• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Alaska's Wolf Man

Started by coyote101, May 20, 2008, 10:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Alaska's Wolf Man - The 1915-55 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser by Jim Reardon

Tikaani's stories and pictures have gotten alot of us dreaming of Alaska. He's living the dream. A few of us might be fortunate enough to hunt or fish there at some time in our lives. Most of us will only experience Alaska through the eyes of others, either on television, in magazines or in books.

A good friend of mine, who has lived there since the mid nineties, sent me this book a couple of years ago. It is the story of Frank Glaser, an Alaska legend, who went to Alaska in 1915 at the age of 26 and stayed until his death in 1974. During his lifetime Glaser was a market hunter, trapper, roadhouse owner, professional dog team musher, and federal predator agent (wolf hunter) for the U.S. fish and Wildlife Service. It is a great book and easy to read.

What I would like to do is pass the book around to anyone who would like to read it. If you are interested, just respond in this thread, then send me a PM with your address, and I'll send the book to you. The first one to respond gets it. All I ask is that you read it in a reasonable amount of time and when you finish, reply again in this thread to notify anyone else who is interested. Get their information and the send the book to them. When nobody else wants to read it, the last guy can just send it back to me. If life in the Alaskan wilderness interests you, then you won't be disappointed in this book.

Pat

Here's the list:   Semp (finished)
                      Coulter (finished)
                      nailbender (skipped)
                      LORDDAL (finished)
                      Bopeye (finished)
                      cb223 (finished)
                      nailbender (finished)
                      possumal (finished)
                      alscalls (finished)
                      Jeb (finished)
                      Hidehunter (finished)

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Tikaani

Pat,

I think that is a great idea, very neat thing to do.  I have only read exerpts from this book, I think I will dig it out and read it now.  He was an amazing man.  Another great book is, One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey  the writings of Richard Louis "Dick" Proenneke.  His documentary has been on Public TV as Alone in the Wilderness, some may have seen it.  Again, very neat thing to do Pat.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

KySongDog

Hey Pat,

I'd like to take you up on the book.

PM sent. Thanks.

Semp

KySongDog

There is a show on Discovery Channel this week called the "The Alaska Experiment".  It is about 3 groups of people trying to survive Alaska for 3 months on their own.  Its a pretty good show.  Take a look.

The Alaska Experiment

The whole series replays tomorrow (Thursday) at 7:00pm Central time on the Discovery Channel. 

Semp

Coulter

I'll take ya up on that offer as well Pat...whenever Semp is done that is :wink: I have been looking for a good book to read and this sounds like a good one.

I had another one also, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I let my buddy borrow it a while back. It was also about Alaska and I believe the name of the main character was ?? Korth...maybe Heim Korth, but I'm not sure now. I was forced to read it for an American West College course that I took and I loved it.

One that I would NOT recommend is The Cold Man Cometh I tried to read this book and just couldn't get through it. There was just something about the writers style that didn't lend well to this genre.

Steve

Tikaani

Steve,

I think the book you are refering to is about Heimo Korth and is called "The Final Frontiersman"

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

nailbender

Great idea Pat! Coulter when you get done, let me know.   I must have watched that show " One Mans Wilderness" five times already.

coyote101

Tikaani,

I have One Man's Wilderness also. I saw Alone in the Wilderness on PBS and was amazed by Dick Proenneke. I had to have the video and the book. I've probably watched that video a dozen times. The book is equally good. What an incredible guy. If there is enough interest in doing this with Alaska's Wolf Man, I'll probably do the same thing with One Man's Wilderness. Anyone interested in life in Alaska ought to read these books.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Coulter

Yep...thats the one John. I'm surprsied I remembered rthat much of his name, just forgot the "o". Excellent book to read. There are some sad parts in it when Heimo loses his daughter to the river, but that is just one of the many perils that must be dealt with up there. Especially when you live in the bush as the Korth's did. I have to get that book back, I wouldn't mind reading it again.

Steve

coyote101

The book is on its way to Semp. It looks like after that its to Coulter, then nailbender, then anyone else who's interested.

Pat
                   Semp
                   Coulter
                   nailbender
                   LORDDAL
                   Bopeye

NRA Life Member

Todd Rahm

Well, ya know some of us that live up here don't take advantage of whats in front of us sometimes, and end up regretting it if we leave.

Maybe I should get busy.  :wo:

I haven't read that book, but will add it to my list and I'll see what books I have still laying around the house.  :wink:

alscalls

I would like to purchase the book any thoughts on where to buy it?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

coyote101

NRA Life Member

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

LORDDAL

put me on the list for the book id like to read it as well alaskas wolf man and Tikanni if your going to di the same with One Man's Wilderness I would like to get in on readin that one as well I always love a good book
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Bopeye

I've been eyeing this thread for a little while now and would like to get in on the book exchanging........sounds like I'm gonna have some time and reading about Alaska would be a good way to spend it.

I have watched some of that Alaskan Experiment Semp. Some of the people are pretty resourceful and creative, but I just don't think a few of them would last too long at all........ :nono:
It is fun to watch though.  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

desert dog

I am taking advantage of it while I am up here in Alaska.  Just took my first black bear a couple of weeks ago.   Big state will take some time for me to see parts of it.

Todd, see you down on the Kenai this summer.

Loren
www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

KySongDog

Coulter

PM me your address.  I can send the book out tomorrow or Saturday.  I should be finished by then.

I think you'll find it's an interesting book about a hard way of life. 

Semp

KySongDog

The book is in the mail to Coulter. 

Those people on the Alaska Experiment made it 3 months with a lot of help given to them.  And they left before the winter really got going good.  They wouldn't make a good pimple on Ol' Frank's hind end!   Talk about tough!  :biggrin:

Semp

Coulter

Nailbender...PM your address to me, when I get the book finished up I'll get it in the mail to you.

Steve