interesting escapade for sure. The way our eyes play tricks on us in those situations makes ya wonder if it coulda been a crow. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

It would be great to see something like that out in the wild.  If it needs a new home you can send it here to take care of the homeless cat problem.  It could be like the pied piper and lead them to the river or could just eat them.  Either way sounds great to me.

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 26, 2021, 08:35:51 PM
Sounds like an interesting escapade for sure. The way our eyes play tricks on us in those situations makes ya wonder if it coulda been a crow. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Was probably a spotted owl eating a black footed ferret, at just the right pose to make it look like a big cat.

There are a few sightings in my lifetime that still puzzle me.  One was in Yellowstone Park in August of 1968, not long after dark.  It was about the size of a wolverine, maybe a yearling bear cub, didn't look like either one.  It crossed the road not 40 feet in front of my car, plenty close enough to see well in the headlights.  Never could ID it.  Likely an odd bear cub with an unusual gait, color, maybe some deformities...

The other was in N. Sasketchewan, midday on a remote gravel road, when a strange brown furry critter slowly crossed the road till we were within 30 feet of it as it went into brush on the side.  My travelling companion was an old timer dog sledder from Alaska who had seen it all, and neither of us could figure out what the critter was.  We turned around but it was gone.  Most likely was a fisher that was injured and moved slowly and kind of humped up. 

Good thing we have Bigfoot and chupacabras as categories for critters we can't ID. 

Hawks Feather