• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Hunting coyotes with pups?

Started by Bowhunter57, May 19, 2007, 08:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowhunter57

I have no intentions of letting up on the coyote population, here in Ohio, as I hunt them all year long. I don't believe it's possible to put a "dent" in the population by hunting them 365 days of the year.

However, some folks have a "conviction" about hunting coyotes with pups. What's your thoughts?

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

FinsnFur

Your right...could be a heated discussion.

Personally....I agree...I dont think everyone combined could put a dent in the population. They over come and adapt to the point of breeding mutiny.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Rich

"However, some folks have a "conviction" about hunting coyotes with pups. What's your thoughts?"
---------------------------------------------------------------
I understand  the feelings of those folks, and I respect their their  feelings on the subject.  I personally make my own decision as to when I pull the trigger on a coyote. Calling coyotes is a passion for me. I go out and fulfill my passion  as often as I can. Old farts like me can do that.  :wink:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

The Rock

Coyotes are targets of opporitunity around here. I don't call year around because of the heat, bugs, and snakes in the summer but, I'll take a coyote out when ever possible.  :shrug:

Rich

The Rock ,
Surely you don't allow a few little things like heat, venomous snakes and bugs keep you from calling coyotes do ya?  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Field staff

CCP

I feel you should hunt them when ever you like as long as it's legal.

This is one of the things I love about this board.  I find most men here respect the right of a man to make his own decisions when to hunt.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Carolina Coyote

Glad to see that most of you guys Hunt them when you want to, Myself I only go when I'm by myself or with someone or when its Daylight or Dark, all other times just sitting around thinking about going. cc

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

rwehuntn

If I am trying to deplete the amount of coyotes in a given are (Say around a ranch, farm, etc.) I will hunt at every opportunity. I don't worry about if the pups are there or not. In that situation I am doing it as a favor to the rancher or farmer. I don't really care to hunt the coyotes between may and sept. in the other areas I hunt. Those areas are far away from any ranches and the coyotes are killed for fun and fur. The fur is no good in the hot months and if there are no pups that survive, the hunting sucks down the road. I also hate having to let the occasional bobcat or fox go if the season is closed (I got really pissed last spring and had to pass on a HUGE tom bobcat because season was closed). In a nut shell, what I am saying is depends on the situation and/or reason for hunting the coyotes.

keekee

I dont hunt during denning season, except for a few ADC calls I get from the state. I spend my springs and summer getting ready for fall. If I do hunt in the denning season, I make damn sure I dont leave no pups in the den. I find them no matter what it takes and take them out as well.

But I do respect those who hunt in the summer. I have no problems with that at all.

Brent

FinsnFur

You wouldn't have time to if you HAD to  :iroll:

:roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

ohiobob

WOW
On another board people would have been crucified,,thats what 2 of my biggest arguments was over on the shit board
and MY fights over there were not over to hunt or not to hunt coyotes in the summer,,my fights were over lettin the guy with the hunting license make HIS/HER OWN CHOICE!!! :doh2: ,,the last straw over at the OUJI (PM) Board (because all the "PRO'S" over there know everything even the future) was when a guy from Texas said he was going to the ranch down the road to hunt and 3 well known ASSHOLES over there jumped him HARD and told him to make sure he brings back pics of the starving,suffering pups and called the guy every name in the book,,THE Gentleman even told them it was because the rancher had late calves and the rancher DEMANDED IT!!!and they still rode his ass about it!
then i said he who pulls the trigger should make the choice,,,,well you people KNOW how fast they turn on people over there,,,i DIDNT want to hunt coyotes after February,,the FIRST coyote i ever seen was last year while groundhog hunting and me and the 2 boys would not shoot the coyote we seen(OUR CHOICE)
But after the bullshit over there i told bnccont that i was coming down on April 28th to hunt coyotes,,i wanted 1 just so i could go back to the "other" place and post 300 pics and tell them i tried to get pics of the pups BUT i drove my truck over them 1000 times just to hear them scream,,and the reason i would have posted that was to get into it again with the "PROS",, BUT after my MISS on the DARK COYOTE i will hunt them when i can,,to hell with them over there
I LOVE THIS BOARD because it is FREEDOM OF CHOICE OVER HERE,,i laugh like hell when i hear the long bow shooters fight with the crossbow shooters in this state,,I SHOOT recurves with cedar arrows,,AND I DONT CARE WHAT THE OTHER GUY SHOOTS,,i had a buddy that was anti anything except traditional archery,,,12 years ago he bought his Dad a Crossbow,,i was in his ass,,the excuse was that his dad would shoot them with a 22 so he may as well keep him legal!  :shck:
I LOVE this board because not ONCE in this thread did someone call someone else a DUMBASS for making his OWN choice and hunting coyotes as long as they are legal,,hell over at the "shit" site there would have been 10 people banned and the thread locked by now :argh: of course we dont have an OCEAN TOAD over here grooming his CULT FOLLOWERS in GESTAPO LIKE TACTICS :doh2: uh,,uh,,no one here speaks French do they? :whew:
I feel better now
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

iahntr

I wanna start by saying  if it's legal, go for it. I don't go outa my way too much this time of year to hunt em. If one came into my decoy while turkey huntin, it's probably gonna get an arrow flung at it. I think everybody has a standard or a "line" that they don't wanna cross. Most I think are kinda down the middle, some may  go a little extreme (in my opinion) one way, kill anything, any way, for "fun", and some a little extreme the other way (again my opinion) won't step on a bug, kill a spider etc. I found a bigger garter snake by our little koi pond when our fish were perty little. I grabbed him by the tail and bashed it's head against a rock. Did it have babies?  :shrug:  Does that make me a bad person? :shrug: Maybe to some, they're entitled to there opinion. Or, for arguemants sake, it's only a rabbit and he was getting into my garden so I put a bullet in his head, did it have babies? :shrug: What about pig huntin and shoot a sow, did it have babies?  :shrug: Or bear huntin in Canada, and a big sow comes in with cubs?  :shrug: It's not illegal to take that sow. When I go to Texas next week, if I get the chance at a bobcat, do I take it? It might have babies. I'd be willin to bet there might be a few people that would say, it's a coyote and I'm gonna hunt them year round, but - hey that's a bobcat and I wouldn't shoot them this time of year. Who's right, and who's wrong. Just because somebody has a different "line" then yours, does not make one right and one wrong, just different opinions. Again I say if it's legal, have at it. Opinions are fine, but I don't like to see it getting so heated and to the point of division, we sure don't need any more of that with the laws and anti's as strong as they are................Just my opinion :biggrin: :biggrin:
Scott

Nelson

+1 to what CCP said.   :yoyo:

Nelson

studabaka

:wo: So far it doesn't really matter when I 'hunt' them.......  :puke:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

centerfire_223

First off let me say, I have no problem with anyone killing coyotes year round.

But for myself, I hunt coyotes for sport, cause they are the ultimate challenge. I don't hunt during the denning season, simpily because if I kill the parents of a litter of coyotes, then there is a good chance that the pups are going to die a slow death. I don't want to see anything die like that, even an ole coyote. Besides these are my targets for the fall and winter. Every one that starves to death is one I can't call up and shoot.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Bowhunter57

Many thanks to everyone that has replied to this topic! :bowingsmilie: As a new member on this forum and having been a member on several other forums, I really appreciate everyone's professionalism and respect of others opinions as to their method(s) of hunting.

I'll be hangin' around here for a while. :biggrin:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

The Rock

Quote from: Rich on May 19, 2007, 01:48:18 PM
The Rock ,
Surely you don't allow a few little things like heat, venomous snakes and bugs keep you from calling coyotes do ya?  :eyebrownod:

Don't call me Shirley!  :biggrin:

Yep, I do let those few things stop the calling Rich. Just isn't fun out here in those conditions. Coyotes can be shot year around here though. No season on coyote and jack rabbit so they get hit as target practice. I do sell a little fur Jan - March too so They get hit harder in those months also. Sept - Dec the young and dumb ones get shot up pretty regular by all the coyote experts :innocentwhistle:. If you don't go out for them the next guy will get them anyway :shrug:

Rich

The Rock ,
You sound like a heck of a good man. Where ya from?  :wink:
Foxpro Field staff

canine

Hey Bowhunter57, I answered this question over at ohio sportsman. (razor) over there.

Welcome to Fins and fur :yoyo:

JD