• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bar!

Started by nastygunz, September 30, 2022, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Brother popped a nice eating size one:

Okanagan

Dandy!  Looks like a good coat on it as well.  How far was the shot?

Grandson Code was helping me look for elk earlier this week, and he walked up on a pretty big bear sleeping in the shade and it acted annoyed at him.  His younger brother, Zay, plans to go back and look for it. While glassing Code saw two more smaller bears.  He's the bear magnet this year. 

We were total bust on elk:  they were absolutely silent all week, and they are holed up somewhere, not moving and not making tracks anywhere near a road or trail my old bod can navigate.  We could not locate one to hunt. Weirdest elk behaviour we've ever encountered during what is supposed to be the rut.

nastygunz

About 40 yards, The state is 95% forested so none of us are long distance gunners. I did not realize until a little while ago that Elk were once native here and got hunted out and now they won't bring them back for some reason.

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on October 01, 2022, 09:01:52 PMAbout 40 yards, The state is 95% forested so none of us are long distance gunners. I did not realize until a little while ago that Elk were once native here and got hunted out and now they won't bring them back for some reason.

Too bad they won't bring elk back.  Elk are grazers and eat grass, so ranchers with cows on range land don't like elk.  In the Chilcotin region of BC the ranchers did all they could for decades to keep elk out.  A rancher friend of mine in Wyoming was the same but he finally started a guided elk hunt operation and now I suspect, (and hope) that he's making way more from guided elk hunters than the value of the grass the elk eat. 

That's such a pretty coat on your brother's bear I'd be tempted to cut the hide into an oval and tan it, no legs nor head.

FinsnFur

Beautiful! How was the fur? God I hated degreasing those things when I was tanning hides for people. uhhhg.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Really good coat!