• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Recent posts

The Tailgate / Today in history 5-25
Last post by remrogers - Yesterday at 10:30:47 AM
May 25
Constitutional Convention begins

Four years after the United States won its independence from Great Britain, 55 state delegates, including George Washington, James Madison and Benjamin Franklin, convene in Philadelphia to compose a new U.S. constitution on May 25, 1787.

The Articles of Confederation, ratified several months before the British surrender at Yorktown in 1781, provided for a loose confederation of U.S. states, which were sovereign in most of their affairs. On paper, Congress—the central authority—had the power to govern foreign affairs, conduct war, and regulate currency, but in practice these powers were sharply limited because Congress was given no authority to enforce its requests to the states for money or troops. By 1786, it was apparent that the Union would soon break up if the Articles of Confederation were not amended or replaced. Five states met in Annapolis, Maryland, to discuss the issue, and all the states were invited to send delegates to a new constitutional convention to be held in Philadelphia.

On May 25, 1787, delegates representing every state except Rhode Island convened at Philadelphia's Pennsylvania State House for the Constitutional Convention. The building, which is now known as Independence Hall, had earlier seen the drafting of the Declaration of Independence and the signing of the Articles of Confederation. The assembly immediately discarded the idea of amending the Articles of Confederation and set about drawing up a new scheme of government. Revolutionary War hero George Washington, a delegate from Virginia, was elected convention president.

During three months of debate, the delegates devised a brilliant federal system characterized by an intricate system of checks and balances. The convention was divided over the issue of state representation in Congress, as more populated states sought proportional legislation, and smaller states wanted equal representation. The problem was resolved by the Connecticut Compromise, which proposed a bicameral legislature with proportional representation in the lower house (House of Representatives) and equal representation of the states in the upper house (Senate).

On September 17, 1787, the Constitution of the United States of America was signed by 38 of the 41 delegates present at the conclusion of the convention. As dictated by Article VII, the document would not become binding until it was ratified by nine of the 13 states.

Beginning on December 7, five states—Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, and Connecticut—ratified it in quick succession. However, other states, especially Massachusetts, opposed the document, as it failed to reserve un-delegated powers to the states and lacked constitutional protection of basic political rights, such as freedom of speech, religion, and the press. In February 1788, a compromise was reached under which Massachusetts and other states would agree to ratify the document with the assurance that amendments would be immediately proposed. The Constitution was thus narrowly ratified in Massachusetts, followed by Maryland and South Carolina. On June 21, 1788, New Hampshire became the ninth state to ratify the document, and it was subsequently agreed that government under the U.S. Constitution would begin on March 4, 1789.

On September 25, 1789, the first Congress of the United States adopted 12 amendments to the U.S. Constitution–the Bill of Rights–and sent them to the states for ratification. Ten of these amendments were ratified in 1791. In November 1789, North Carolina became the 12th state to ratify the U.S. Constitution. Rhode Island, which opposed federal control of currency and was critical of compromise on the issue of slavery, resisted ratifying the Constitution until the U.S. government threatened to sever commercial relations with the state. On May 29, 1790, Rhode Island voted by two votes to ratify the document, and the last of the original 13 colonies joined the United States. Today the U.S. Constitution is the oldest written national constitution in operation in the world.
The Tailgate / Today in history 5-24
Last post by remrogers - May 24, 2024, 08:56:40 AM
May 24
Brooklyn Bridge opens

After 14 years, the Brooklyn Bridge over the East River opens in 1883, connecting the great cities of New York and Brooklyn for the first time in history. Thousands of residents of Brooklyn and Manhattan Island turned out to witness the dedication ceremony, which was presided over by President Chester A. Arthur and New York Governor Grover Cleveland. Designed by the late John A. Roebling, the Brooklyn Bridge was the largest suspension bridge ever built to that date.

John Roebling, born in Germany in 1806, was a great pioneer in the design of steel suspension bridges. He studied industrial engineering in Berlin and at the age of 25 immigrated to western Pennsylvania, where he attempted, unsuccessfully, to make his living as a farmer. He later moved to the state capital in Harrisburg, where he found work as a civil engineer. He promoted the use of wire cable and established a successful wire-cable factory.

Meanwhile, he earned a reputation as a designer of suspension bridges, which at the time were widely used but known to fail under strong winds or heavy loads. Roebling is credited with a major breakthrough in suspension-bridge technology: a web truss added to either side of the bridge roadway that greatly stabilized the structure. Using this model, Roebling successfully bridged the Niagara Gorge at Niagara Falls, New York, and the Ohio River at Cincinnati, Ohio. On the basis of these achievements, New York State accepted Roebling's design for a bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan–with a span of 1,595 feet–and appointed him chief engineer. It was to be the world's first steel suspension bridge.

Just before construction began in 1869, Roebling was fatally injured while taking a few final compass readings across the East River. A boat smashed the toes on one of his feet, and three weeks later he died of tetanus. He was the first of more than two dozen people who would die building his bridge. His 32-year-old son, Washington A. Roebling, took over as chief engineer. Roebling had worked with his father on several bridges and had helped design the Brooklyn Bridge.

The two granite foundations of the Brooklyn Bridge were built on timber caissons, or watertight chambers, sunk to depths of 44 feet on the Brooklyn side and 78 feet on the New York side. Compressed air pressurized the caissons, allowing underwater construction. At that time, little was known of the risks of working under such conditions, and more than a hundred workers suffered from cases of compression sickness. Compression sickness, or the "bends," is caused by the appearance of nitrogen bubbles in the bloodstream that result from rapid decompression. Several died, and Washington Roebling himself became bedridden from the condition in 1872. Other workers died as a result of more conventional construction accidents, such as collapses and a fire.

Roebling continued to direct construction operations from his home with the help of his wife Emily. In fact, Emily developed such an expertise in the project and construction that she effectively assumed the role of chief engineer and spokesperson for her husband. In 1877, Washington and Emily moved into a home with a view of the bridge. Roebling's health gradually improved, but he remained partially paralyzed for the rest of his life. On May 24, 1883, Emily Roebling was given the first ride over the completed bridge, with a rooster, a symbol of victory, in her lap. Within 24 hours, an estimated 250,000 people walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, using a broad promenade above the roadway that John Roebling designed solely for the enjoyment of pedestrians.

The Brooklyn Bridge, with its unprecedented length and two stately towers, was dubbed the "eighth wonder of the world." The connection it provided between the massive population centers of Brooklyn and Manhattan changed the course of New York City forever. In 1898, the city of Brooklyn formally merged with New York City, Staten Island, and a few farm towns, forming Greater New York.
Firearms / Re: My favorite squirrel gun.
Last post by nastygunz - May 23, 2024, 03:20:52 PM
I had a 2X scope on it but found it hard to stay on the bushytails in the thick woods here. The red dot is super quick on target :yoyo: . The eyes don't pick up the iron sights and the beads as good as they used to and I have become a big fan of using red dots. I have been saying for years that I am going to try one for crow hunting with a shotgun but never have but now I have a red dot and mount that I'm going to put on a shotgun and see how it works out this fall.
Firearms / Re: My favorite squirrel gun.
Last post by Okanagan - May 23, 2024, 02:21:37 PM
Space Age!  Looks like it would be fun to shoot, especially at small game.  Would love to have had that for grouse in northern BC, if only it were legal...

The Tailgate / Re: Election 2024
Last post by Okanagan - May 23, 2024, 02:17:14 PM
Wow.  Good for WV!  That kind of voter confirmation and checking is unthinkable in Washington.

I think we were the first state to go mail in voting, years ago.  When the Republican Senator won by a small margin, they had recount after recount, adding more Democrat votes each time until the Dem finally won, then they quit counting and gave the win to the Dem.  Each time the Republican would win a recount, the next day the election officials would say, "Oops, we just found several boxes of ballots we missed when we counted.  We have to add those in."  I know it sounds like I am making this up, but it exactly what happened, at least according to the liberal media.

The leftists Seattle newspaper wrote an editorial after the election that said, "We believe the election was honest, but if you wanted to make it look crooked, you could not do anything to make it look worse."

P.S. Congrats on your county commissioner win!

Firearms / Re: Legend has it....
Last post by Hawks Feather - May 23, 2024, 09:32:26 AM
I had a GP100 and it was heavy enough to do that, but I think your statement is an urban myth.
The Tailgate / Today in history 5-23
Last post by remrogers - May 23, 2024, 09:01:31 AM
May 23
William Carney becomes first Black American to earn the Medal of Honor

Recognized for heroically protecting the American flag during the Civil War, Army Sgt. William Harvey Carney receives the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration, on May 23, 1900.

The first Black American service member to earn the award, Carney was born into slavery in Virginia in 1840. Although a handful of other Black service members had already received the medal, Carney's award celebrated an earlier action. He was one of many Civil War-era honorees to be granted the medal decades later.

Although he was born into slavery, Carney's family relocated to Massachusetts (reports vary on whether they were freed or escaped), and, in 1863, Carney joined the Union Army as part of the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment, the first Black regiment from the North to serve in the war.

"I had a strong inclination to prepare myself for the ministry; but when the country called for all persons, I could best serve my God by serving my country and my oppressed brothers," Carney wrote in 1863. "The sequel is short—I enlisted for the war."

It was during his unit's first major battle that Carney saw the flag bearer get hit by bullets, and rushed to catch the flag from him before it hit the ground. "Despite suffering several serious gunshot wounds himself, Carney kept the symbol of the Union held high as he crawled up the hill to the walls of Fort Wagner, urging his fellow troops to follow him," according to the U.S. Army. "He planted the flag in the sand at the base of the fort and held it upright until his near-lifeless body was rescued."

Carney's injuries resulted in an honorable discharge, and he returned to Massachusetts, where he worked for the postal service and as a messenger at the Massachusetts State House.
The Tailgate / Re: Election 2024
Last post by msmith - May 23, 2024, 06:51:58 AM
I definitely don't have any faith in anything federal anymore. Fortunately, WV state elections are secure, probably the most secure in the US. Our Secretary of State cleaned house when he got elected and took thousands of dead people of the register. He secured the counties election processes and made it easy and secure for deployed military personnel to vote. When the election is canvassed, a group of peers, the county clerk's office, and the county commission pick a random voting precinct and compare every paper ballot with the computer, that is in no way connected to the internet, to ensure and prove that the software is correct and hasn't been tampered with. Then in every other precinct, we count every D ballot, every R ballot, and every Mountain ballot as well as any no partisan ballot, plus unused ballots and compare that with the computer tally. This ensures that every ballot cast was counted, and every unused ballot is accounted for and not hiding in a corner waiting to be cast later.

On a plus side here, the whole state has flipped from blue to red, blue counties are flipping to red, and my county now has more "No Party" voter than blue with 2/3 being red.

I also was able to squeak past 3 other candidates to be re-elected as county commissioner. Yay, I think lol
Firearms / Legend has it....
Last post by nastygunz - May 22, 2024, 09:29:58 PM
That Daniel Boone beat a bar to death with a Ruger GP100... :innocentwhistle: