• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Coon season is almost over

Started by coyote101, February 28, 2023, 11:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

We've been out a couple of times since the first of the year and done alright. The season ends today, so we are going to give it one more shot tonight. I think we have taken twenty-five coons off of this property in the past year, and a few more from a property directly across the river. I don't know if it has actually helped my turkey population, but I saw a flock of sixty-four one morning last week, and I hadn't seen anywhere near that in several years. Maybe the coons we took last spring helped with last years hatch?

No more turkey eggs for these bandits:

This big fellow dealt us fits. He stretched out on a limb like a squirrel would, and made it really hard to see him. We ultimately prevailed, but it took several shots before he fell:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

JohnP

Pat, I'm sure you have helped the turkey population immensely.  Is there a market for the fur?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Good work on clearing out some tree bandits. As for hide prices, coon fetch about $1.00 intact around here. I believe that the carcass brings around that amount so basically you are getting paid nothing for the fur.

nastygunz

When I was a kid, we used to make some good money with coon hides, not anymore.

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on February 28, 2023, 12:36:13 PMPat, I'm sure you have helped the turkey population immensely. 
I hope so, John. It certainly can't have hurt.

Quote from: JohnP on February 28, 2023, 12:36:13 PMIs there a market for the fur?
Not really. I offered to give them to a local trapper, but he said with the current fur prices they aren't worth the trouble.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

remrogers

The vast majority of the coon market collapsed with the sanctions against Russia.  There is a young fella, from Iowa, who is taking advantage of the lack of competition. He trapped 1500 coon this past season. He goes by "Next Gen Trapper" on You tube, if you are interested.

FinsnFur

I hope you wore a hat. That reflection got me turning down my monitor brightness :huh:
Fur prices have got local trappers doing other things around here. I'm seeing more and more coon out on the river bottoms here .
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I have a few of those from my muzzleloading days. Would put a small nail in the end and use it to clean flash holes and percussion caps. You would also see quite a few of them being used as toothpicks back in the primitive camp at the national muzzleloading shoot.

nastygunz

$47.88 for a coyote skull! Furbearer hunters, and trappers, might need to look for alternative uses for the animal, other than the traditional hide.