• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

This Years Float Hunt

Started by Tikaani, September 22, 2022, 01:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Hope everyone is doing well. Just returned from seven days in the Brooks Range float hunting for moose. We were supposed to be there for two weeks but a 60" bull saw things differently. We flew into one of the Forks of the Koyukuk River with a Beaver on floats. We have done this hunt before and enjoy it for its solitude, we never see a soul or any human activity.

These big bulls in remote areas are a lot of work, in this area it is required that the meat remains on the bone until you get it home. This bull was across the river and once quartered and bagged was rope winched to the bank and shuttled across to camp, hung and covered. Floated out 25 miles the following day (total float is about 70 miles), set up camp and emptied the raft, hung the meat and cleaned the raft of all the blood, loosing my raft to bears would be disastrous. Next day repeat the day before until you reach the take out point. Got him home and butchered, 450 lbs of meat. 

Make no mistake though, I would not trade this for anything.

Living the Life
John

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment. 
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

pitw

My, we do have different ways of gathering moose meat.  Yours is more romantic but mine is a lot easier. :laf:
Good job as usual. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the pictures here and in the second post. 450 pounds of meat is pretty awesome. The chance of having a bear decide that it would rather have the meat than allow you to have it is a different story.

Okanagan

What a trip!  Love it!  Thanks for the pics. 

nastygunz

what is that strapping lad in the middle packing in that chest holster?

JohnP

I remember when I killed my first, and only, moose.  When I walked up to it I looked at my knife and then the moose and thought to myself "what in the hell did I just do."

Thanks for all the photos John I really enjoy them. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Tikaani

Quote from: nastygunz on September 24, 2022, 12:38:32 AMwhat is that strapping lad in the middle packing in that chest holster?

It is a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, 44 Mag.

nastygunz

Ihave a Ruger GP-100 .357, one chunk of steel!

nastygunz

Kenai Chest holster if my eyes do not deceive me.

Tikaani

Quote from: nastygunz on September 24, 2022, 03:44:16 PMRuger Rules!

I carry a standard Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag. w/7.5" barrel. I think he had the holster made in Fairbanks.

nastygunz

we have girly bears here, I usually carry my Glock 17, 18 rounds FMJ 9mm. Ive bagged 3 deer with my GP100.

coyote101

Looks like great fun, John.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Ruger :eyebrownod:

"living the life" is right. I envy you.
450 lb of meat is a sweet deal. Thanks for sharing that trip with us, definitely looks like an enjoyable experience.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com