• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Saw some killer whales yesterday

Started by Okanagan, July 19, 2022, 08:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

A pod or small group of killer whales swam past us while we were salmon fishing near the tip of Ediz Hook off Port Angeles yesterday.  Appeared to be some big ones and smaller ones.  They were several hundred yards away, heading west, well out in the open Strait.  We did not want them to come nearer because our experience is that salmon disappear or get lock jaw when killer whales come around.  Fishing will totally shut down for several hours.

Hawks Feather

They would be enjoyable to watch, but not much if you are fishing. Glad for you that they kept their distance and didn't bother the catching.

nastygunz

They are some fascinating creatures.

pitw

Are they good eating?
Pretty cool ya gotta see them.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on July 20, 2022, 09:23:08 AMAre they good eating?
Pretty cool ya gotta see them.

Tastes like chicken...   :innocentwhistle:

Yah, cool to see.  We haven't seen them much in recent years.  About 25 years ago a killer whale grabbed a salmon my uncle was playing. That little bunch zoomed in and caught all of us by surprise, fishermen and salmon alike.  No more salmon bites for several hours.

The ones the other day were close enough that we were concerned that the salmon would quit biting but it didn't seem to effect the slow bite trend we were having.  The whales were out on the open "highway" travelling west, and maybe the salmon close to shore where we were could tell that. 

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I can see you hooking one from your kayak and getting a Nantucket Sleighride  :wink: