• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

This coon ruined my squirrel hunt.

Started by coyote101, December 31, 2021, 08:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I went coon hunting yesterday morning but never saw a coon. However, there were squirrels running everywhere, and I ended up with a limit of squirrels. So, this morning I went back to the same section of woods expecting similar results. But it was not to be; I didn't see a single squirrel. Yesterday I was overrun by squirrels, and today not a squirrel in sight! What I did finally have, after several tries, was a mama coon that just couldn't tolerate the sound of baby raccoon in distress. A couple of minutes into the calling, she came charging through the woods, headed toward the caller. She paused for a second, a few yards from the call, and I finally got a coon.

Caller, decoy, and Ruger 10/22 did the job:

Yesterday's haul:

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

nastygunz

Dang! Coon calling is an absolute blast, I didn’t do any of this year for some reason, I usually use the shotgun.

Hawks Feather

Congrats on the coon.  So are you planning to sell the pelt, and if so, what are they selling for in your area?

coyote101

Jerry,

I kept the tail, and am tanning it. I gave the coon to an old guy who lives on the farm I hunt. I also gave him the squirrels I got the day before.

I have no idea what fur is going for around here, but may see if I can find a trapper who I can give them to when I get some more.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on January 01, 2022, 05:08:31 AM
Dang! Coon calling is an absolute blast, I didn’t do any of this year for some reason, I usually use the shotgun.

I just started last week, and this was my first taker. I may switch to the shotgun because it's a lot easier with a moving target, but I like the .22 for the squirrels.  :shrug:

Pat
NRA Life Member

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on January 01, 2022, 05:45:57 PM
Fine looking Foxpro.

Thanks, I just got a month or so ago. I traded in my old 416b and upgraded to a X24.

Pat
NRA Life Member

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I heard FoxPro is the number one selling game caller in Canada :innocentwhistle:

remrogers

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 01, 2022, 08:59:50 AM
So are you planning to sell the pelt, and if so, what are they selling for in your area?

Most American raccoon went to Russia. When their economy went into the toilet, a number of years ago, the price on coons dropped dramatically. I sold coon pelts for 30 to 40 dollars each back in the late 70s. If you were to get 15 for them now, you could consider yourself fortunate.

Todd Rahm

Nice mess of squirrels!!! I love squirrel, but the wife makes me cook it out side.  :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Todd Rahm on January 05, 2022, 03:30:27 AM
Nice mess of squirrels!!! I love squirrel, but the wife makes me cook it out side.  :biggrin:

Try putting the squirrels in a crock pot with a can of beer.  When the meat is tender enough to fall off the bone, drain the crock pot, shred the meat, put the meat back in the crock pot with barbecue sauce, and let it simmer away till you are ready to eat.  No squirrel or wild taste, it just tastes like barbecue beef.

JohnP

Try putting the squirrels in a crock pot with a can of beer.  When the meat is tender enough to fall off the bone, drain the crock pot, shred the meat, put the meat back in the crock pot with barbecue sauce, and let it simmer away till you are ready to eat.  No squirrel or wild taste, it just tastes like barbecue beef.

[/quote]

Good recipe Jerry, we almost always take a pressure cooker with us when we go camping and do it with the pressure cooker in lieu of the crockpot.  However, I also like it this way.

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Fried young squirrel is some of the best meat I've ever eaten.  Eastern Oklahoma is where I ate it, at my grandmother's place.  They told me thqat old squirrel was tougher and didn't taste as good.  Maybe  pressure cook that? 

Todd Rahm

I’ll try that Jerry…….if I can get the beer to the crockpot.  :innocentwhistle:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Todd Rahm on January 06, 2022, 11:30:41 PM
I’ll try that Jerry…….if I can get the beer to the crockpot.  :innocentwhistle:
That is the hard part!