• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Antler Party 2022 one record book critter

Started by Okanagan, January 19, 2022, 10:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Extra good antler party this year.  One son and grandson cooked a whole beef brisket for 8 hours in their smoker, and it was so delicious I didn't get a pic till it was almost gone.  Elk sausage, deer pepperoni, pizza, etc.

There were 14 of us at the party in a cousin's garage, including a two year old great grandson and one non-family member guest.  Each year after the end of big game seasons, the hunters in my extended family get together to swap our stories from the recent Fall, show horns, etc..  I think the count was 15 big game animals, including two black bears, two antelope, five blacktail deer, only one mule deer, a few whitetails and only one elk this year but it makes the Boone & Crockett record book.  One of the blacktail bucks was unusually wide and an outstanding buck.  All hunts DIY without guides, though the mule deer and antelope were non-resident in another state.

An official Boone & Crockett scorer joined us at the party and carefully measured the big Roosevelt bull elk for an official score.  It was taken with a bow so qualifies for the Pope & Young archery record book but it scored high enough to make the Boone & Crockett rifle record book.  It gross scores 301.5 and nets 294.5.   

Photo below is of two grandsons with record book bulls taken with bow.  Cody is on the left with his big bull taken a few years ago and Riley on the right with his B&C bull from this Fall, scored last night at 294.5.  Code's bull scores high in Pope & Young, almost into Boone & Crockett.  B&C minimum for Roosevelt elk is 290.

Photo below of the two record book racks, Riley's on the left and Code's on the right.  Code's bull is wider, Riley's astoundingly thick and heavy, plus has outstanding 2nd's and 3rd tines on both sides.  Very symetrical with little deductions.   Both bow kills, Code's at 4 yds and Riley's at 35.

Couple food pics below. End left from a BIG whole beef brisket.

One pie is wild alpine huckleberry.  The other is a local berry called Evergreen huckleberry, very small berries, and I had to add a few regular huckleberries to fill the pie.  First time we've tried the Evergreen berries in a pie.  We liked the combo better than regular huckleberry, which is amazing .  Huckleberry is GOOD!  French vanilla ice cream, natch.

nastygunz

I’d like to go caveman on that brisket :eyebrow:

bambam

I just ate but dang I'm  hungry again !!!!