• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Any info on Icotec electronic callers?

Started by Okanagan, December 17, 2020, 12:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Am getting close to buying a new electronic call.  The Icotec Sabre has my focus at the moment.  Am open to any cautions about that call or that company.  FWIW they offer a 20% discount to military veterans and law enforcement.

pitw

I'm absolutely positive you won't want my feedback. :alscalls:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

I've never personally owned one of the Icotecs but they are one of the leaders. I know people that sell them and I know people on their staff. I've never heard a bad word about them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

I have the ICOtec gc500 and it works well for out here in the wide-open spaces.  Don't know how well it would work in the heavy timber, but I suppose it would be just as good.  Comes with a wide variety of sounds to include some from WT. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Good info, Jim and John.  Thanks. 

John, how is the Icotec remote in terms of function, other than range?  How easy to use?  Does it respond quickly and accurately to each command?

I did a few stands with a borrowed Foxpro Inferno recently and the remote was a pain to use.  I called Foxpro and apparently it needs to be sent in for repair.

Sometimes it took 14 times pressing the same button to get it to respond, and other times it worked with one poke of the button.  Other times it would jump way off to the wrong sound or function instead of the one labeled.  I usually use two sounds on a stand, alternating between prey distress and vocals of the animal I am after. 

I was interested in the FP Fusion but recent scanning of hunting forums shows multiple people who have problems with FP remotes.  I thought they had their remote problems of ten or 15 years ago fixed but am wary now, and that has slopped over to caution about any remote.  In years past had a bit of trouble one time with the old Loudmouth caller remote and one time with a Wildlife Tech call that would play the wrong sound once in awhile, though that may have been operator error.  Depending on the wrong sound, it can ruin the stand.

That old Minaska really spoiled me.  I looked all over for a used one but will have to settle for a new gizmo with more bells and whistles than I will ever use, and each one of them adds something else to go wrong.  Alas for simple!

nastygunz

I still have my old foxpro FX3 that I use and I've never had a single problem with it and probably will keep on using it despite the slew of new callers from many different manufacturers.  Whatever you get I have some killer sounds I could send you if you like.

KySongDog

Quote from: Okanagan on December 18, 2020, 12:14:08 PM

I was interested in the FP Fusion but recent scanning of hunting forums shows multiple people who have problems with FP remotes.  I thought they had their remote problems of ten or 15 years ago fixed but am wary now, and that has slopped over to caution about any remote.

For what its worth, I have a Fusion and have had zero problems with it. The remote works great.  I may have just been lucky but so far I have no complaints with the caller.  It has a bunch of functions I don't use such as foxcast, foxmotion, foxpitch, etc.  so I haven't tried those functions to see how they perform.  If you need any more info on it, let me know. 

nastygunz

I had a Flextone that worked pretty good too.

Okanagan

Quote from: KySongDog on December 18, 2020, 01:03:43 PM
Quote from: Okanagan on December 18, 2020, 12:14:08 PM

I was interested in the FP Fusion but recent scanning of hunting forums shows multiple people who have problems with FP remotes.  I thought they had their remote problems of ten or 15 years ago fixed but am wary now, and that has slopped over to caution about any remote.

For what its worth, I have a Fusion and have had zero problems with it. The remote works great.  I may have just been lucky but so far I have no complaints with the caller.  It has a bunch of functions I don't use such as foxcast, foxmotion, foxpitch, etc.  so I haven't tried those functions to see how they perform.  If you need any more info on it, let me know.

Thanks!  Good report, and more what I expected.  Man I wish we lived closer so I could play around with your Fusion for a few minutes and also see if any of my plug in speakers and motion decoys worked with it.

KySongDog

The Fusion will accept a 3.5mm external speaker plug and should work if the speaker is 8 ohm.  For example, the Foxpro SP-60 speaker is 8 ohm and 10 watts.

As for decoys, the Fusion works with a Foxjack 4 decoy which attaches by replacing the battery compartment door. I don't believe any other decoy will work with it unless, possibly, you do some cutting and splicing of the wires.   I don't know of anyone that has tried that though.

nastygunz

Amazing amount of callers available on the market now. Back in the day there was only foxpro Minaska and wildlife technologies and they weren't cheap.

MI VHNTR

I picked up an Icotec GC 300 a while back. It works well, but I'd like to be able to add some of my own sounds. So I'm going get rid of it and get a programmable Icotec. Remote function is far better than the foxpros that I've used and I've had a bunch of them.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

msmith

Quote from: nastygunz on December 18, 2020, 12:26:43 PM
I still have my old foxpro FX3 that I use and I've never had a single problem with it and probably will keep on using it despite the slew of new callers from many different manufacturers.  Whatever you get I have some killer sounds I could send you if you like.

Same here. Called a dog in with it just the other day. Plan on workin' 'em some this week with it.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

JohnP

"John, how is the Icotec remote in terms of function, other than range?  How easy to use?  Does it respond quickly and accurately to each command?"

I have no problems with mine, easy to use, quick response time, and very accurate to the commands.
What I really like is favorites - you have two favorite channels with three sounds per channel.

Hate to recommend something to somebody, I may like it and they may not or.  So I'll say this if I had to do it all over again - I would.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs